KSantangelo

Plugs I Hate

Rate this topic

119 posts in this topic

Hate is a strong word, but there are certain plugs I cannot for the life of me catch anything on.

The needlefish - I hear constantly that this is a go to plug. I’ve tried floating and sinking and giant and every color of the rainbow. I’ve fished needles in RI, NJ, LI, and Cuttyhunk. Never even a tap. 

Bottle plugs - sure, they cast great. But again, I’ve tried all colors, weights, and lengths. Nada. 

Despite all of the above, I still always keep them in my bag, because I enjoy punishing myself. 

Anyone have any plugs that they just can’t seem to connect on??

Keep them in your bag

Just so you know, I haven't tied on a bottle all season.

Conditions and bait haven't called for it.

As  for all your needlefish , try one when you are successful with a different plug. Fish them while the bite is on.  Also , simplify your choices. Keep 3 - floating, slow sinking and heavy. 1 or 2 colors. Try a teaser with your needle too.

There's a place and time for everything, I believe that's why we are all plug junkies. 

I learned my lesson a couple times trout fishing. Was using a size 12 BWO, not a touch. Put the same fly but size 10, epic. Sometimes the fish are that "picky".

There are certainly confidence plugs. The one plug that I keep "punishing myself with" would be a metal lip.

K,

I LOLd when I saw your topic!

No need to keep up the punishment.

Bottles?

Wouldn't be without them in stormy conditions in MA and RI.  Big beasts to throw into a gale when needed; smaller ones at times on the beaches and breachways of soco.  

Needles?

Stubborn SOB that I can be, I fought with those f**kers for many seasons, before I finally learned to fish with wooden needles (slow sink, moderate sink, hit the bottom like a stone).  Very versatile plugs, IMO.  

I only use SS needles when I see macks around, because they look PERFECT to me for imitating the manner in which mackerel swim.  Sadly, very little love for those.  (Doesn't mean that I'll stop fishing them.  Head strong? Who? Not me!)

MLs?

I've had mixed, at best, results with them (from Dannies to Trollers to Conrads) in the ditch.  Cape beaches were another story though, when using Dannies.

Jointed Plugs?

That's where I admit that I cry "Uncle".

They just look *so* damned sexy in the water, yet I've *maybe* caught three small (12-15#) stripers on them in the last three seasons.  BMs, Tattoos, Creek Chub, etc.; Giants, squealies, jointed Dannies, heck, even jointed plastic swimmers; bone, parrot, bunker, white/pink/white, herring, you name the size and shape and color and I've tried it.  Pisses me off!  (Yes, I know that they don't cast for crap, so I only fish them when winds and currents are in my favor.)

I know what you mean. I've learned that certain plugs are gonna work at certain locations only. I like bottles in big breakers, needles in RI off to the left of a Breachway and metal lipped divers in a river. But one time I was way up a big Ct river where there was fast water flowing down past a spot with rocks and deep holes. That year I got my biggest Spring bass on a large bottle. So, sometimes we need to try something outside the box. None of this is etched in stone, and I always remember that that bass are gonna be where ya get 'em!  :howdy:

And as to the ones I hate? The ones I make that don't catch! lol

Edited by jimmy z

I love needles and have had some of my best days on them.There isnt a plug ive never caught on or a style of plug.Theres just certain plugs I rather not fish ....Ive never been a big bottle plug guy but ive caught on them just prefer other options.I dont fish metal lips that often anymore but ive had great nights on them.

Edited by IslandSurf

There are no plugs I hate. They are all weapons that will have there day, or night. When fishing is hot I intentionally use my low confidence plugs to see how they preform. This has lead to some new favorites.

Metal lips. I have Zero faith in them. For me the SP does just about the same thing and casts 10x better. I have 7 or 8 expensive metal lips and I always bring them but they never work for me 

For a long time I hated DARTERS. I had a few, and would throw them occasionally. My buddy had me talking to myself one night. He was using a dater and I was throwing everything I had. He gave me one to try and I followed his instructions. The darter quickly became my most productive plug for the next couple years. 

NEEDLEFISH...I can throw a needlefish in a tidal pool and catch a fish! There is something about them. I exclusively fish Habs in 2oz and 1.5oz, and on occasion a big Gibbs style Beachmaster. I know very well how they behave in all kinds of conditions. In calm flat water with little to no surf, I prefer a fast retrieve, and skipping it across the surface. The heavier the water, the slower the retrieve. Obviously this is not carved in Stone, but it the usual rule of thumb for me. And if you’re not getting bit on the needle, tie a small teaser off the top of your leader. 

Sebile magic swimmer. Threw it a lot with out a bump. October came around and blues and bass were crushing bunker all around. Caught on a pencil, mag darter and big swim shads. Decided to try the magic swimmer and watched as these fish trailed the plug back to the beach without a tap. That was 3 years ago....havent thrown one since. I know the catch at the canal...just don't catch for me.