KSantangelo

Plugs I Hate

Rate this topic

119 posts in this topic

50 mins ago, Robbiethao10 said:

Any minnow lure especially the SP minnow is my absolute worst plug. Can’t stand it. Love bombers and yozuri lc minnows though. 

Needle fish is another. Terrible plug. I’ve caught a few fish but that’s cuz they were around.

When fish are around anything  works but I am specifically narrowing it down to when you have to work for fish. 

Needles are terrible until you actually know how to use them. Took me 3 years, but now I never leave home without a few in my bag. Nice heavy sinking needle in some current at night, hooooo boy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's funny I actually really enjoy using g the Gibbs wooden needles and have had success.  I have found pencil poppers to be my scourge.  I can never seem to get a good strike and it's a lot more work keeping up the action of the lure than the needles.  

 

I've used different varieties and different action but can never seem to get an offering.  Mostly in RI.  I plan to keep trying but man, drives me crazy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 mins ago, john1234 said:

I’d also like to add that I absolutely cannot seem to catch on rattle traps or any other lipless cranks in the salt.

I found this one really interesting. Since they sink pretty quickly, I only use them

in certain spots but they’re a great search bait at those spots. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 mins ago, HKJonathan said:

I found this one really interesting. Since they sink pretty quickly, I only use them

in certain spots but they’re a great search bait at those spots. 

Probably has to do with the types of water I fish, usually nothing more than 8-10 feet on the flats using long fan cast’s to locate fish, I might give em a shot almost using them like a vertical jig off some piers this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For whatever reason I cant't stand the SS popper at least for its indented use. I can't deny their excellent casting ability but for whatever reason the only way I ever catch fish on them (which is not often) is crawling them along SLOWLY and using as more of a swimming plug as opposed to a popping plug. I can count the number of fish I've caught on it on one hand being fished as a popper 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/30/2019 at 2:36 PM, Fly By Nite said:

Any lure that is popular with the sportos i hate.

I can’t agree more ... not a fan of “the must have” mentality ... I force myself to fish something else ... maybe I’m depriving myself from the banner catch but at least I have some pride or at least I believe I do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, smellfish said:

I can’t agree more ... not a fan of “the must have” mentality ... I force myself to fish something else ... maybe I’m depriving myself from the banner catch but at least I have some pride or at least I believe I do.

There is never "just one way" to catch a bass.

 

I have never bought the "popular" lures.  I fish my way with the stuff I like to use and catch enough fish to make me happy.  The  way I fish is as important to me as the fish I catch.  Some guys like to only fish topwater, they give up a lot of fish by doing that, but they love what they do...can't criticize that.

 

I definitely don't catch fewer fish because I'm not throwing the must have plug.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, gratefuldylan said:

It's funny I actually really enjoy using g the Gibbs wooden needles and have had success.  I have found pencil poppers to be my scourge.  I can never seem to get a good strike and it's a lot more work keeping up the action of the lure than the needles.  

 

I've used different varieties and different action but can never seem to get an offering.  Mostly in RI.  I plan to keep trying but man, drives me crazy!

Damn pencil poppers are usually the first lure that comes out of my bag.

5 hours ago, john1234 said:

I’d also like to add that I absolutely cannot seem to catch on rattle traps or any other lipless cranks in the salt.

Ever try a glide bait?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 mins ago, Reed422 said:

Damn pencil poppers are usually the first lure that comes out of my bag.

Ever try a glide bait?

Love Alan’s and I just picked up a 5” rg in the bst that I’m looking forward to fishing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 mins ago, john1234 said:

Love Alan’s and I just picked up a 5” rg in the bst that I’m looking forward to fishing.

His lures are awesome. Got a couple new ones to try out from LS69 and Loki that I'm itchin to toss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Reed422 said:

His lures are awesome. Got a couple new ones to try out from LS69 and Loki that I'm itchin to toss.

I picked up his blueback and skipjack pattern dart this winter and it looks sick, they cast decent as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any pencil popper. Give me a bottle popper an old Atom or Rebel popper and Ill go fish for fish with you and Ill use half the energy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.