ccb

Florida / Non Resident fishing lic. Saltwater

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

I know its $47.00 off the shore on the Gulf side.   Do I need a different lic. to fish the salt on the Atlantic side.?   Also I can not find a Combo Lic. for Non residents?   If i fish a canal and don't take any fish  C& R , can I do it with a salt.water lic.  They don't explain that on the site?  

1. is that lic. for both Gulf and Atlantic offf the shore?

2. Do I seen a second Lic. to fish in a boat.

3. Can i fish the Water way canals C&R  also can you keep a saltwater fish if you are in a Waterway Canal?

4. To fish a lake  C&R  I still need a Freshwater lic. correct? 

I think I covered all the bases, but maybe not?         Need Help thanks ccb

I think they all feel pain either way?   I release all my fish in florida  In Mass i may take one a year on the BBQ.   My wife doesn't like to cook them in the house,  she doesn't like the smell? 

From the FWC website:

In general, you need a freshwater license to take freshwater fish and a saltwater license to take saltwater fish, unless one of the exemptions specified on this Web site applies to your situation. Obviously if you are fishing in pure fresh water where no saltwater species live, you need a freshwater license and likewise if you are fishing in the ocean you need a saltwater license.

However, when you get into estuarine type areas where salt and fresh water commingle and fish of both types can be found the issue becomes less clear. The interpretation of the rule is:

1. You need either a freshwater, saltwater or combination license (or appropriate exemption) to take fish (take is legally defined as taking, attempting to take, pursuing, molesting, capturing, or killing any fish, or their nests or eggs by any means whether or not such actions result in obtaining possession of such fish or their nests or eggs).
  2. If you are using species specific gear, your license should be appropriate (e.g., freshwater or saltwater) to the species you are targeting, and
  3. Otherwise you need an appropriate type license to keep your catch and must immediately release any species for which you are not licensed. License requirements follow the species of fish, regardless of where they are caught. In other words, if you only have a freshwater license and are primarily fishing for largemouth bass or bream (freshwater species) in a river, but happen to catch a red drum (a saltwater species), you must immediately release the red drum.

There is one license for both saltwater sides.   I get the same one now that I fish the Atlantic than the one I got a few years ago when I fished the Gulf.   I get this license to support enforcement, even though I haven't been checked in 8 years.   And, yes I will continue to get the license.    

Well thats good because I won' need another for the Atlantic side  thanks.  I alway get the yearly one.  $47.00  thanks ccb

I get out of state FL fresh and salt water license every year; it works on any water in the state. If you are snook fishing, lobstering, or scalloping you need special permits.

The Florida freshwater license (as is Alabama freshwater license) is also good for anywhere on lake Seminole, but you must follow Georgia fishing regulations.

Edited by mwhitt80

FWIW, I was asked to show my fishing license today by an FWC officer. First time in 30 years visiting and now 6 months living here. My son was asked once in the spring, but he’s young enough not to need it yet.

I've been checked for hunting in Florida  but that's it.

I just try to stay legal, and I don't have a problem with spending money that directly helps wildlife and park management. I started buying a duck stamp every year even though I haven't been duck hunting in 5 years because the money raised goes wildlife and park services.

When fishing some of the causeways in the Tampa area I get checked by FWC frequently. However, they only ask to see inside all my coolers. They have never asked to see my license. 

I have been checked more in the last 2 years than I have in my life. The last time was a week ago. 

The time before the last one, they came up in an airboat, asked to see my license, told them I didn't have one which got them a little wound up, but just showed them my Drivers License, which was all I needed as I am over 65. He just laughed and told me that not only that I didn't need a license, but I was exempt from most stamps and permits. Told me to go to the FWC site and get a free plastic card. said to hell with it and got another license. The ones that patrol my area are pretty good folks.

On 11/21/2018 at 7:58 PM, acesover said:

I have been checked more in the last 2 years than I have in my life. The last time was a week ago. 

The time before the last one, they came up in an airboat, asked to see my license, told them I didn't have one which got them a little wound up, but just showed them my Drivers License, which was all I needed as I am over 65. He just laughed and told me that not only that I didn't need a license, but I was exempt from most stamps and permits. Told me to go to the FWC site and get a free plastic card. said to hell with it and got another license. The ones that patrol my area are pretty good folks.

Georgia has a the same program for old foggies. In Ga (and probably FL) if you hunt doves/geese/ducks, you need the migratory bird license (free for the old farts) and buy the fed (have to get)/st duck stamps.

I have to print dad's yearly.