Beachglass Guru

Rod info needed ... 9'6 BH cape cod striper nano rod

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

I'm interested in the 9'6" BH cape cod striper nano rod but wanted some feedback from some of you folks who may have used it already.. I had planned on buying the 9'6 blank for a spinner build this winter so I went to a local shop to give it a feel. That's when I held the 9'2 and now I cant decide.. the area I plan to use it has some serious rips and turning a decent fish in that current takes some back bone, that's what pushed me towards this rod to begin with. However, after feeling it, I'm just not sure how well it will handle the lower end of its range.

The rod is rated 1-5 ..The majority of what will be thrown with it would be between 1oz and 3oz (occasionally down to 3/4 and up to 3.5).. I know the rod can handle 3oz+ with ease, it's the 1oz (even maybe 3/4oz) that I'm worried about.. 

I really liked the feel of the backbone in the 9'6 but wasn't sure the tip would be soft enough to handle the lower end of its rating well.

Looking for a little feedback from you fine folks that will hopefully make my decision a little easier..

I have the 9’6” as does Scooby (I bought it on his recommendation). I have a factory rod while he built his from a blank.  I like it quite a lot but it does not excel at the low end of the range. I hunk around 1.5 oz I’d where it really starts loading well.  I use it mostly for an inlet I fish and it’s awesome for turning fish in current. I can try throwing  1 or 3/4 oz over the weekend if you would like but my guess is that, while you might be able to throw them, it is really only based on tip speed and not from loading the blank. FYI, my personal view is that for virtually every rod i’ve tried (and I have quite a few rods), they all tend to throw one end of the range or the other end better. I can’t say i’ve encountered any rod that throws the entire range equally well. 

16 mins ago, HKJonathan said:

I have the 9’6” as does Scooby (I bought it on his recommendation). I have a factory rod while he built his from a blank.  I like it quite a lot but it does not excel at the low end of the range. I hunk around 1.5 oz I’d where it really starts loading well.  I use it mostly for an inlet I fish and it’s awesome for turning fish in current. I can try throwing  1 or 3/4 oz over the weekend if you would like but my guess is that, while you might be able to throw them, it is really only based on tip speed and not from loading the blank. FYI, my personal view is that for virtually every rod i’ve tried (and I have quite a few rods), they all tend to throw one end of the range or the other end better. I can’t say i’ve encountered any rod that throws the entire range equally well. 

I really appreciate the info.. inlet currents is exactly the type of fishing I would be using it for.

I absolutely agree that rods do excel at one end or the other of their range. I was hoping that this rod may have handled the lower to mid range well, but had my suspicions from feeling it that it would be a mid to upper end sweet spot.. unfortunately the 9'2 doesnt feel like it will have enough backbone for a decent fish in a good rip, so I'll likely just roll the dice on the 9'6..

Dont go out of your way to test cast an ounce.  But if you get out, and your fishing the rod, maybe try and toss a 1 oz bucktail and see how she flys.  

Thank you again for your feedback.. much appreciated