Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Soup can

Any info on Sailfish boats?

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Looking to tap into the wisdom of the board. 

I've recently come across a 2002 Saifish brand 170 center console boat. As I am in the cold Midwest, I'm not familiar with this brand or model. Anyone with previous experience with this hull? My primary use for it would be fishing with my family (3 total) on large rivers and northern lakes. 

Any information appreciated. Thanks! 

I have a sailfish boat and I love it, they are considered moderately priced boats, the saltwater hulls handle great. I'm not sure about that 17' but the saltwater boats are zero wood construction and carry a life rot warranty on the hull, to keep cost down the wiring and hardware are not the best.  What kind of motor?

People really seem to like them.

I'll say that I noticed foot for foot they seem to be rigged with lesser horsepower than their competition which makes me question the laminate schedule and weight.

I would be confident with the hull, a motor of that age would be my concern, I have zero experience with 2002 era Mercury motor.  water test it if you can and see how the motor behaves

Can give you my experiences with a 1997 Sailfish 198DC with a 115 Yamaha 2-stroke.Bought it used around 2003. Use it on the rivers of the Upper Chesapeake Bay. Low freeboard and not much deadrise on that particular boat/mold make it great for were we go. Certainley has a shallow draft and good handling on calmer waters.It wouldn't be so good in rougher waters. All in all it's been a  great boat/motor combo for our family for what we've done over the years. Lots and lots of hours cruising,water  skiing and fishing. Poly fuel tank has sagged after 21 years and water pools up on the sending unit which caused some problems until I figured out what was happening.Corroded sending unit and some water in the tank issues were the inital symptons. This has resulted in a creative fix as haven't come across a permanent fix short of replacing tank. Realize your  looking at a newer boat but take a look in the deck access  plate and check for that. No issues as far as delamination on the floor or hull. Almost sure there was  no wood used in the boat.  Agree the wiring could have been better. Have replaced all the original rocker type switches over the years.Motor is a classic ultra reliable 2-stroke old school technology Yamaha.