bjelley

Avet Reels

Rate this topic

46 posts in this topic

Does anyone use either the avet sx 5.3 or sxj 5.3 for fluke fishing. Is it a good reel for the application. I am looking into getting one and will be fishing bait as well as bucktails for fluke.

i can not answer your query as i have an avet mx. ......good on ya for looking for an american made product.....good luck to  ya, hope you knock em dead

I use an Avet SX on an MH rod for deep water Fluking, out on the reefs, 55-100 feet of water.  50lb braid, 30lb mono leader (or less) on all my rigs.  Use the same setup on the wrecks, and jigging Striper.

The reel is excellent for all 3 types of fishing.  The rod has enough backbone for all 3 (Fluke, Tog, Stripers), and although I could use a lighter rod for the Fluke, it's convenient to have 1 setup that works for all 3.

If you want an SX on a lighter rod for Fluke only, it's a great reel.

1 min ago, JoeyZac said:

I use an Avet SX on an MH rod for deep water Fluking, out on the reefs, 55-100 feet of water.  50lb braid, 30lb mono leader (or less) on all my rigs.  Use the same setup on the wrecks, and jigging Striper.

The reel is excellent for all 3 types of fishing.  The rod has enough backbone for all 3 (Fluke, Tog, Stripers), and although I could use a lighter rod for the Fluke, it's convenient to have 1 setup that works for all 3.

If you want an SX on a lighter rod for Fluke only, it's a great reel.

What rod is it?

Fish Poison MH made by Kevin Bogan in Point Pleasant, NJ.  Pretty good backbone.  I'd call it a Tog/Striper rod more than a Fluke rod.  For deep water, targeting larger flounder, it's not too heavy.

If you're fishing in a bay, or in shallower water, I'd recommend a lighter rod.

Haven't used it for that, but every one I've owned has chewed bearings like crazy. If you fish light drag, they will probably work fine. Anything past 8-9lbs, I'd recommend a fathom

2 hours ago, Grayson said:

Haven't used it for that, but every one I've owned has chewed bearings like crazy. If you fish light drag, they will probably work fine. Anything past 8-9lbs, I'd recommend a fathom

Interesting never heard of a bad review about an avet

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, bjelley said:

Very easy to side load the bearings on these reels by applying a little extra drag.

Edited by StackedUp
Typo

2 hours ago, bjelley said:

You must not have looked to hard, I know alot of people who won't fish them. If it's what you think you'll like, go for it. I just know that  I sure as hell don't want a $200 dollar reep that I can't fish like I want to

The  problem With my Avet SX is the free spool. After using it for awhile the free spool starts getting sticky or starts slowing down....I picked up a Okuma Metaloid 5 last year for under 200 bucks,it's a nice little reel.

12 hours ago, bjelley said:

Does anyone use either the avet sx 5.3 or sxj 5.3 for fluke fishing. Is it a good reel for the application. I am looking into getting one and will be fishing bait as well as bucktails for fluke.

Yes I use the SXJ for fluke and pretty much any other inshore species from a boat. I would never recommend it for shore based fishing. 

8 hours ago, Grayson said:

if you go over the recommended drag setting you will blow out the pinion bearing. i did this..once... bought a new bearing for $5 from avet. took about 5 minutes to replace.  i tied a 10 lb weight to the line and set the full strike drag correctly. that was a few years ago and it has been fine since. once you set the drag on a lever drag you don't have to touch it again.  avet's are quality made in america reels

8 hours ago, Grayson said:

Avet reels, especially the early ones, are hard on bearings. They use a ball bearing where a thrust bearing would be preferable. More recent reels, especially higher-end ones like the Raptors and Gen2 reels, are said to be much better. 

The early reels aren't bad, but you need to treat the bearings just like a drag washer - it's a component meant to be replaced periodically. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

6 hours ago, bjelley said:

They're decent reals, but they do eat bearings, particularly on the left side.

Edited by CWitek

I use a 5.3 regularly, although not for fluke.  It's the reel that I use when I want to put a small bait out for mahi while I'm shark fishing.  It serves well for that, and when the occasional small shark has picked up the bait, it handled those pretty well, too--a 5 1/2-foot (fork length) hammerhead was the biggest on the Avet so far.

Sometimes use it for jigging sea bass, too.

I use 20-pound braid and 6 or 7 pounds of drag, which helps to avoid constant problems with the bearings.