Chunks

Smoker recommendations

Rate this topic

51 posts in this topic

Looking to step up my game.  I currently use a Weber kettle and have GREAT results but limitations are definitely evident.    I read these posts on a regular basis and have found tons of great info.  I'm not a neophyte but want to make a solid choice.   I know there are tons of applications, for me, I'm looking to do ribbs, pork butts and brisket.  Also smoke some fish and possibly cheese.  I don't feed people en masses so smaller side of things is my game plan.   I have talked with quite a few vets in the game and it seems propane is harder to control than what I would have expected.  I llike what I see about Acorns.  Just wondering about the electric crowd - pluses and minuses.

 

feedback is much appreciated 

 

C

Edited by Chunks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Chunks said:

Looking to step up my game.  I currently use a Weber kettle and have GREAT results but limitations are definitely evident.    I read these posts on a regular basis and have found tons of great info.  I'm not a neophyte but want to make a solid choice.   I know there are tons of applications, for me, I'm looking to do ribbs, pork butts and brisket.  Also smoke some fish and possibly cheese.  I don't feed people en masses so smaller side of things is my game plan.   I have talked with quite a few vets in the game and it seems propane is harder to control than what I would have expected.  I llike what I see about Acorns.  Just wondering about the electric crowd - pluses and minuses.

 

feedback is much appreciated 

 

C

If ease of use is what you are looking for try a pellet smoker. I have a Yoder 640 but they make smaller ones. It’s a high quality smoker, they make more economical models like Trager,etc.  it does not give a heavy smoke though (you can make it if you like that sort of thing) where are you located ?

Edited by mike3dr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chunks, I use a Smokeintex stainless electric smoker. Ive had this for years at this point and can say zero problems with it. It’s simple with just a temp dial and a lid tray compartment you lay wood chunks in. Comes with a good number of shelves and has a heck of a large capacity if you do large amount of smoking at once. The dial is accurate enough and I use a temp prob too for the product you’re cooking with wireless remote. 

 

They are not cheap but then again I never had to purchase another smoker to replace this one. Buy once and I’m done. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like an 18" Weber Smokey Mountain is right up your alley. It can do all the things that you stated in your op. It's easy to use and you get great results from it. The only mod I did to mine was get a Tel-Tru BQ300 thermometer to replace the crappy one it came with. I believe they are the best bang for the buck smokers out there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want an all-a-round smoker/grill, I would recommend a ceramic kamado, like the Big Green Egg.... I have 2 Kamado brand smokers, an Imperial Kamado and a Broil King Keg (Steel not ceramic like the others, but same design)... All very versatile... The Kamado brand is no more, but there are other brands... They won't ever rust out (My Kamados are all heavy gauge stainless on the grills and metal parts), if you get a quality one... The only disadvantage  that I can come up with , is adding more charcoal on a long cook... But my Kamados are so efficient, that I can usually do a 24-26 hour cook with out adding charcoal (Depends on the charcoal)... I can do slow smokes at less than 200 degree,s to full on blasting a steak or pizza at 800-900 degrees...

Butch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chunks if you're looking at ceramic grills I'd go with a Kamado Joe. They have a lot more gadgets for their products and a have an outstanding customer service team. I love my KJ classic it is my go to grill in the winter. Holds heat well is fuel efficient and so easy to use even I can cook on it. :freak:

Edited by Big Biscuit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve had an electric smoker for years and don’t have one negative thing to say about it. I think it’s biggest advantage is the ease of regulating a temperature. I do think the pellet is interesting though. Good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

GREATLY appreciate all the feed back!  I have some research ahead of me but looking forward to it. 

 

Butch - thank you for the KJ reference, I have been eyeing them for awhile!

 

Thank you!

 

C

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/17/2018 at 8:22 AM, Big Biscuit said:

Looks like an 18" Weber Smokey Mountain is right up your alley. It can do all the things that you stated in your op. It's easy to use and you get great results from it. The only mod I did to mine was get a Tel-Tru BQ300 thermometer to replace the crappy one it came with. I believe they are the best bang for the buck smokers out there.

 

I love mine, and agree with what you said. But, it's not very easy to do cheese on it. Cheese needs a cold smoke. Mine didn't turn out so good. I will be cooking a fresh turkey on mine come Thursday. :drool: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 mins ago, Chunks said:

GREATLY appreciate all the feed back!  I have some research ahead of me but looking forward to it. 

 

Butch - thank you for the KJ reference, I have been eyeing them for awhile!

 

Thank you!

 

C

I think you owe Big Biscuit the thanks for the KJ reference... I was just extolling the virtues of the kamados in general... If you find some spare change in the sofa.... https://komodokamado.com/collections/42-serious-big-bad

 

Butch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a BGE and it does a good job smoking and grilling.  If something were to happen to it I don't think I would be willing to cough up $1000 to replace it.  I think I would get a Akorn.  You can get one for less than $200 and I haven't read anything bad about them.  If you keep it out of the rain, rust shouldn't be too much of a problem.  I really don't know of any advantage the BGE has over the Akorn.  I've had my BGE for 25 years and the Akorn probably won't last that long. 

Although a lot of big green eggheads and wannabes have drunk the cool aid and would disagree with me.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a Masterbuilt Electric with their external Cold Smoke Generator. All in about $250, a very popular 'cabinet' model of electric.  Works great, having separate heat and smoke allows you to fine tune both without struggling to manage charcoal and wood.  I just picked up a small wood chipper that can reduce my peach tree and grapevine pruning to smoker fodder, it'll run about 2.5 hrs on a load of a little more than a pint, and I'm working on lengthening that using a dimmer on the smoke generator. Below is a chicken and bluefish from the smoker.  Next year I'm going to try cold smoking blues like lox.

 

5b589f3a9ba49_smokedchicken.JPG.092d45d45a98db1cee8e9ba77179e669.JPGpost-15110-0-39573200-1461895421_thumb.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, MikeMc said:

 

I love mine, and agree with what you said. But, it's not very easy to do cheese on it. Cheese needs a cold smoke. Mine didn't turn out so good. I will be cooking a fresh turkey on mine come Thursday. :drool: 

Have you looked into one of these for cold smoking cheese and or salmon?

 

https://www.amazon.com/MAZE-N-Pellet-Smoker-Smoking-Works/dp/B007ROPJ1M/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1542712467&sr=8-18&keywords=smoke+box

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.