A Fuerteventura fly box?

Rate this topic

Highlandsaltyfly

Hi all

Havent managed to make it over the water this fall due to work and and general disorganisation. However, by way of consolation, I've managed to secure some leave in January and have booked a cheap getaway to Fuerteventura in the Canaries .

A lot of the fish they get will be familiar to you guys; bluefish ,altantic bonito, barracuda and the like . Plus some species related to fish you get in the states. They have a relative of the pompano called the palometa (Trachurinus ovatus) which basically does the same things as your  Florida species. I Plus big Grey mullet'm putting a fly box toorthree together for the trip and wonder if you guys have any experience and suggestions re patterns hook size etcs 

Heres my thinking

Bluefish ;Baitfish patterns, Clousers ,poppers, bangers ,crease flies

Bonito ; candies and crease flies

Baracuda, poppers bangers , ,not sure what else

Pompano; small crabby things!

Grey mullet; bread flies

I visited FTV a some 20 odd years ago and pretty much skunked badly on the  fly. I wasnt mobile and only fished with walking distance of my apartment. I raised a lot of big barracuda, up to a metre long but couldnt get them to commit .They'd zoom up to the fly and then back off . I think the problem was probably my retrieve as I tended to slow down to a slow twitch rather than maintaining my pace.

Jim

Hi Highlandsaltyfly

I dont want to be negative.... . Fishing in Fuerteventura in winter is not good, the water is cold and usually lot of winds .

For Fly fishing in Fuerteventura , for Mullet you need floating fly line, for the other fish you need  sinking fly line and intermediate fly line, the water is very deep close to the coast.

Hi

I get what you say ,but am limited by quiet times with my job and tight budget. Beggars can't be choosers! I'll make the best of whatever presents itself.

Not expecting to get to fish every day. I'm familiar with the coastal terrain, big seas and wind! Ill be mobile, so will keep an eye  on wind direction and choose accordingly.If conditions are favourable some of the deep water mark s might produce, I'll hopefully get a shot with my depth finder line. I've got a Cortland predator line and a good intermediate. I should be good to go when conditions allow. I'll have my 11foot spin rod for when things don't agree with the fly.

Will be happy even with a few garfish or palometa!

Jim

I would say that  Clousers may serve you very well as you listed. I know nothing about fishing for mullet. with regards to Pompano, don't just rely on Crabby things. I use more all white flies such as Clousers in size two, Hot Orange Bead chain Clousers and Lead eyes Crystal Schminnows. Pompano eat lots of different flies, the only time I use a crabby fly for Pompano is when I see them buzz the shore in schools looking for Sand Dabs. 

The Tug Is The Drug

P1060161avrs.JPG.4cfec72f29b8d59afe85d0e7a9d85266.JPG

I have not been to Fuerteventura - only Tenerife but not on a fishing trip. I want to go back to some of the other islands. Look up Manolo Almenara in the island of La Graciosa north of Lanzarote. They find some good fish on those trips. I have not contacted him but I am sure that an offshore fly fishing trip can be worked out.