Favorite blade fixed/ folder

Rate this topic

Bfishes333

Just now, Scallywag said:

Very nice. I'm with Bospa, I like that stacked leather. I spent the extra dough for the stacked leather Estwing hammer I have. It's worth it. 

I looked at the bean Knives. They have some nice stuff but I noticed they're selling some non Bean branded stuff for well over what other retailers are. I think they are selling the Benchmade 940 for like $210. 

I’ve been done with those granola sucking commies for a while now.

Surprised they still sell knives.

1 min ago, Wigeon said:

I’ve been done with those granola sucking commies for a while now.

Surprised they still sell knives.

I still buy from them here and there. Usually buy my hiking boots from them. I've been wearing the same Salomon hikers for about 8 years. Beans sales can get you something real cheap. 

I bought my Muck Woody Max boots for like $70 from them. And the Salomons I get for at least 25% off. 

51 mins ago, Scallywag said:

Well that's disappointing. If you don't mind me asking, where did you buy it from? I'd like to handle a knife before I buy one but that's really not an option around my area. Walked into Dicks yesterday and all they had was Gerber and SOG. 

Amazon

2 hours ago, mike3dr said:

No sweat Bob, feels more like an imitation kids knife than a real stout/sturdy knife, with a fake finish. Favorite is the Falkniven blade that you recommended. 

Pretty much a light duty "Gentleman's" knife. A throwback to the past where another tool would be in reach... like an axe :)

1 hour ago, JaseB said:

I was in the Farmers Co-op on Tuesday and couldn't help but look in the knife display case. It was full of buck folders that ranged in price from a buck and a half to two bills. Is that the going price these days?

Buck has a custom shop, so maybe they had upgrades in blade steel and handle materials?

Maybe they were "vintage"?

Or just pseudo collector rip off prices....

Bospa, what amazes me, on quality, is how some companies struggle to get it right and Victorinox (Swiss Army Knives) gets it right every time and with the volume they produce.

8 mins ago, Ebbtide231 said:

Pretty much a light duty "Gentleman's" knife. A throwback to the past where another tool would be in reach... like an axe :)

Buck has a custom shop, so maybe they had upgrades in blade steel and handle materials?

Maybe they were "vintage"?

Or just pseudo collector rip off prices....

Bospa, what amazes me, on quality, is how some companies struggle to get it right and Victorinox (Swiss Army Knives) gets it right every time and with the volume they produce.

Exactly Ebb. Even GEC quality has had some issues lately as they go through growing pains, but at least they will make it right if there is an issue. Victorinox is a model of efficiency and quality. You can expect and get consistent quality every time you pick up a new one. They've been doing it so long. I have several and they're just so dependable. 

39 mins ago, Scallywag said:

Is it possible that it is a knock off? I'm just as weary of Amazon as eBay. 

I was reading into it few weeks ago.. seems like there’s many many knock off on both those sites .. 

some of the the prices are hard to resist and I’d call that a red flag .. tempting though .. still find myself paying a few more dollars to buy from a legit company .. also if there a problem much easier to settle with a big box then some eBay seller 

I don't believe there are many knockoffs in the sub $100 range. They would have to sell a crapload to make any real profit. You mostly see knockoffs in the higher end knives. Sebenza's, Benchmade, Spyderco, and up from there. That's where they make the profit. There is a lot of info on specific knives online on how to spot fakes for each maker. Some clues are even in the packaging of the knives. I know Sebenza's have all that info right on their website.

44 mins ago, bospa357 said:

I don't believe there are many knockoffs in the sub $100 range. They would have to sell a crapload to make any real profit. You mostly see knockoffs in the higher end knives. Sebenza's, Benchmade, Spyderco, and up from there. That's where they make the profit. There is a lot of info on specific knives online on how to spot fakes for each maker. Some clues are even in the packaging of the knives. I know Sebenza's have all that info right on their website.

I bought a price is to good to be true buck vanguard off Amazon a few years back. It was a knockoff. 

8 mins ago, Shaky86 said:

I bought a price is to good to be true buck vanguard off Amazon a few years back. It was a knockoff. 

How could you tell? 

Edited by RiverRaider

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. – William James