tidewaterfly

Freshwater Bass Lures!

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Latest of the lures I've made. :)

The heads are all powder painted, and the skirts tied on. The spinnerbaits have Trokar, Mustad, and VMC hooks. All are 3/8 oz. The jigs are 1/2 oz, and have a Gamakatsu hook in the black & blue, Mustad Ultra Point in the PB&J. 5/0 in everything except the Trokar hooks, which are 4/0. 

thumbnail_IMG_0589.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0592.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0593.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0595.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0606.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0602.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0603.jpg

I've never had a problem with a spinnerbait not running true with smaller blades. I've put blades on some that were too big for the weight & they would fall on their side. The friend I made these for is fishing water in MD that I've fished and it's generally shallow. Most places is 10' or less and a lot of it is less than 5'. The bass aren't real big either for the most part, not like you might find in FL. A 5 lb bass is a big one in MD and DE, and 2 to 4 are a lot more common. There are bigger caught, but not on a regular basis. I used to do well with 1/8 oz spinnerbaits molded on 1/0 or 2/0 size hooks and smaller blades than what's shown here and also caught some nice size panfish on them. I tossed bigger, heavier, too, but sometimes those smaller & lighter lures got more bites. :)

On 11/15/2018 at 9:53 PM, tidewaterfly said:

Latest of the lures I've made. :)

The heads are all powder painted, and the skirts tied on. The spinnerbaits have Trokar, Mustad, and VMC hooks. All are 3/8 oz. The jigs are 1/2 oz, and have a Gamakatsu hook in the black & blue, Mustad Ultra Point in the PB&J. 5/0 in everything except the Trokar hooks, which are 4/0. 

thumbnail_IMG_0589.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0592.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0593.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0595.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0606.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0602.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0603.jpg

That top chartreuse color is killer in my area and I have many fond memories of large bass caught with that color....... Nice work! 

Stripercrazy, I've been making all kinds of jigs, spinnerbaits, buzzbaits and other lead based lures for a lot of years. Everything goes up in price, and I can't really say I've saved in making my own, as I keep adding to the addiction that making tackle can be. So, it's spent one way or another. I enjoy doing it, and can make what I want, so that's a benefit between making them & buying them. You can have custom lures made, but you'll spend to do it. I started with one Hilts mold, which I think was a basic round head in panfish sizes. Now, I have over 275  molds of various brands, and keep adding. I could have bought a lot of lures with what I've spent! 

Cadman T, thank you! The majority of fishing I've done & do now is freshwater, and for bass. I grew up in MD and fished the brackish tributaries of the Chesapeake Bay for bass, and now live in SC near the Santee Cooper lakes. I can see Lake Marion from my front porch, so still target bass the most, but I like chasing anything that I can. One reason I moved here was because there are both bass & Stripers in the lake. In those tidal rivers back in MD, I often caught both while fishing for one or the other, especially on spinnerbaits. I've made them in various sizes for both bass & Stripers and neither fish seems to be real particular about what they'll grab!