Followers 0
Sudsy

Book Review - A Cast in the Woods by Stephen Saunter

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

A Cast in the Woods

by Stephen Saunter

(Our very own CS here on SOL)

Once again Steve weaves a series of vignettes that draw you deep into his world, this time it revolves around a little cabin on a tiny trout stream in the Catskills of New York state. It’s a world of deep woods, relaxing evenings by the fire, chirping birds, rising trout, destructive storms, and marauding mice.

(I can only imagine what the outcome would be if a nesting mouse tried to take some of my wife’s hair while she was sleeping. She’d probably burn the place down with a flamethrower, me still in it.)

I need to clearly state that I am NOT by any means a “trout guy”. The only time I’m happy to see a six-inch fish, no matter how pretty it is, is when it’s destined to be fed to something much larger. That being said I read the book in two sittings. Not only could I not put it down, but it drew me so deeply into a world I’m not at all familiar with that I’m actually toying with the idea of breaking out that old dusty three weight to see if any of these old dry flies I gathered somewhere in the long forgotten past might fool a small but very pretty fish. I’m sure the temptation to feed it to something larger will be strong, but I promise to gently release it.

If you’re a pinky up, chardonnay drinking, dry fly guy this is an absolutely must own, forefront of your library, book. For the hairy chested, pounding surf crowd, beware, this book could have you looking at tiny #22 hooks in an Orvis shop and wishing for a cup of fine bourbon by a fire near a tiny stream.

Sudsy, Thanks for the heads-up and review.  I will look for this book.

"The only time I am happy to see a six-inch fish, no matter how pretty it is, is when it's destined to be fed to something much larger."  Now that's funny!

Sudsy, what a great endorsement.  I also don’t fish fresh water, but am really curious about the book.  It’s a long, cold fishless winter.  I need something to help pass the days and this sounds like it might be just the ticket. Thanks for the heads up

On 11/23/2018 at 5:24 PM, HKJonathan said:

I also don’t fish fresh water, but am really curious about the book.  It’s a long, cold fishless winter.  I need something to help pass the days and this sounds like it might be just the ticket. Thanks for the heads up

You'll definitely want this one too !!

Thanks for the kind words, Sudsy.  Here's are two pics: a fingerling from my stream, and an 18-inch 'bow from the Delaware (about two miles downstream)...  Pretty cool to think it could have been born in my little creek. We get spawners in the creek every season, but I rarely see them.  bow.jpg.85f23dc400216f2c7bb808bac20ffc3c.jpg

baby bow.jpg