ghost

Two piece rod, butt over tip or tip over butt?

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Is there an advantage to how the rod is put together?  Recently purchase two new surf rods and each is assembled differently and I was wondering  if there is an advantage to either?

Oh! You mean like an “innie” (the old fashioned way where the top section is put into a recess in the bottom section) versus an “outtie”? Seems like the vast majority of newer rods, decent options and up, use the method where the butt section goes inside of the tip section. 

Honestly, my best bet is that it doesn’t matter much as long as it’s a quality design, brand and model. The blanks are designed from scratch with their chosen method. However, I’ve had an “old fashioned” (bottom is female) rod where the two pieces got stuck together and it was difficult to separate them. I can’t see having that much of an issue with the pieces stuck together using a rod with the  newer joining method (top section is the female).

In all the rods I have in two or three pieces, it is the bottom section that protrudes into the upper one. 

In the case of a fishing pole, more density of material is supposed to be in the lower end and gradually diminishes as you go to the top, so the logic would be that the protruding heavier element be part of the bottom section to favor the continuity of the curve from stiffer to more supple. 

Conceptually, two hollow segments are linked with a third part that is common to both, this common part is bonded to one of the segments with glue hence heavier, so it better be in the lower part than the upper in order to least interrupt the progressive bend.     

If I were to overthink it, I would say the tip over butt (female tip/male butt) would be the better design.

The female section, being hollow, would be slightly weaker than the male, and so would actually contribute more flex moving up the taper.  Either way, the joint tends to be a bit stiffer than the rest of the rod.

For a surf rod that spends any time in a spike on a windy, sandy beach, the female tip design should (theoretically) be better at preventing sand or water from working its way down into the joint. 

The female tip also adds to the diameter, giving the angler a larger area to grasp on the tip when breaking down the rod. (Speaking of grasping, I may be doing it now)

I do tend to overthink things, my theories often prove wrong, and  I cant say I have ever noticed any issues or problems that could be attributed to either design.

Posted (edited) · Report post

In my experience with both, I like the butt over the tip. The tip over the butt can give ya a better chance for vapor lock and not getting the two pieces apart easy or not at all. :howdy:

Edited by jimmy z

Tip in butt is harder to make and would typically cost more to manufacture. Some daiwa rods use this design and it does make for a better feel imo and more tip action. Strength wise I dont think it makes a difference providing it is done right. Most rods are made the other way so tip in butt is becoming much more rare. Two of my favorite rods of all time are the 1st gen daiwa tds surf and the star aerial surf 8 ft. Both are made tip in butt and I believe that is what makes them such a pleasure to fish with.

Ksong goes into great detail about this in one of his threads about his Black hole rods. I won’t go into detail but if you do a search he can give you some good insight.

19 mins ago, bayyaker54 said:

Ksong goes into great detail about this in one of his threads about his Black hole rods. I won’t go into detail but if you do a search he can give you some good insight.

Prototype black hole surf rods is the thread ,Post number 27 

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 8:55 AM, ghost said:

Is there an advantage to how the rod is put together?  Recently purchase two new surf rods and each is assembled differently and I was wondering  if there is an advantage to either?

I would have to say it does not matter.

no science behind my view just cannot see why it would.

HH