buddha162

Squid Run

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Frozenbarb said:

What about flashy squid lures? I'd like to try some squidding too. Maybe we could link up and try for the first time lol. I'd have to do some research on this spot light/generator stuff. I've seen car batteries powering up green underwater LED for the herring run in the past. Same concept?

1. Small size Japanese squid jigs are the best Yo-Zuri or yama****a. Pink is the most popular color.

2. Light tackle.  I use 10 lb main and 6 lb leader.   

3  As said above, you need moving water.  For me, windy day is more productive. 

4. Spot light and generator are overkill in my opinion if you only need a few for dinner table.  I have seen people catching without light. 

13 hours ago, Frozenbarb said:

What about flashy squid lures? I'd like to try some squidding too. Maybe we could link up and try for the first time lol. I'd have to do some research on this spot light/generator stuff. I've seen car batteries powering up green underwater LED for the herring run in the past. Same concept?

Yo-zuri are my jig of choice. Sometimes I rig up 2 or 3 in sequence and use a splitshot or 2 to adjust the rate of fall..

Pink and orange are my best producers..

I made a green led squid light that works amazingly well and cost about $5 in parts from fleabay.. it runs as long as I need it too off of my fish finder battery for the kayak... 

Anybody considering going tonight?

If the rain \ wind dies down ..anyone want to meet up  ( I dont have a light )

I would be going to 'HS'  ...  if you know what that means \ where it is .. you should if you do this regularly.

PM me if your thinking of braving the weather

On 11/15/2018 at 3:19 PM, patnyc said:

1. Small size Japanese squid jigs are the best Yo-Zuri or yama****a. Pink is the most popular color.

2. Light tackle.  I use 10 lb main and 6 lb leader.   

3  As said above, you need moving water.  For me, windy day is more productive. 

4. Spot light and generator are overkill in my opinion if you only need a few for dinner table.  I have seen people catching without light. 

Good info, thank you! 

Anyone try after the snow storm? 

Last night (Saturday) had the perfect makings of a great night. 

High tide 7pm...hit the spot and LIGHTS WERE ON..

No less than 20 rods in the water with an assortment of lights, green, white, over water, in water.

1 squid taken by a lucky young lady...  

Jigged till 9:30pm  then off to spot #2 ... nobody there

Spot#3 on the way back South... nada.

No excuses, wasn't too cold, too warm, too early, too late.

Same old story from everyone ... 2018 being the wakeup call year that many of our fisheries are in trouble.

I did meet a nice guy who's hobby is under water filming and he shared his youtube handle  "Kongsit" ..check out his vids.

Lucky for me he was able to confirm no fish under the water.. so no need to waste time.

Might be time to hang it up...

Looks like all squids are gone too.

This is so early for them.

Usually they are around at least January

Nobody is catching anything on local piers.

Only frozen fingers.

I can endorse Pops' post, I have gone a total of 9 times this year to the usual hot spots and all feedback points to a pathetic run.

Getting skunked fishing is one thing... getting skunked freezing your bunyons off at night ...thats just cruelty.

My suid jigs are hung up for 2018

Bye bye fried "galama"

Irony is that few nights I went down, just to walk on piers and everybody is catching squid.

As soon as I got some time and my squid  gear ready, everything is dead.