Perfect Philly Cheese steak (for dummies)?

Rate this topic

jjdbike

I put ketchup on my cheesesteaks. Then I turned 6 years old.

Most of these recipes would get you shot here in Philly.  

John's Roast Pork is where you want to get the best cheesesteak around.  Cosmi's grocery store is second.  

Pissants don't get to assign positions to me.

Think of my posts as Rorschach tests.  How you respond to them tells more about you than it does about the post.

I also do not respond to deflections.

Drove by those places but never had a Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich.  In Memphis there was a joint, think Russians owned it, that made good cheesesteak.  Huge griddle with a couple guys chopping whatever you ordered together with big spatulas to cook.  No Cheezwhiz

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black

20 mins ago, Fly By Nite said:

Nothing at all great about either.  

Add Tony Luke's to this group of way over rated and over priced Steak joints.

Fortunately there are quite a few local neighbor hood spots that can make a darn good cheese steak.

I use Dattilo's Deli here in NE Philadelphia.

You must start with a crusted hearth baked roll with or without Sesame seeds, finely chopped boneless round beef. Good sharp Provolone cheese and than add what even fixins you want : salt, pepper, Catsup, sweet or hot cherry  peppers.

Cheese Wiz is not cheese but a mixture of ingredients that resemble processed cheese.

Ribeye is awesome for cheesesteaks. The most insane version I ever did was after having come across filet mignon for $5.99lb.....I partially froze it to make it easier to get paper-thin slices. On the outdoor wok (130K BTU) the filet migon was seared in nanoseconds. I made a hash of hot cherry peppers, onions and garlic. The rolls came from a local bakery and were perfect....crusty but not crunchy....we slit them down the middle, buttered them heavily and toasted them on a cast-iron skillet. Guests had a choice of three cheeses.....sliced sharp provolone, Wiz or grated mozzarella.  Yes, the filet lacked the fat of ribeye, however, the addition of buttered rolls, the hash and extra cheese made up for that. Wiz and filet mignon.....it doesn't get any better.....:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Just imagine how happy you would be if you lost everything you have in life and then suddenly got it back
SOL Member #101

Check Asian/Korean grocery’s if you have any near. They have ribeye sliced very thin for ‘Bulgogi’. Can get it here for 5.99 lb usually. The Mrs sizzles a bunch on an iron griddle we have with onions S&P. We end up using baguettes as fresh as we can get them, and once sliced we pull out a bit of the excess bread inside making a sort of trough. Melt some sharp prove on top and add some hot and sweet cherry peppers. Works for us

Edited by iceberg57

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 7:11 AM, odiemike86 said:

Philly cheesesteaks are overrated

This is generally true, and Pat's and Geno's are garbage.

But a good Philly cheesesteak is a decent sammy: it does not reach the gustatory heights of, say, an Italian hoagie or a roast pork Italiano (the latter is the best Philly food there is, sez me), but it's not awful. A good Philly cheesesteak is worth beating your gums agains.

Terri Mae does not approve this message, but screw him.

Cheese whiz for me.  Nothing wrong with a little ketchup either.  When cheese whiz, ketchup, steak grease all mix together it makes a slurry that makes me very happy.

On the other hand, few things are more torturous than listening to Santa Claus booing Philadelphians discuss their BS cheesesteak dogma.  Enjoy a cheesesteak however you like.

Edited by Cpalms

1 hour ago, Belmo said:

This is generally true, and Pat's and Geno's are garbage.

But a good Philly cheesesteak is a decent sammy: it does not reach the gustatory heights of, say, an Italian hoagie or a roast pork Italiano (the latter is the best Philly food there is, sez me), but it's not awful. A good Philly cheesesteak is worth beating your gums agains.

Sarcone's makes some of the best hoagie rolls 

19 hours ago, FrankStar said:

John's Roast Pork is where you want to get the best cheesesteak around.  Cosmi's grocery store is second.  

Me and the kid did a cheesesteak hunt a few winters ago, and John's came in 4th. Here was our top 5 (we surprisingly agreed on all these rankings):

1. Sonny's.
  2. Joe's (formerly racial-slurs-R-us).
  3. Steve's Prince of Steaks
  4. John's Roast Pork
  5. Chubby's (way better than Dallesandros)

Y'know what my main problem is with John's? I can't order a cheesesteak there, because roast pork is so much better. I think I very slightly prefer DiNic's to John's, but either one of them beats any cheesesteak anywhere.

Terri Mae does not approve this message, but screw him.

16 mins ago, Midnightpass said:

Hate that crap..... Way too sweet....

You ain't buying the right stuff. And trust me, I abhor stuff with sugar added.......

;)

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

"You can no longer be oppressed if you are not afraid anymore - Unknown"

SOL Member #174

Philip's on 22-23 & Passyunk is my favorite place to buy them.  Wiz with onions salt pepper and Ketchup. Side of Fries and a birch beer to go with it makes a great Saturday lunch. 

Making them at home - Amoroso's rolls are preferrable followed by  Sarcones or Liscio's.  Cooking the onions in the same pan as frying up the steak is my favorite.   Then 3-5 slices of American cheese per sandwich.  Round or Ribeye are both great, but some stores around me sell thin sliced "chip steak" that is great for making them with quickly.

Pats- before they tried the franchise-a long time ago- I really liked them. Currently they have the best cherry peppers I ever ate (aged in barrels-NOT for sale to the public) the very best tasting HOT sauce for steaks that I've had and excellent roasted red peppers- and I really like ALL three of them on a steak. You may not trust me after this-but when I used to load them with all three I preferred cheese whiz.

SO- Pats for condiments. Plenty of folks walk over from next door for the superior condiments. I still occasionally get a steak to go there so I can fill the bag with condiments.

For home: The bread makes it work -so choose carefully.

either rib eye or Angus sliced very thin.

Here is what makes it work- you have to cook it on steel with a metal spatula. Shred it down as you cook. Looks like a chopping motion. It breaks down the fibrous parts of regular chipsteak -and works well on the better stuff.

You can almost fake it with a meat hammer (prior to cooking of course)

I like it with larger pieces of chopped onion-and if I'm not going HOT-like with Pats  triple condiments-then I love to smother with mushrooms.

Now if you don't have the triple from Pats- try this roast some whole cloves of garlic and either cook your own long hots or get a jar of Mancini's long hots. Onion-garlic & long hots is a great combo.

If you got the bread-shred the meat as you cook it and the right condiments- a cheese steak is a delicacy. 

Don't even cut the roll until you are ready to load.

Edited by Gatr522