Dsc

Reel size for the OBX

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Don't know if this is the right spot for this but..After fishing the waters on the OBX the last 5-6 years we have learned that sometimes we really need to get the distance to get over the first break . After catch up with the fishing you all do there we started with 30 class reels and for the last few years was throwing with squidders and 7000 size reels. This past Sept I was having trouble getting out with my usual gear .I'm not great but on the grass can hit about 140 yards without problems. I have an Akios 651lsi i use for plugging the troff so I CT'd it at the table and was able to hit the spot I wanted the next day. Put duck tape over the holes. It seems like alot of you folks use 6000 and 525 size reels. After casting I was looking at how much line was left or wasn't there. Do you all worry about getting spooled or is it just a trade off to get the distance.  Thanks all and tight lines

Edited by Dsc
fishhawkxxx likes this

it's a trade off for sure, I use a braid backing for last 50(?) yds (60-90lb) and rely on it. I beef up my squiders w/ 5 stack drag's,steel gears., stainless sleeves, custom frames, etc. and that helps!

Its a tradeoff between capacity  comfort and consistency. If you throw braid you can go super thin or drop the #test down 10 or so to increase capacity. But round reels get squirrely with 'too thin' braid. On a spinner, 20# hurts more than 40#, but you can spool so much more. With mono you can lose a couple pounds of test, or go super thin with Black Widow or similar. Better technique and a longer rod may increase distance too. My workaround for long breakoffs and day ending professional overrun is to always have a spare Abu 6500 in my plug bag.

Thanks guys. Ya I run 25# BG with a 50# SL on my Squidder and my Abu's I run 50# PP with a 50# shock. Maybe I'm just worried for nothing but your long distance fishing is a challenge in it's self. Before we started coming down we never thought we would be heaving weight and bait over a hundred yards into the surf.

I use 525's and fathom 15 w straight 17 lb prospec.  I have landed Cobia up to 77 lbs, red drum in the 50 + lb  range, larger rays and sharks all from the beach.  I have not come close to getting spooled by anything I want to catch.  Very large sharks and 1 porpoise have emptied my spool.  A friend of mine uses a fathom 12 w braid backing and has not had any issues.  I am a better than average caster w bait, 140 yards w 8 n bait would put you in the top 1% of beach casters

dats true what da fish says, 17lb is good if your a good caster, myself on da squidder 17 is a littl squirrely 20 max on squidder should give you plenty of line left. But reguardless jerky rags w/ alot of line out is not good so service r upgrade them n you should do fine.

I believe the 525 has a much stronger drag so really not a fair comparison

Thanks again. Ya we have a practice field beside a football field my brother and I go to. That 140 yards was with a 6 oz bank sinker ,no wind ,12' rod. Practice is actually fun for us. We might do some wagering. And it's funny when we cast the lakes for catfish with our surf gear up here. People just stare and give a large birth. Just have to watch for boats.

Must be thinking too much. I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and keep practicing for our 2 trips a year . Hope it's permanent in a few years. I might drop to 20# on my Squidder to try and get a little more out of it and have a rig for the point when there are a lot of people. I know how some will complain about braid .We fish a little north of it anyway, don't like the crowds . We are getting ready to put an adjustable mag in my brothers Squidder soon. Just don't know about drilling the plastic side plate.

Yes i dont really like static magging my reels using them up here for fresh water and then the surf a few weeks of the year. Well by the sounds of it I think I'll be putting that Akios 651 LSI up front in the line up this summer. It's a sweet casting reel , just need to find something to fill the LW holes and use something else to throw tin and plugs with , a 5601 I use up here ?

Edited by Dsc

17 mins ago, Dsc said:

Yes i dont really like static magging my reels using them up hear for fresh water and then the surf a few weeks of the year. Well by the sounds of it I think I'll be putting that Akios 651 LSI up front in the line up this summer. It's a sweet casting reel , just need to find something to fill the LW holes and use something else to plug with , a 5601 I use up here ?

It’s a nice reel but not an 8 nbait reel imo. Great for 5 or 6 n bait 

I suppose you removed the whole bar when you converted the akios? If you still have the crossbar cut it so that about 1/16 or 1/8 exposed and put a cap on it or not. You can get these caps (covers) at black dog tackle in the UK. I think they might even have the studs you need.

Thanks fish. Ya I took it all out . The LSI has an aluminum one piece frame something like a shuttle with a machined cross bar on top for the levelwind. I'm sure I'll find the right size Caps or something I can silicone in place of the worm gear housing. Ryan at HJ did a little work to it for me when I got it a few years ago .Sweet reel for tin and plugs on my 9' Century KNE. Have done a little medium chunking with it too.

Edited by Dsc

I need to say I got this combo from Ryan to use up here for casting for our larger freshwater species. And it works great , don't have to worry about lifting a fish up a huge river bank or netting one by yourself . A real nice wide Sandy Beach is hard to find up here . If the LSI works out I might have to try and find a 6000 size shuttle because I'll be putting the LW back in after surf fishing.

Edited by Dsc