atv223

Is listing launch location, spot burning?

56 posts in this topic

I know I posted this as a question, but I personally don't think a kayak launch location is a spot burn.  People get so insane about this stuff, like "Use google maps".  Sorry, I live 100 miles from the beach.  I barely have time to get out a few times a year, let alone take a wild ass guess at a launch location.  Fortunately, there are a lot of good people who are willing to share some launch locations. 

I understand how a beach location for surf caster or GPS coordinates for boats/kayaks are spot burns, but I think people get too crazy about spot burning.

I was recently in a new fishing store and talking to the owner.  He was bragging about all the hot locations he has for bass in South Jersey.  Just making conversation I asked which town and he was VERY elusive.  I was thinking "are you F'ing kidding me?".  Telling me you have hot spots in Brigantine vs. Ocean City isn't telling me anything, it's just conversation and now I don't want to buy anything from you for being an a$$.

Imo, 100%. Take it to PMs...don't put it up on the open forum. I want to say out front is slightly different...but I can think of a few lots where parking is limited. MANY bayside/LIS launches have limited parking/access, quite a few are not strictly "open" to the public. Some fisheries are more prone to pressure than others. The best thing about this site is the focus on sharing knowledge...not spots. 

I feel for that tackle shop owner. What a conflict of interest, being an avid angler vs. business owner. Most tackle shops are the worst spot burners in the world. 

1 hour ago, atv223 said:

I know I posted this as a question, but I personally don't think a kayak launch location is a spot burn.  People get so insane about this stuff

like "Use google maps".  Sorry, I live 100 miles from the beach.  I barely have time to get out a few times a year, let alone take a wild ass guess at a launch location

I get what you're saying..... if someone wanted to help a guy like you out with that info he could always shoot you a pm, there's no excuses but don't hold you're breath. :dismay:

Quick story;

I live out on long island....... there's pretty much 1 road to get to montauk pt. ...... Rte 27 all the way to the end. If i travel this road  in the wee hrs i can land at the point in 1 hr and 5 minutes from my house. 

It's a lot of 35 mph speed limit areas, it can take forever during daytime traffic, gotta pass thru a bunch of little towns with eager cops waiting to hand out speeding tickets,  gotta be careful......

If you know your way around out there,  there's a great bypass to get past all the mumbo jumbo and land in east Hampton which is past all the  traffic b.s ...... a lot of people don't know it though. 

This very " route" discussion came up on a private  surfcasting site i used to be on,  this one fella mentioned it but wouldn't divulge the route to  someone who asked for it, said to go on google maps and find it yourself as if it was a burn or something......... really??

Point is,  some of these things aren't spot burns, this  was just a road to drive on, nothing more.  I think some people just like to be difficult ....who knows, maybe it gives them a sense of balance or gratification to get them thru the day...... i really don't know :why:

Posted (edited) · Report post

Bill, having it take two hours to make it from Amagansett to the four lanes leaving at three in afternoon vs half hour taking a longer route. I can feel his pain. Ever since they added those crosswalks in East and Bridge Hampton, there's just no moving on south fork until after hours.

Not in his defense but its not one route but a series of roads. You even have to go through Sag Harbor.

Edited by Rick67

3 hours ago, Rick67 said:

Ever since they added those crosswalks in East and Bridge Hampton, there's just no moving on south fork until after hours.

Not in his defense but its not one route but a series of roads. You even have to go through Sag Harbor

It's not even about the crosswalks, that only made it worse i suppose..... Its always taken a lot longer, imo, its the ridiculous 35 mph speed limit they have out there, once the southampton 2 lane turns into a 1 lane you're done....You wind up getting regulated by the drivers in front of you that won't go 1 mile over 35 so the line of cars only grows longer & longer & don't forget about the traffic lights in the towns, that's always fun, you can sit thru a crap load of em.... i get to do some window shopping from my drivers seat :D.

srsly;

As far as the route, agreed. a series of roads..... easy to pm a  "red line" route map to anyone though......i wound up doing exactly that, nice guy, very appreciative......

Regards....

I personally do not believe that disclosing a launch location should be a spot burn ( but I will comply with the rules of this forum not to publicly disclose them)...I understand that if there is a room for only 1 - 2 cars you do not want too many people to know about it...but where the access and the parking is not an issue why be so secretive about it?...it is nice to help a fellow fisherman especially a person who you know to be active on this forum...and the fishing spots may be far away from the launch. For me a launch spot or fishing spot disclosure is not at the same level...If you think about it: how many people can come on given day at the same time to the same launch point...I have launched at least 35 times this year in RB and LIS and the average number of kayakers were 1 to 2....only once I have seen around 50 people at Union Beach launch in the midst of the striper run in May of this year...and there was no problems and once people dispersed on the water it was only you, ocean and the fish...

12 hours ago, BillZ said:

If you know your way around out there,  there's a great bypass to get past all the mumbo jumbo and land in east Hampton which is past all the  traffic b.s ...... a lot of people don't know it though. 

Everybody knows it.  Waze will direct you to take all the short cuts (both north and south of the highway) if the traffic on 27 is bad.  The days of the Scuttlehole shortcut being private knowledge are long over my friend.

12 hours ago, BillZ said:

Point is,  some of these things aren't spot burns, this  was just a road to drive on, nothing more.  I think some people just like to be difficult ....who knows, maybe it gives them a sense of balance or gratification to get them thru the day...... i really don't know :why:

Sadly, this is often true. The spot burn police can be oppressive sometimes...I get complaints when someone recognizes some piece of background in a photo. Not talking about the Statue of Liberty, but a tiny piece of a bridge off in the distance recognizable only to folks that have spent a lot of time in the exact spot the photo was taken. It's almost as if they are looking for acknowledgment that THEY know where the spot is by the picture...and I explain that no one is going to figure out the spot based on the pictures from that obscure bit of image except folks that are already very familiar with the spot.

Spot burning is a real issue...but there's no need to be ridiculous about it :)

TimS

1 hour ago, computeruser said:

...it is nice to help a fellow fisherman especially a person who you know to be active on this forum...

And you can do that via PMs, esp for active members of the forum :)

1 hour ago, buddha162 said:

And you can do that via PMs, esp for active members of the forum :)

But that entails someone asking for info publicly, or feeling confident enough to PM someone they don't really know asking. many years ago I was once falsely accused of begging for spots by someone trying to discredit me. So not only is sharing launch spots frowned on, but asking is also.

We all know a few spots with parking for hundreds and enough structure over, what? At least a couple dozen sq miles of water within a few miles of paddling for those hundreds to be alone. Why is that a forbidden topic?

10 mins ago, gellfex said:

But that entails someone asking for info publicly, or feeling confident enough to PM someone they don't really know asking. many years ago I was once falsely accused of begging for spots by someone trying to discredit me. So not only is sharing launch spots frowned on, but asking is also.

We all know a few spots with parking for hundreds and enough structure over, what? At least a couple dozen sq miles of water within a few miles of paddling for those hundreds to be alone. Why is that a forbidden topic?

Meh, we've been over this before, the pros and cons and possible exceptions to the rules...the difference between fisheries etc. I've given and received plenty of info through PMs (with you as well!) and it's been an easy experience. My very first post on the kayak forum...a brief intro and hello, resulted in multiple PMs helping me out, including info on launch sites. I've reciprocated in kind, via PMs. Also, as long as I'm not breaking forum rules, I don't really care if my posts are "frowned upon." 

The urge to name locations on a wide open public platform remains a mystery to me. So many eyeballs on these threads who are not participating members. These posts come up on google searches, they get reposted to other sites, including FB. If you can't post a specific location to park and surf fish on this forum, I see no reason why you can share a kayak launch spot.  

3 mins ago, buddha162 said:

Meh, we've been over this before, the pros and cons and possible exceptions to the rules...the difference between fisheries etc. I've given and received plenty of info through PMs (with you as well!) and it's been an easy experience.

You do make it sound easy. I guess I had a really bad experience here early on that tainted my view of "private info", and it wasn't even a forum question about a spot that got me crapped on, but about technique. I rarely PM anyone with significant questions.

Posted (edited) · Report post

There are several opinions on spot burning when kayak fishing. 

1) Some people don't want you catching their fish ? This is one of my favorites because we  all know that fish don't swim and they stay by the launch site.

2) Some people think they will lose the launch site if it is not treated properly. IE people leaving trash or going to the bathroom on the beach because there are no facilities.

3) Some people think that posting this kind of information on the web site will increase the traffic flow to the site.

4) Some people have forgotten what it is like to be a newbie.

5) Some people feel they may be held responsible if someone launches at the sight and does not return.

Maybe they had limited skills or did not dress for immersion? 

6) If someone express's and interest on launching on a particular day  with me I will pm them the information.

7) Sometimes surf fisherman and kayak fisherman don't play well together. We may fish too close to shore or catch the fish before they reach the shore or paddle out and in in their casting areas?

Honestly I don't think this web site is hurting the fishing population when people post information.

I think the biggest problem is technology. Everyone has a facebook page. email lists, text lists, that they can access via their cell phones and go right to the active  bite.  The number and quality of fish seems to decline each year. Think of all the improvements from fish finder, gps, pedal power, better rods, reels, gulp, dry suits. Sadly IMO the fish don't stand a chance. As the fish populations continue to decline more Kayak shops, bait stores will continue to go out of business.  Lets not forget the state taking away our  access to launch into the ocean at Sandy hook and IBSP.  Not too mention beach replenishment and sea wall construction taking away even more access. 

All the property tax's we pay each year and big brother tells us we can't access our own beach's off season. It is a  real shame.

Edited by dbjpb