snooker

North Fork Composites Sale 65% off Blanks

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

I stumbled upon this by accident.  North Fork Composites is having a big sale on blanks. 

For over 20 years, my favorite light surf rod has been a G Loomis steelhead back bouncing rod (BB964-2) that I built back in the day.  It has served me very well, been rewrapped twice and I wouldn't mind having another one.  I just recently found out the Gary Loomis is making the blank again under the North Fork Composites name.  Getting it at a 65% discount with free shipping was awesome.

On 11/21/2018 at 3:27 PM, snooker said:

I stumbled upon this by accident.  North Fork Composites is having a big sale on blanks. 

For over 20 years, my favorite light surf rod has been a G Loomis steelhead back bouncing rod (BB964-2) that I built back in the day.  It has served me very well, been rewrapped twice and I wouldn't mind having another one.  I just recently found out the Gary Loomis is making the blank again under the North Fork Composites name.  Getting it at a 65% discount with free shipping was awesome.

I saw this too, i grabbed 2 Deltas and can’t wait to start building. 7’6” 3/8-2 1/4

Gary has been making the blanks for years and now in conjunction with his new line of Edge Rods which are some of the very best rods I've ever used. !

Those blanks are a bargain for sure , I've built rods on them that I've used for the pasr five seasons Light and powerful with great tapers !

5 hours ago, westhavendave said:

Interesting specs on the surf blanks, for $94.50, might be a good deal, hard to find reviews. 

I'll probably pull the trigger on one but which one? 

If the ratings are accurate 1 to 3oz. will be too light but 2 to 8 oz. seems heavy. :headscratch:

5 hours ago, woodbutcher said:

I'll probably pull the trigger on one but which one? 

If the ratings are accurate 1 to 3oz. will be too light but 2 to 8 oz. seems heavy. :headscratch:

I would probably go for the heavy stick as a canal and breachway rod where I fish, I already have the other ranges covered.  

Yup, I went with the 2 to 8 oz.

Also ordered MB 808 1(HM), 1/2 to 1 1/2 . This was a toss up with HS 821 1(HM) 3/3 to 4. Regardless of which one I ordered, I'll wonder about the one that I didn't. 

2 hours ago, woodbutcher said:

Yup, I went with the 2 to 8 oz.

Also ordered MB 808 1(HM), 1/2 to 1 1/2 . This was a toss up with HS 821 1(HM) 3/3 to 4. Regardless of which one I ordered, I'll wonder about the one that I didn't. 

LOL.  That's human nature in a nutshell   ....  the girl you didn't get.  :laugh:

I got a salmon/steelhead blank from them I built as a two handed fly rod. The ferrules stuck bad but as soon as I finished the rod and put the ferrule wrap along with all the other wraps on and applied finish the ferrule no longer stuck and was just absolutely perfect. 

Blank was an SA1235-2. 

As far as blanks go, the only thing I wished was that it had some sort of clear coat finish to protect the graphite. That's it. Everything else was great. 

15 hours ago, RedGreen said:

I got a salmon/steelhead blank from them I built as a two handed fly rod. The ferrules stuck bad but as soon as I finished the rod and put the ferrule wrap along with all the other wraps on and applied finish the ferrule no longer stuck and was just absolutely perfect. 

Blank was an SA1235-2. 

As far as blanks go, the only thing I wished was that it had some sort of clear coat finish to protect the graphite. That's it. Everything else was great. 

Two things:

1) You can coat your rod with Permagloss -- this, as I understand it, is a pretty close match for the finish that is applied at the factory. Do it outside -- the stuff stinks -- but you absolutely can put a clear coat on a naked graphite blank if you want the look and a bit of extra durability.

2) Thank you for the tip. I've been looking for a two-handed blank project for a while, and at $103 shipped in the current NFC sale, that's just the ticket. I salute you, comrade! :th:

20 mins ago, Belmo said:

Two things:

1) You can coat your rod with Permagloss -- this, as I understand it, is a pretty close match for the finish that is applied at the factory. Do it outside -- the stuff stinks -- but you absolutely can put a clear coat on a naked graphite blank if you want the look and a bit of extra durability.

2) Thank you for the tip. I've been looking for a two-handed blank project for a while, and at $103 shipped in the current NFC sale, that's just the ticket. I salute you, comrade! :th:

Belmo,

I did coat it with permagloss myself but it was a nightmare to do and I really don't want to ever do it again if I can help it. I couldn't get as good a finish as a rod from a factory might have had. I probably wasn't doing the best job myself so that could be largely the issue but I think I'll refrain from doing it again due to the difficulty I experienced.