Matt7082

Name one thing you fear most

46 posts in this topic

Name the one thing you fear the most about kayak fishing. 

For me, I fish the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel a lot. I fear my Hobie drive crapping out on me while I’m our there. It’s a little over 2 miles to where I usually fish. I can’t imagine paddling a Hobie that far, especially in those strong tides  :scared::help:

Similar to Matt, would be my paddle breaking in NY Harbor's currents. Main reason I bought a radio. Sharks and getting hooked seem less likely, but the last is one reason I usually use a gripper & pliers when trebles are involved. Yeah it's slow, but safe.

Matt7082 likes this

1 hour ago, dbjpb said:

Fog

There are a thousand things I am fearful of on the water. Fog is at the top of the list. Yup I’ve got a GPS, but that doesn’t make me visible to other boaters. 

My buddy and i hit a big lake one morning this fall. We got on the water before dawn. Once we were out there we heard a bunch of bass boats screaming down the lake but couldn’t see a single one. We paddled for the bank as quick as we could. We had our lights on, but it didn’t matter. I couldn’t see my buddy who was only 20 feet away from me. SCARY!!!

13 hours ago, Matt7082 said:

There are a thousand things I am fearful of on the water. Fog is at the top of the list. Yup I’ve got a GPS, but that doesn’t make me visible to other boaters. 

My buddy and i hit a big lake one morning this fall. We got on the water before dawn. Once we were out there we heard a bunch of bass boats screaming down the lake but couldn’t see a single one. We paddled for the bank as quick as we could. We had our lights on, but it didn’t matter. I couldn’t see my buddy who was only 20 feet away from me. SCARY!!!

Jamaica Bay about 4 years ago, it was very foggy, I miss that gathering.

FB_IMG_1431865469055.jpg

good 6.jpg

14 hours ago, dbjpb said:

Fog

I was on vacation in Maine and brought my hobie. Launched out front on a crystal clear day. Within 20 minutes a dense fog rolled in and made visibility less than 50ft.  Unfamiliar rocky waters and no visibility was scary. Luckily I could hear kids playing on the beach so I was able to get back. I asked a park ranger if it was just morning fog and he said it lasts for days on end

14 hours ago, Jeffz1 said:

Biggest fear. Autopilot. Almost got taking out this past summer. No one at the wheel.

Even as a mostly boater, same thing...autopilot. Had a tug boat steaming down on us one day, bright, flat calm...and I'm double anchored on a wreck. Guy's coming right at us...I'm blowing horn, on radio, waving arms - nothing. I release both anchors from the cleats and hit reverse hard - luckily neither anchor line tangled and I was able to get 50' away before the tug steamed directly over where the boat was 20 seconds earlier - nobody at the helm. He was so close it was lucky his props didn't pick up one of the anchor lines :rolleyes:

Tims

15 hours ago, Rick67 said:

Mary Lee.

mary-lee.jpg

A guy my wife worked with went on a Kayak/fishing trip in Australia off the GBR...…...never to be heard from again.