Bfishes333

Favorite blade fixed/ folder

Rate this topic

3,746 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, RiverRaider said:

What model is that Plum ?

Same as this I think?

kershaw-emerson-cqc-2k-6024blk-black.jpg

This is the model tag on the box. I’d defer to Bospa on the details. 

Wish it was built in the US...next one. 

I won a few bucks on fantasy football and my met my mailman buddy to collect right next to the store, so figured I’d grab a little something. 

0BF16644-4EC9-4661-AC74-14FB3BCCDCC3.jpeg

30 mins ago, JaseB said:

The South Shall Rise....AGAM.

Good luck buddy.  Had a biopsy about 5 years ago.  Another on the horizon. 

God Bless.

You too full advantage of the opportunity!  

Thanks and I hope your next yields good results! 

Had to do it... Knife thread and all. Lol. 

28 mins ago, Jdeadman66 said:

You keep the strong will and the fighting spirit. You keep the kids close. I’ll say some prayers. And if you need us, we’re here. 

You got it! Thanks! 

This community we have here is pretty special, considering most of us have never met each other :heart:

Still just playing with the Work Sharp... But I have a question. 

Using just the fine stone and then the ceramic, the blade is hair shaving sharp. It's a new blade so its nothing more than touch up. After that, I grabbed my belt and did a few strop passes. It seemed to shine that edge up real nice but it doesn't shave hair anymore. What's the deal? 

I did read about a mirror edge vs an edge with minor serrations. Mirrors don't cut as well, apparently. Is that my issue? 

8 mins ago, Scallywag said:

Using just the fine stone and then the ceramic, the blade is hair shaving sharp. It's a new blade so its nothing more than touch up. After that, I grabbed my belt and did a few strop passes. It seemed to shine that edge up real nice but it doesn't shave hair anymore. What's the deal? 

I did read about a mirror edge vs an edge with minor serrations. Mirrors don't cut as well, apparently. Is that my issue? 

Spot on.  Unless you have a scalpel edge, strop is not neccessary.   Have had the same experience.   The honing stones take the place of it.

11 mins ago, Scallywag said:

I have the same question. I sharpened and stropped mine. Blade felt sharp before strop. After felt weird, but it cuts good.

3 mins ago, JaseB said:

Spot on.  Unless you have a scalpel edge, strop is not neccessary.   Have had the same experience.   The honing stones take the place of it.

Awesome! This thing is the TITS! Seriously takes the idiot (me) out of the sharpening. 

32 mins ago, Scallywag said:

The strop takes a really light touch and the leather should be lying flat on the table.

What is dulling your edge is when the leather uncompresses as the knife goes by it runs up along the very edge, dulling it the tiniest bit.

That gets really bad if the leather is unsupported, like the barbers did in the old western movies.

Using a strap hung on the wall takes a real touch.

I like to glue a bit of old belt or leather to a paint stick to make  a strop. Any scrap of flat wood will do....

Mirror edge will shave hair and cut well. 

Matters what you want to cut.

Meat and fish I like a toothy edge that grabs and cuts. The cutting motion is drawing the knife thru the meat, a slice.

My knifemaker friend in MS swears that a mirror edge will clog with fat when dressing a deer in cold temps.

Cardboard and paper, a mirror edge will push cut and you don't have to draw the knife or saw with it.

Wood, mirror for sure. Look at a carver's chisels.... All push cuts there too.

You can strop a toothy edge as well.

Jerry Fisk recommends a fine norton india stone and strop afterwards.

Best of both worlds.

13 mins ago, Ebbtide231 said:

The strop takes a really light touch and the leather should be lying flat on the table.

What is dulling your edge is when the leather uncompresses as the knife goes by it runs up along the very edge, dulling it the tiniest bit.

That gets really bad if the leather is unsupported, like the barbers did in the old western movies.

Using a strap hung on the wall takes a real touch.

I like to glue a bit of old belt or leather to a paint stick to make  a strop. Any scrap of flat wood will do....

Mirror edge will shave hair and cut well. 

Matters what you want to cut.

Meat and fish I like a toothy edge that grabs and cuts. The cutting motion is drawing the knife thru the meat, a slice.

My knifemaker friend in MS swears that a mirror edge will clog with fat when dressing a deer in cold temps.

Cardboard and paper, a mirror edge will push cut and you don't have to draw the knife or saw with it.

Wood, mirror for sure. Look at a carver's chisels.... All push cuts there too.

You can strop a toothy edge as well.

Jerry Fisk recommends a fine norton india stone and strop afterwards.

Best of both worlds.

Lots of good info, thanks. I did exactly what you say not to... The old barber/belt trick. 

The finished edge from the ceramic is more than sharp enough anyway. I mean I wouldn't mind learning to make a mirror edge but it's obviously not necessary.