Gumption

In Braided Line Hell

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

I am in Cabo for 2 weeks, and have been surf fishing every morning for 3-4 hours...less lately because of the problems I am having.

1st rod is setup with a Penn Torque II spinning reel on a Penn 12' rod. Reel has 65 pound PowerPro braid, and I have been switching off using this rod with an other depending on the weight of the lure I am throwing. For 3 days of use...flawless. Then one morning I started getting knotted loops as I was casting...massive knotted loops. I have been throwing either a 3 or 4 ounce Robertson Ranger on this rig, and things got so bad that I had to peel off over 100 yards on line until a knotted loop developed at the end of a 350' cast...and that was the end of that rig to be able to be used. 

2nd rod setup is a Diawa Saltist 6500H spinning reel on a Penn 10' rod with 40 pound PowerPro braid. Using this rig to throw 1.5 - 3 ounce lures. Same scenario initially...things were going flawless...caught 2 Dorado on consecutive casts 1 morning until the line started breaking when casting. Not talking about the knot coming undone...talking about made a cast, lure is in flight, and then poof the line breaks while in the air before the lure even hits the water and it wasn't due to something knotting up on the spool stopping the line from coming out. To make a long story short I have lost almost $200 worth of lures because of the line just breaking. This morning I was reeling in a top water, and the lure was about 15' from sure and poof...the line breaks. I could see the lure floating in the surf with braid still tied to it. When I look at the line after reeling it in the end of the line does not have a clean cut/break...almost looks like the line broke from exceeding the strength of the line.

Now in both cases I am putting a lot of ass into getting the lures out to where the fish are. In both cases I am using fluorocarbon leaders to handle the shock. 

So I have a few questions...

Does braided line degrade with saltwater use? 

What would all of a sudden start to cause knotting in braided line on a spinning reel when it was fine for a few days before?

Why would 40 pound braid start to break off randomly but was fine for almost a week before? I checked for nicks on the spool, bail arm, guides, etc. and everything is nice and smooth. 

Just bad spools of PowerPro? 

Any ideas or input would be appreciated...

Reason why I don't use braid. Sounds like wind knots. I gave braid a try 4 or 5 times . Failed me every time. I would check my guide rings for cracks, I just never liked braid for durability fishing around rocks and under water structure. Some member will come along soon with the right braid answers. Tight lines.

23 mins ago, Gumption said:

Any ideas or input would be appreciated...

Obligatory Did you check your guides for cracks? 

And...how long ago did you purchase the powerpro? 

22 mins ago, buddha162 said:

Obligatory Did you check your guides for cracks? 

And...how long ago did you purchase the powerpro? 

Purchased the PowerPro just before the trip from BassPro. I have checked the guides...ran a q-tip around them and nothing happened to the cotton on the q-tip. Did the same for the spool and bail arm. Like I mentioned...after the line breaks I inspected the end of the line and it mostly looks like it had been over stressed as the breaks have never had a clean defined edge.

Never thought about wind knots, but in those situations there is a 4 ounce lure in use and the casts that I make involve a pretty consistent arc. Before the lure hit the water I close the bail as I am skittering this across the top of the water so there is not much slack...though I can't say that was for every cast. Attached a pic of just one of these. 

BraidKnotted.jpeg

Are you sure you are not getting the line over the top of the spool? Could the spool have been overfilled? 

This is something I’m just wondering about. Since you are in Cabo I’m guessing you’re smoking in your retrieve in hopes of getting a rooster fish. If this is the case, is the line laying properly? laying tight to the spool?

Could your line be twisting during your retrieve?

I don’t think age of the line is going to make much of a difference.

Losing $200 worth of Roberts lures is quite a feat :)

that little rats nest in the picture is more than likely the result of a loose loop flying off the spool and overrunning a guide starting a wind knot... this can happen when burning in a Roberts that is erratically skipping on the surface creating unequal tension. A rod with larger and fewer guides will have a harder time managing the line as it flies off the spool with the type of velocity you’re talking about 

23 mins ago, Alferd Packer said:

Are you sure you are not getting the line over the top of the spool? Could the spool have been overfilled? 

This is something I’m just wondering about. Since you are in Cabo I’m guessing you’re smoking in your retrieve in hopes of getting a rooster fish. If this is the case, is the line laying properly? laying tight to the spool?

Could your line be twisting during your retrieve?

I don’t think age of the line is going to make much of a difference.

Been fishing for a very long time so I know not to overfill the spools, and as I wrote for days prior no issues with either setup...then all of a sudden knotting and line breaks. I would think that if it was a line spooling issue it would have happened right away. I am sure that there is some line twist as there has to be for making the bait skitter across the top. Thing is with the 65 pound setup it is the knotting, and for the 40 pound setup it is random line breaks...but both setups are being fished the same way just using slightly different weight lures between the 2. 

Both setups were fine in week one, now that I am into week 2 and each rig has a different issue though they are being fishing the same way. 

Roosters are not around much because of the time of year though I did see one cruising the other day...smoking the retrieve for Dorado. Smoking is a relative term when the reels are only 6:1 ratios :-). Jacks and Needle Fish hitting too. 

Did you put braid on reels yourself? Having line put on by a tackle shop clerk via line winding machine is the way to go. .... Were the reels overfilled....... Did you flip bail over manually rather than with reel handle? Over sized guides? Your choice of plug, Roberts Ranger, with new line might be culprit too. That plug has no “drag” in the water and new line gets twisted up and loops form before line ins broken in properly. I find it’s better to use heavier lures that offer some resistance in the water like swimmers when braking in new line.. your problems could be caused by one or a combination of all of these? 

7 mins ago, marty_mccarty said:

Losing $200 worth of Roberts lures is quite a feat :)

that little rats nest in the picture is more than likely the result of a loose loop flying off the spool and overrunning a guide starting a wind knot... this can happen when burning in a Roberts that is erratically skipping on the surface creating unequal tension. A rod with larger and fewer guides will have a harder time managing the line as it flies off the spool with the type of velocity you’re talking about 

Not just Roberts...though I went through 5 with the line breaks. Also lost some Yozuri's and some Surface Pro's. Using Penn Caranage II rods in both cases...just different weights. 8 guides per rod, and thought these were good rods to go with? 

8 mins ago, VanStaalSteve said:

Did you put braid on reels yourself? Having line put on by a tackle shop clerk via line winding machine is the way to go. .... Were the reels overfilled....... Did you flip bail over manually rather than with reel handle? Over sized guides? Your choice of plug, Roberts Ranger, with new line might be culprit too. That plug has no “drag” in the water and new line gets twisted up and loops form before line ins broken in properly. I find it’s better to use heavier lures that offer some resistance in the water like swimmers when braking in new line.. your problems could be caused by one or a combination of all of these? 

Flip the bail manually...that's the way it is supposed to be done. I put the line on myself...been fishing for a VERY ling time...and things were in use for a week prior with no issues. If I was having the same problem  with both setups then it would be easier to figure out...but when you are basically doing the same thing with bot setups and having different issues that is where it becomes frustrating to figure out what the problem is.

Line has to be broken in? Never heard of that before????? Can you please elaborate on that?

Stopped using PP and started using suffix832.I get a few seasons out of it if I flip over. 

No problems. Never going back. 

Close the bail by hand making sure line goes on tight is a must. 

58 mins ago, Gumption said:

Purchased the PowerPro just before the trip from BassPro. I have checked the guides...ran a q-tip around them and nothing happened to the cotton on the q-tip. Did the same for the spool and bail arm. Like I mentioned...after the line breaks I inspected the end of the line and it mostly looks like it had been over stressed as the breaks have never had a clean defined edge.

Never thought about wind knots, but in those situations there is a 4 ounce lure in use and the casts that I make involve a pretty consistent arc. Before the lure hit the water I close the bail as I am skittering this across the top of the water so there is not much slack...though I can't say that was for every cast. Attached a pic of just one of these. 

BraidKnotted.jpeg

Wind knots have very little to do with wind. I have no idea why they call them that. :huh:

Why do you need 65# braid on a spinning reel? That is crazy heavy. Why do you need 40# braid to fish 1.5oz? Over-weighted but I guess not completely terrible. Both situations can lead to loose spools which is the main culprit of "wind knots".

Line ratings for braid are much lower than their actual breaking strength. Something else is going on. You may have had a simple overhand knot develop in your line causing it to snap. Just guessing. There was a bad run of 40# PP braid years ago. I can't imagine you would have the bad luck of buying one of those.