North Fork Composites Sale 65% off Blanks

Rate this topic

snooker

For me it is good but not ideal, but that depends on your field of use. I built mine for fishing in salt water where single handed rods even in a 10wt were overwhelmed by conditions. It works, but isn't ideal. The tip is a little soft (think extra fast action) and the blank isn't quite as powerful as I had hoped but the blank is very light. My finished rod weighed 8.4 ounces. I wouldn't go over 525 grains on this rod total head mass when casting overhead. I have never spey cast with it. 

For me it's a little short, a touch soft, and the action is a little too fast. But its probably better than anything commercially available for two handing in salt water. I built a Pac Bay 1409-4 spey rod that I cut down to 13' (all from the tip) and that thing has way more guts than the NFC SA1235-2. Pac bay throws a minimum of 650 grains and does it with more fortitude than the NFC throws 525. But the pac bay is a heavier blank and 4pc instead of 2. I paid ~$150 for both. Id say it depends on how much mass you want to throw and where you want to throw it. Both are great blanks. The NFC is better suited towards back bays and the pac bay is more of an oceanfront rod. 

Long story short is it gets you in the game and for what it is it's a hell of a rod. If you're not interested in fly fishing when it's super rough out then the NFC is your best choice.

12 mins ago, RedGreen said:

For me it is good but not ideal, but that depends on your field of use. I built mine for fishing in salt water where single handed rods even in a 10wt were overwhelmed by conditions. It works, but isn't ideal. The tip is a little soft (think extra fast action) and the blank isn't quite as powerful as I had hoped but the blank is very light. My finished rod weighed 8.4 ounces. I wouldn't go over 525 grains on this rod total head mass when casting overhead. I have never spey cast with it. 

For me it's a little short, a touch soft, and the action is a little too fast. But its probably better than anything commercially available for two handing in salt water. I built a Pac Bay 1409-4 spey rod that I cut down to 13' (all from the tip) and that thing has way more guts than the NFC SA1235-2. Pac bay throws a minimum of 650 grains and does it with more fortitude than the NFC throws 525. But the pac bay is a heavier blank and 4pc instead of 2. I paid ~$150 for both. Id say it depends on how much mass you want to throw and where you want to throw it. Both are great blanks. The NFC is better suited towards back bays and the pac bay is more of an oceanfront rod. 

Long story short is it gets you in the game and for what it is it's a hell of a rod. If you're not interested in fly fishing when it's super rough out then the NFC is your best choice.

10-4. Thank you! :th:

Terri Mae does not approve this message, but screw him.

On 12/7/2018 at 8:20 AM, RedGreen said:

I did coat it with permagloss myself but it was a nightmare to do and I really don't want to ever do it again if I can help it. I couldn't get as good a finish as a rod from a factory might have had. I probably wasn't doing the best job myself so that could be largely the issue but I think I'll refrain from doing it again due to the difficulty I experienced. 

If I were going to clear coat a blank I'd look into Spraymax 2K or automotive clear coat out of a Preval sprayer.

"...we used a tracking method."  - Dale Monroe

On 12/17/2018 at 4:15 PM, TJones said:

Just discovered this sale today myself... Holy moly darn good deal! Especially for those of us without a business license and wholesale pricing, lol

I ordered mine 7'2 ultra light on 11/23

still hasn't shipped....

"Panacheless is no way to go through life"

Tims

2 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

I ordered mine 7'2 ultra light on 11/23

still hasn't shipped....

Oh no, lol... it said 2 to 3 weeks when I ordered. That doesn’t give me a lot of hope, lol. I ordered two HM 7’6” 2 piece hot shot blanks, will see how it goes I guess. Price was definitely right!

Second that. My order took a long time to come through. Still made it fine. Carrier really botched the packaging as it was severely compromised but not a fault of NFC, just FedEx I believe. They make these blanks to order so it tends to take a while, or so I think. 

If there is a 50-65% sale going on for 3 years straight, it's not a sale. Those are the prices the blanks cost. Great marketting plan to give people the perception they are saving money, especially in the fishing world where apparantly the cheapest mfers run rampant

"the internet is the greatest platform for people who don't know anything, to tell people how much they don't know, to people who don't know anything and believe everything they read."
-Billy 40:16

1 hour ago, Billy 40 said:

If there is a 50-65% sale going on for 3 years straight, it's not a sale. Those are the prices the blanks cost. Great marketting plan to give people the perception they are saving money, especially in the fishing world where apparantly the cheapest mfers run rampant

Gary Loomis, cheap mfer... that’s the first I’ve heard that one lol

• TimS locked this topic