Salt water battery box?

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2018 at 10:35 AM, Kanine Kleenup said:

I bought a minn Kota battery box a couple years ago and it corroded from the salt exposure on my kayak.. does anyone know of a salt water rated battery box? Thanks!

Brian

Is this for a motor drive or for sonar unit?  Lot of guys make waterproof boxes for electronics 12V batteries out of ammo cans or pelican cases, etc.  (I used $4 Plano waterproof ammo can ) For a full size car battery for a motor... that's different.

The Great Big Jig in the Sky...Shine on you crazy diamond jig.

rsz_2aa17withhook.jpg

Cat on ebay, sells 20AH 12V LifePo4 batts for $80. Bees knees, tiny, light, 1000s of charge cycles, fully protected against shorts, over charge/discharge and so on.

Harbor Freight sells watertight plastic 50cal Ammo Box for few bux. Assuming that battery fits in it, it will probably float .

For connectors, XT60, few bux for 10 pairs. Gold plated (wont corrode), rated to 60 continuous amps (nothing else like it). Heat shrink 

I too struggled to find the perfect container and location to store a led acid battery in my yak.

Took some creative juices and trial and error.

I made a battery box that I fits snuggly in the hatch under my Hobie PA12 seat out of a T-FAL (like Tupperware) air tight container, I think it is there 3ish liter size. I had to disassemble and modify the lid as battery was a tiny bit to tall and drill one hole for wires (siliconed). Has worked perfect all season, never have to remove battery for charging. Granted I haven't ruled or tumbled in the surf, but is hasn't moved at all as well.

battery box 1.JPG

I've used the Minn Kota box for three years now, no battery, nor terminal corrosion. I load the USB ports and terminals with dielectric grease, and use rubber boot terminal covers to deflect splashes. Now all the screws on it did rust out after a few weeks, so I replaced them with stainless screws from the hardware store. 

I, Spoiler

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/4/2018 at 5:27 PM, CT Stripes said:

I've used the Minn Kota box for three years now, no battery, nor terminal corrosion. I load the USB ports and terminals with dielectric grease, and use rubber boot terminal covers to deflect splashes. Now all the screws on it did rust out after a few weeks, so I replaced them with stainless screws from the hardware store. 

Guys, keep in mind that dielectric grease is sort-of a conductor.  You shouldn't use it where there are multiple conductors such as two wires from a battery or several pins inside abolug for fish finder transducer plug.  You don't want electrons flowing between the conductors.  Dielectric grease is used on a single point of connection... usually for higher current applications, to make sure flow of electricity is good across the connection and no arcing occurs...esp with aluminum wire.  If you want to waterproof a plug connection like USB, or transducer, just use regular grease.

The Great Big Jig in the Sky...Shine on you crazy diamond jig.

rsz_2aa17withhook.jpg