Kent I

Curley shock leader

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I'm new to surf fishing, and started using a shock leader for the first time on a trip to the OBX a couple of weeks ago. I finally got around to sorting out my gear ( 11' Star Paraflex and Abu 6500 Mag Elite) and found. That the shock leader (50# mono) looks like it's had a perm. Is there a way to decrease line memory, or is it just another constant that has to be worked around(is, change it every trip)?

I don’t fish conventional but doesn’t seem like that would matter. Besides, stretch the memory out of the mono, then reel several coils back onto the reel, and you’re bound to recreate the coil/memory in the leader. 

Anyway....

Heat via hot water, hair dryer, hot day, these will all work. Or, tie it off to something then stretch. I was using 50 lbs mono as surf leader for a while and I started hanging stretching 15’ of it tied tight on either side of a room in my basement. (Like a clothesline of Mono.) Up high.

I have a 25 lbs weighted vest I put on a coat hanger and put that in the middle of the mono clothesline and let that droop to the floor. Next day, two days later, no more memory in the line, except where the hanger was and I cut the stretched line in half at that spot. You can combine the stretching with the hair dryer thing for a much quicker result. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Pull the leader thru a folded piece of leather while applying pressure with your thumb and index finger a few times. I personally would be apprehensive about the application of artificial heat although it will surely relax mono

Edited by SC

You are storing the shock leader on the spool and teaching it to coil at same time. Consider 80 lb braid for the leader if you just can’t ignore the issue. I like four strand braid for this. Attach to main line Uni to Uni, or my favorite, Nail knot to Nail knot. Expect timing to be off with rod loading earlier than you are used to. Ten wraps on reel, and up and down for the drop, seems to work well.

You could try another brand of line of course, and that might help. That’s what I did, but couldn’t stand the coils passing through the guides. Switched to braid and that was that.

Posted (edited) · Report post

if leaving on the reel it's taking the memory of the reel.   Line is cheap when you figure what it cost for a fishing vacation.  Never get cheap about your line changing.  put on new leader.   And retie your  leader daily.

Edited by surffshr
hunter123 likes this

Thanks for all the great suggestions. Since the leader is already on the tee, I'll srart with just casting a few times to see if it straightens, then proceed from there.

On 11/17/2018 at 6:58 AM, SC said:

Pull the leader thru a folded piece of leather while applying pressure with your thumb and index finger a few times. I personally would be apprehensive about the application of artificial heat although it will surely relax mono

We did the same thing with a piece of rubber tire.  Cut a piece about an inch across an old bike tube.  works good. 

13 mins ago, CHIEF500 said:

I wouldn't reel the shock leader onto the reel to transport or store it. Tie the leader on after arriving to fish. That will eliminate the curls.

Great idea that i'm going to use...