BackCasts - a look back in time

Rate this topic

bonefishdick

I thought this could a very interesting thing to do, it would be sort of a ThrowBack Thursday type of thing but not limited to Thursdays, I would like to see the only rule be that you go back at least one year and each post contain a small story associated that makes the picture selection(s) special.

I will start with these, this was actually our third trip to Roscoe, NY and it goes back the year to 2008, I first took my son Matt to these streams in 2006, my son wanted to camp this trip rather than stay in a motel. We fished the Beaverkill River, the Willowemoc and the West Branch of the Delaware River.

The first two pictures are at the West Branch walking through the cornfield to a pool that now boasts Condos and is posted I believe. The next three pictures are of the Willowemoc and the last three of some the world famous pools on the Beaverkill River, my sons favorite pool was the Cairn's pool and mine was the Hendrickson 's Pool. My son slayed some big fish a Cairns' and I did very well on the Hendrickson's using Haystacks and small Parachute Adams. I also picked these so people could read a little history about the Beaverkill Pools.

5beed1adf1e4f_roscoe031a.jpg.4b019a2115de607e714d72e20ba3f4b9.jpg

5beed1c835d95_roscoe033.jpg.138969f4cdd78236d5a22e436ded379a.jpg

5beed27fba03a_roscoe018tb.jpg.f48f8edd4b7a63c8f8490de155c3e7eb.jpg

5beecba754579_roscoe019tb.jpg.fe9444253ec8df77049c7c95ba59a401.jpg

5beecb89b1af0_roscoe024ctb.jpg.6fe68ec82ca1ee8b37ad925f4062a87d.jpg

5beecbbf6a7b2_roscoe014tb.jpg.3ceebaab7353cb5efabc005314d99b7e.jpg

5beecbdbb2013_roscoe016tb.jpg.39215b16ee42a219b3ff5c86d54517e3.jpg

5beed36dcc92a_roscoe017.jpg.eee72918edce0e6e8356c30c74bada61.jpg

Edited by bonefishdick

The Tug Is The Drug

P1060161avrs.JPG.4cfec72f29b8d59afe85d0e7a9d85266.JPG

3 hours ago, JohnDe said:

Nice - looks like your son is fishing a 9' bamboo.  Do you recall the make?

John, he is fishing a Bamboo, as a matter of fact on this same trip he met and older gentleman from Canada with a small camper in the parking lot and when the old guy saw the rod he was very impressed that someone so young would use one. They got into an hour long discussion about Bamboo. The old guy was very impressed with his knowledge as much as I was, I think at the time  he had already owned three, this is just another part of the story on this trip, it is one of the values of pictures, they bring back memories that are lying dormant.

I am not sure how many he still has I know he likes to wheel and deal and trade, especially when he was living in Pa.

Edited by bonefishdick

The Tug Is The Drug

Spent most of my last two fishing seasons up on those pools Dick . I've made the decision it's where I'll be spending my time instead of the Striper Surf beaches the last 50 years . The Catskills Fly Fishing Museum is just upstream , the visit is a must for any traveler . We are so lucky to have many people who contribute in preserving this wonderful area for futures to come . New York is a great state where fly fishing is appreciated  in trout town Roscoe " Gentlemen , remove your hats , this is it .... This is where the trout was invented "  Some of these pools are No Kill Zones and can be fished during the closed season in the winter. 

Edited by Hook I

If it has fins i want to catch it 

1 hour ago, Hook I said:

Spent most of my last two fishing seasons up on those pools Dick . I've made the decision it's where I'll be spending my time instead of the Striper Surf beaches the last 50 years . The Catskills Fly Fishing Museum is just upstream , the visit is a must for any traveler . We are so lucky to have many people who contribute in preserving this wonderful area for futures to come . New York is a great state where fly fishing is appreciated  in trout town Roscoe " Gentlemen , remove your hats , this is it .... This is where the trout was invented "  Some of these pools are No Kill Zones and can be fished during the closed season in the winter. 

Chuck I did trips to Roscoe 11 years in a row and then the guys that I used to do the trips with as with me all moved on to other things that happen and life and the string came to and end. My son and I then started our own miny streak. As I said this was our third trip but the first time I took him the thing that struck me was how it made e question the quote " you can't go home again" because when we pulled into Roscoe it was like nothing had changed, it was all virtually the same. That felt great.

The Tug Is The Drug

On 11/16/2018 at 9:27 AM, bonefishdick said:

I thought this could a very interesting thing to do

5beed1adf1e4f_roscoe031a.jpg.4b019a2115de607e714d72e20ba3f4b9.jpg

5beed1c835d95_roscoe033.jpg.138969f4cdd78236d5a22e436ded379a.jpg

5beed27fba03a_roscoe018tb.jpg.f48f8edd4b7a63c8f8490de155c3e7eb.jpg

5beecba754579_roscoe019tb.jpg.fe9444253ec8df77049c7c95ba59a401.jpg

5beecb89b1af0_roscoe024ctb.jpg.6fe68ec82ca1ee8b37ad925f4062a87d.jpg

5beecbbf6a7b2_roscoe014tb.jpg.3ceebaab7353cb5efabc005314d99b7e.jpg

5beecbdbb2013_roscoe016tb.jpg.39215b16ee42a219b3ff5c86d54517e3.jpg

5beed36dcc92a_roscoe017.jpg.eee72918edce0e6e8356c30c74bada61.jpg

I think it's a great idea. And I love your first post, given my history. :kiss: I could tell stories about every one of those pictures. :beers:

I'm sticking to one for now. I like giving recognition to people I knew up there who did important and valuable things. Among them are a goodly number of NYSDEC fisheries biologists...almost all of them impressive; all of them really dedicated. 

One of them was Jerry (Gerald) Barnhart...retired 5+ years ago I think. I think that Jerry's the grandson of the Barnhart that the pool first got named for.  I first remember Jerry from Region 4 in Stamford, which covers a good part of the Catskills. Then he was moved to Albany. Became Director of Fish, Wildlife, and Marine Resources, and finished I think as an Asst. Commissioner. So Barnhart's Pool is special to me. Didn't fish it very much, but it's still special to me.

Edited by patchyfog

6 hours ago, bonefishdick said:

Chuck I did trips to Roscoe 11 years in a row and then the guys that I used to do the trips with as with me all moved on to other things that happen and life and the string came to and end. My son and I then started our own miny streak. As I said this was our third trip but the first time I took him the thing that struck me was how it made e question the quote " you can't go home again" because when we pulled into Roscoe it was like nothing had changed, it was all virtually the same. That felt great.

Dick Fishing with sons is very special as I have done with mine & daughter . FYI . we had so much rain this year the CFS was extremely fast and flooding was at its limits. Weather was very unpredictable , I'm heading south where it's 80 degrees for those other Trout next week 9 " of snow the day before last is not fun anymore. Post a pic of those Haystacks and small Parachute Adams. good to go back & forth with you again .  

2 hours ago, Hook I said:

Dick Fishing with sons is very special as I have done with mine & daughter . FYI . we had so much rain this year the CFS was extremely fast and flooding was at its limits. Weather was very unpredictable , I'm heading south where it's 80 degrees for those other Trout next week 9 " of snow the day before last is not fun anymore. Post a pic of those Haystacks and small Parachute Adams. good to go back & forth with you again .  

Chuck if I had any of those flies left I would be happy to post them, the Parachute Adams is a standard pattern and we used 16s and 18ss, the Haystack’s I always bought at the Liitle Store.. I think I heard they did go out of business. OThers shops in Roscoe May know the Tie. The other fly that always worked well for me was the Yellow Humpy size18.

this was an annual trip and every year I would not tie the flies, I bought my Adams and Humpy's from LL Bean by the dozens. 

The Tug Is The Drug

42 mins ago, bonefishdick said:

Chuck if I had any of those flies left I would be happy to post them, the Parachute Adams is a standard pattern and we used 16s and 18ss, the Haystack’s I always bought at the Liitle Store.. I think I heard they did go out of business. OThers shops in Roscoe May know the Tie. The other fly that always worked well for me was the Yellow Humpy size18.

this was an annual trip and every year I would not tie the flies, I bought my Adams and Humpy's from LL Bean by the dozens. 

gotcha ! 

I was hoping that this thread would get a bit more play now that things have almost reached its end for the season, anyway tonight is one of those nights when you can't get to sleep so I figured I would do another look back at some old pictures and I settled on these. I think on the nights I can't sleep I may just keep this thread going.

My first post was about a trip I took with my son on and this post is he returning the favor with him taking me to the Farmington River back in 2009 for the first time. I had never fished it before but I had many wonderful stories about it and he knew I would like it. My son had made numerous trips to the Farmington and learned his way around very well.

The Farmington is well known as is the names of the various pools, this trip was to the  "The Boneyard ". I remember walking to the water from the car and when we got to the river the second thing that caught my after looking at the water was a small "skeleton" hanging in a tree.

These are a few pictures from that trip. it is amazing how young my son looks in the pictures of him holding a very nice Brown.

P4220213sol.jpg.eff1e27fc604efd0048b4970200eee70.jpg

P4220216sol.JPG.0c15c6d74398243a3a924ada39593571.JPG

P4220222sol.JPG.81fdd5b07370d98d4d22e15464823f6c.JPG

This is my first Farmington Brown and as it turns out my favorite Trout picture of all the trout I have caught, I been framed and has been sitting on top of my tying desk ever since the trip

P4220219sol.jpg.d87211d1dd92f20b854d745af178eab7.jpg

Edited by bonefishdick

The Tug Is The Drug

It seems that this thread is not going to get the Throwback Thursday effect I had hoped that it would it would but that's okay, if people want to add a post from time to time that would be nice.

I have decided to on occasion go back and look at some old photos and if I thought there would be a story associated with the picture I would continue to add it with the hopes someone would enjoy it.

We are now at a point in the year that things have pretty much ground to a halt so time for one more story.

I actually started fishing Stripers in 1991 and the first rod I used was one I built using a Sage Blank at Building 19 and it was matched with an old Valentine Reel and a 8 wt line.  The rod and reel are long gone but this was the reel.  The one thing I never liked about the reel was it had a silent drag. It was also the first reel that taught about maintenance of my equipment. Back then I don't believe any reel made had a sealed drag. Fortunately the design of this reel made it easy to maintain and it was easy to know when it needed it. The discs that made up the drag under the red knob would get packed with dried salt making it harder to turn the drag knob to set the drag which meant time to clean the reel.

valentine_Reel_2.jpg.2dfa9fcd82733b3ef3b721ab324f2816.jpgvalentine_Reel_1.jpg.6ac4978485ece462b4d1eb46d04a199a.jpg

I can't remember how long I used this setup but the reel lasted  quite awhile and the rod was replaced by another Sage 9ft 8wt, Discovery Series I found at the Kittery Trading Post on sale.

Eventually the rod was replaced by my first TFO fly rod, the model was a two piece 9 ft 9 wt. The person who introduced me to TFO was John Kollett , it was just new to the market and they only had two levels of rods and limited numbers of models available. Jack Jakespeare was the NE sales rep and he asked John to sort of push the rod to any fly fisherman we would meet. The deal was back then he would sell usa rod at a 50% discount so the only cost me $ 50.

I still have a fairly good memory but I can't exactly remember what year that took place, What I do remember it was shortly after that when I started to do the MV Fly Fishing Catch & Release Derby, I believed I did that derby 11 years in a row.

This is the story of one the biggest fish I caught on the Vineyard, The location was something Park, I just can't remember the actual name now.

It was a very quiet night calm night  and that it was getting close to dusk when things began to start happening. It wasn't big breaks that we saw it was more or less we could see fish cruise in a straight line as they would porpoise along. Back then we always called the 7 o'clock rule which was we would change to an All Black Fly. The fly we used was called a Marabou Madness and it was tied on a 2/0 hook. It had a Brass Cone Head, Black Estaz Body with Black Marabou with some flash mixed in.

The fish would continue to porpoise and the trick was to lead the fish and time the strip  for the hookup, That was on the night of July 10, 2005 at 7:20 pm when I finally caught what I believe to be my biggest Martha's  Vineyard  fish.

The fish when we taped it was 38 inches but every time I look at this picture it always seems like it looks  bigger.

5bfb5716e361a_mv2005004.jpg.a443abf6cf57843b1a278174e8b9337f.jpg

The Tug Is The Drug

Believe it or not, just yesterday I was looking, mostly out of curiosity, on the big auction site for Valentine single action reels.  There are only a couple of the larger ones listed that have been there for a while and they are overpriced.  I've had a 101 for years that gets fished rarely but it did see some schoolie time on it early last month.  The smaller sizes (trout size) usually invoke some sort of bidding war.    That fish looks like 40" to me.

Edited by JohnDe