Is listing launch location, spot burning?

1 hour ago, r111 said:

Say you're  on the water, going to a spot u like. And out of left field, comes this kayaker, clearly still learning his ways. Do you abort the run and stall  till the guy disappears ? Do you even say hi  - he might take you for a friendly person and stick around, hoping to learn a thing or two.

Roger's already on the video record for this one, telling a dude pedaling by in JB he's not catching when he just landed a nice fluke.  I think I've told this story before, but I was jut limiting out fluke on a relatively small piece of structure when a guy came driving up to ask how's it going. Caught with a full net, I could hardly deny it was ok. Turns out he was a harbor worker who was out there all the time, fishing whenever he was free. He gave me good advice then, and came over to chat several more times when he spotted me around, always with good info. Glad I didn't cold shoulder him!

I consider broadcasting a launch location , posting a video with the location in the title and a  catch report and then posting on sol and FB to be a spot burn.

I dont care to debate if  it did harm  or should or shouldn't be done. I'm not out to impress or change anyone's mind. Its not why I fish. 

Edited by Jeffz1

13 mins ago, gellfex said:

Roger's already on the video record for this one, telling a dude pedaling by in JB he's not catching when he just landed a nice fluke.

LOL pure reflex at this point. Although I remember, as a 9 yo kid in our canoe, holding a fish in the water as boats drove by...in fact I used to argue with my dad about telling randoms exactly where we caught our fish. He was a very casual angler...

1 hour ago, r111 said:

What do you do ? Research the guy, read his posts, ask for references, make sure he doesn't have 5 other kayak friends that he would bring along etc ? Have him sign an NDA ?

Or you reach out/reply and say "hey, if you're interested, meet me at XYZ".

Say you're  on the water, going to a spot u like. And out of left field, comes this kayaker, clearly still learning his ways. Do you abort the run and stall  till the guy disappears ? Do you even say hi  - he might take you for a friendly person and stick around, hoping to learn a thing or two.

Depends on the spot, depends on the person. You could say Hey, don't share this location, don't post on fb. You can also ask how the person feels about killing big bass/tog. It's up to the person to agree to your rules...or he could easily do his own legwork and find his own fish, no? 

Funny you mention NDAs. I've made some regrettable decisions in the past, almost wished I had some people sign on the dotted line! 

Elias alluded, in a post or utube, to some passionate locals slashing tires, not sure whose or where :)

Those that utube have 0 protection from folx ID'ng the spots in comments

In a metropolis we live in, still amazes me so few folx get on the water. Bz lifes, 20 activities for the kids, lack of fund$ or curiosity, space to store gear etc.

On 11/19/2018 at 5:01 PM, atv223 said:

Sorry, I live 100 miles from the beach.  I barely have time to get out a few times a year, let alone take a wild ass guess at a launch location.

Poor guy, I see why you want intel handed to you.

21 mins ago, pakalolo said:

Remember that there are folks who live on the east end, it's not just a playground for your enjoyment . Thanks

You wouldn’t think that driving past Harbe’s last month or Briermere today.

KFA-NY

Kayak Wars/Team Fishing Lab

Yellow Eyed Devils

(*member formerly known as ''rick smithtown)

On 11/19/2018 at 8:01 PM, atv223 said:

Sorry, I live 100 miles from the beach.  I barely have time to get out a few times a year, let alone take a wild ass guess at a launch location.  Fortunately, there are a lot of good people who are willing to share some launch locations. 

27 mins ago, Jon I said:

Poor guy, I see why you want intel handed to you.

I don't have a facebook page, no twitter, etc ....... this site is it.... nothing more.

I don't use a network of people to draw info from, i find my own patterns and spots & figure things out for myself.... i follow the bait in.... and follow it back out in the fall.

That's the way its been ever since i started surf casting seriously something like 35 yrs ago..... when i need to find a parking spot or a surfcasting location far, far away from home i put it on my "to do list" and scout it out when i get in that general area.

I sit down & drop pins on my phones map & go there when i get around to it.....

You can do this on one of your seasonal kayak launches you do when your in that area or even in the off season when you just happen to be in the neighborhood for something or the other,....... when its time to fish its no longer a "wild guess"..

Best.......

3 hours ago, r111 said:

Elias alluded, in a post or utube, to some passionate locals slashing tires, not sure whose or where :)

:lg_smile: 

Amazing how some have problems over others.

KFA-NY

Kayak Wars/Team Fishing Lab

Yellow Eyed Devils

(*member formerly known as ''rick smithtown)