line choice for fly fishing for european sea bass

Rate this topic

gooner

Hello! i am intrested to buy 2 new lines for fly fishing for european sea bass! one floating for slower topwater presentation that i cant do with my intermediate and fishing streamers in extremely shallow water and one line to fish in depth 2-3 meters depth without current. At the moment i have an 8wt airflo coldsaltwater intermediate and i have to say its a wonderfull line its its matched fine with my 8wt rod. so  i thought tha maybe the floatinmg cold saltwater version can do the job. have anyone tried it? somewhere i read that it is a bit overweight than its number.. and what density of full sinking line i need to fish in 2-3 meters of depth and do you have a reccomendation? thanks in advance

Gooner unless your rod is a noodle it will cast the airflow lines ok.

To fish water 2 to 3 meters deep with little current you could do this with a D3 Line. Gives you option for either a fast or slow retrieve.

If you want to get down real fast a D6 or D7 but you will need to fish it a bit faster.

Intermediate works over these depths if fish are feeding close to the surface.

mike

49 mins ago, Mike Oliver said:

Gooner unless your rod is a noodle it will cast the airflow lines ok.

To fish water 2 to 3 meters deep with little current you could do this with a D3 Line. Gives you option for either a fast or slow retrieve.

If you want to get down real fast a D6 or D7 but you will need to fish it a bit faster.

Intermediate works over these depths if fish are feeding close to the surface.

mike

hello mike! my rod performs pretty well with the intermediate so i think it will be the same the floating. have you tried the specific line? as for the full sinking line seabass in winter are lithargic and they are lurking near bottom feeding with worms prawns and bottom fish mainly like coconut. its very rare in winter to see a bass strike in the surface you must target them near bottom. do you have a sink 3 line to reccomend me?

29 mins ago, piratkey said:

I use the Rio cold water series general purpose saltwater in floating line, SA sonar titan clear tip (intermediate tip / floating running line) and for the sinking line the Teeny TS 250 .

Hope this help.

hello piratkey! i am intrested in the 8weigth line. i see has a 40foot head length so probably it cast great.can it cast a bit large flies maximum 5 inches?mainly sliders and divers. as for the full sinking i see it is fast sink tip with floating line. i prefer a full sinking line to fish in a constant depth and dragging flies onto the bottom!

Gooner

The floating Airflow Line should be the same weight as the Intermediate so it should be fine with your rod. I have cast both float and sink and they work well. They are close enough to AAFTM std to work with a rod carrying  a similar rating.

I don’t want to recommend a specific line to you as you will have your own preferences. Some lines are integrated others are short head lines some long belly. Some are shooting heads.

You need to check out major line makers and there are only three of them and see  what they have to offer in sink rates 3 and 6.

I have the Airflow Expert Lines in S3 but I don’t like them. These days I don’t often need S3 lines so make do with them.

Mike

15 mins ago, Mike Oliver said:

Gooner

The floating Airflow Line should be the same weight as the Intermediate so it should be fine with your rod. I have cast both float and sink and they work well. They are close enough to AAFTM std to work with a rod carrying  a similar rating.

I don’t want to recommend a specific line to you as you will have your own preferences. Some lines are integrated others are short head lines some long belly. Some are shooting heads.

You need to check out major line makers and there are only three of them and see  what they have to offer in sink rates 3 and 6.

I have the Airflow Expert Lines in S3 but I don’t like them. These days I don’t often need S3 lines so make do with them.

Mike

Ι want a line to cover as much water as i can (so i assume a longer belly) and to fish in a constant depth near bottom( so probably a full sinking line). in the airflow categaory in sink3 i have seen the sixth sense but i dont know if it is for saltwater too...

Gooner

Ok I like Long belly lines to The Air Flow Cold Water  Striper is a long belly line. 

These lines will cast well flies of a size we use for our Bass. I cast  6 inch Deceivers no problem. If you want to cast very big flies then  9 and 10 wt outfits are better.

In the U.K. I use 10 wts as I need to beat wind as well as cast big flies.

An 8 wt is for me way too light.

You will probably need to go,to,Air flows USA web site to find the cold water series. Fish Tec are the retail U.K. part of Air flow and they don’t list them.

I use their 6 th sense lines for lake Trout and they are very good. But I only use the floaters. I don’t need sinkers for lake Trout Nymph fishing.

I prefer as you do a full  sink line. All the head and all the running line. I don’t line floating running lines.

Mike 

8 hours ago, gooner said:

only from shore!

From shore, if the bottom is principally composed with small stones or sand or mud ,you can use a full sinking line, if it's big rocks, so, sinking head are probably better.

About the flies, in winter and in my country, the sea bass like black flies, like this one but with the body black and purple head.

ep-tarpon-streamer-fly-tying-video-instructions.jpg.html.jpeg

Not sure where abouts on the coast you are fishing but on the south coast of the UK I use floating lines for 60% of my fishing where its shallow and rocky then intermediate lines for slightly deeper water - 6ft+. If you are fishing deep outlets etc then sinking shooting head lines, but I rarely use these where I fish.

If you are new to this then don't buy any fancy lines just use what you have including freshwater lines as long as they are heavy enough to cast the flies you are using.

13 hours ago, Mike Oliver said:

Gooner

Ok I like Long belly lines to The Air Flow Cold Water  Striper is a long belly line. 

These lines will cast well flies of a size we use for our Bass. I cast  6 inch Deceivers no problem. If you want to cast very big flies then  9 and 10 wt outfits are better.

In the U.K. I use 10 wts as I need to beat wind as well as cast big flies.

An 8 wt is for me way too light.

You will probably need to go,to,Air flows USA web site to find the cold water series. Fish Tec are the retail U.K. part of Air flow and they don’t list them.

I use their 6 th sense lines for lake Trout and they are very good. But I only use the floaters. I don’t need sinkers for lake Trout Nymph fishing.

I prefer as you do a full  sink line. All the head and all the running line. I don’t line floating running lines.

Mike 

As you said 6 inch flies are the biggest we need for our bass no need to go longer. tbh i havent tried this length on my 8wt the longest streamears i have are 4 1/2 inches decievers and  i can cast them fine on calm to slight moderate conditions. still searching but i cant find a saltwater specific di3 full sink:mad:ing line

5 hours ago, piratkey said:

From shore, if the bottom is principally composed with small stones or sand or mud ,you can use a full sinking line, if it's big rocks, so, sinking head are probably better.

About the flies, in winter and in my country, the sea bass like black flies, like this one but with the body black and purple head.

ep-tarpon-streamer-fly-tying-video-instructions.jpg.html.jpeg

the bottom is mainly sand with a bit of weed in the winter and with a lot of weed in the summer.we speak for places like the outside of docks and the mouth of estuaries where you cant find big boulders...nice EP fly i think it will work in muddy water or at night with no moon at all... as for sink tip i think you have right its better when you fish dep with a lot of snags because the running line is not dragging on the bottom...

2 hours ago, JRT said:

Not sure where abouts on the coast you are fishing but on the south coast of the UK I use floating lines for 60% of my fishing where its shallow and rocky then intermediate lines for slightly deeper water - 6ft+. If you are fishing deep outlets etc then sinking shooting head lines, but I rarely use these where I fish.

If you are new to this then don't buy any fancy lines just use what you have including freshwater lines as long as they are heavy enough to cast the flies you are using.

I fish in greece! the main depth i find bass here is from 50cm - 1.50 meter.i can cover thiss depth with floating and intermediate but there are some places with a bit more depth from 2-4 meters thats why i am trying to find a full sinking line!i dont have anything fancy just an airflo full intermediate 8wt.