Sam3631

Why Are There So Many Van Staals For Sale

Rate this topic

81 posts in this topic

I was just checking out the BST threads and I see several Van Staal reels for sale.  

Why do so many people offer them up for sale?

I started surf fishing last year and am trying to figure things out along the way.  I just assumed that a Van Staal is the “ultimate” reel and possibly the goal to buy for fisherman.

Mike

Edited by Sam3631

32 mins ago, Sam3631 said:

I was just checking out the BST threads and I see several Van Staal reels for sale.  

I started surf fishing last year and am trying to figure things out along the way.  I just assumed that a Van Staal is the “ultimate” reel and possibly the goal to buy for fisherman.

Mike

My guess is that people realized it's not the reel that catches the fish

A lot of the people who are reselling are weekend warriors or people who hear vs and know its the new thing so they must have it without knowing its innards and applications.  Idk how many people ive seen around fenwick, bethany, o.c. etc that are sand spiking vs/zb's and while i dont own any, that just makes me think they dont deserve it and makes want to go over take their reel and switch it with mine.

You’re both assuming the VS for sale is the only one the person owns.   Many people have several VS and ZB’s....and Penns....and....    sometimes it’s just thinning the herd.

I traded a VS for a kayak here.  I still have a VS and two ZB’s.

Your going to see alot for sale this time of yr ! Guys buy them during the season now that its over they need xmass money or whatever! 

Its the best time to work a good deal on any fishing gear!

While they do serve a purpose most other reels cannot, they are kinda old tech now. I sold mine last year after almost 10 years of service. I'm actually much happier with my Penn slammers other than being a little heavier. 

5 mins ago, shark lobster said:

Your going to see alot for sale this time of yr ! Guys buy them during the season now that its over they need xmass money or whatever! 

52 mins ago, Sam3631 said:

Mike

Unless you dunk your reel, there are much better reels for surf fishing for much less money. 

21 mins ago, levari said:

Unless you dunk your reel, there are much better reels for surf fishing for much less money. 

There are not much better reels for much less money.

Thanks.  Seems like all the reasons are good ones.

I use a Battle II that I allow to get splashed.  Don’t take very good care of it.  It’s doing weird things now.  Spins in reverse sometimes, gets really hard to reel sometimes.  Then it goes back to normal.  Guess the good reels are worth it.  

Not time for a Van Staal for me but maybe a Spinfisher or Slammer!

Thanks

Mike

31 mins ago, shark lobster said:

And on the back side of that, VS hold their value so when I guy decides he has got to do some cleaning and looks at his box of stuff and says what still has the most value and what can I sell easily.

The VS will probably be at the top of his list.

I have three of them, but I fish places like cutty and Montauk and block. Places like that its a n invaluable tool.

But like Levari said not everyone needs a VS, just my .02

15 mins ago, Trialesquire said:

There are not much better reels for much less money.

Really? I own 4 VS and one ZB and I only use them when I wet suiting. I use my Shimano, Daiwa and Penn reels for all other applications. The other reels are smoother, sufficient drag for stripers and blues and no need to spend high $$$ to buy, service or repair. 

Edited by levari

2 mins ago, Sam3631 said:

I use a Battle II that I allow to get splashed.  Don’t take very good care of it.  It’s doing weird things now.  Spins in reverse sometimes, gets really hard to reel sometimes.  Then it goes back to normal.  Guess the good reels are worth it.  

Van Staals hold their value, use them for years and still sell for close to what you paid. You might not get half the selling price you paid for your battle II even if you bumped the thread every day for a year. 

9 mins ago, Sam3631 said:

Thanks.  Seems like all the reasons are good ones.

Thanks

Mike

Gosa trust me