Fishalicious

Feds grant permission to kill sea lions in Oregon

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

This needs to happen on Cape Cod. 

"According to the release, the National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) approved ODFW’s application to lethally remove the California sea lions that are present at Willamette Falls in order to help save winter steelhead and spring Chinook salmon from extinction."

wow,thats great,,I never would have thought they'd do it.

maybe it'll be like a wave,,,travel far and spread.

it's about time they were with us.

HH

ps-where do I sign up ?

Don't have any issues with seals or sea-lions down here, but I can understand where they have and can cause problems.  Hopefully the Feds have the sense(wishful thinking) to do this at night and quietly(suppressed), to keep the inevitable backlash to a minimum.

1 hour ago, giant basshole said:

Hopefully it's done quickly and quietly . If the news gets a snippet of someone shooting one it's all over.

More than likely will be done like the Long Island Deer Cull; at night, by 'professionals' with suppressed rifles, with night vision. Sad thing is im not even joking. 

Good job by the government here - mining and lumber industries have destroyed the spawning areas, numerous damns block access, farming chews up ridiculous amounts of water and they want to shoot a few seals. 

Makes perfect sense!

Or they could handle it like they did the foot and mouth livestock cull in the UK back in 2001. In some cases they used army snipers to shoot livestock. They would then burn the bodies in broad daylight in huge fires. I was living in London at the time and there were "cow pyre's" on the news every night. They recently called in army snipers to shoot healthy cows in a dept dispute and have started hiring snipers to kill foxes in London. There is always an outcry from activists, in some cases justified, but the government continues to handle these things in the most ridiculous ways. No different here in the US. 

1 hour ago, beerdoh said:

Or they could handle it like they did the foot and mouth livestock cull in the UK back in 2001. In some cases they used army snipers to shoot livestock. They would then burn the bodies in broad daylight in huge fires. I was living in London at the time and there were "cow pyre's" on the news every night. They recently called in army snipers to shoot healthy cows in a dept dispute and have started hiring snipers to kill foxes in London. There is always an outcry from activists, in some cases justified, but the government continues to handle these things in the most ridiculous ways. No different here in the US. 

Oh man I can imagine my old soldiers trying to get on the "cow sniper" detail.  Couldn't they just lead them into a cattle car and take them to a crematorium.  Less public does the same thing.  Yeah government solutions don't make a lot of sense.  Once we had to stop training in the field to do mandatory safety training stand down.  The training was not to use a 50 caliber bullet as a hammer to drive a cotter pin.  Some poor idiot did that over seas and hit the primer needless to say there was not much left of his hand.