buddha162

Squid Run

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

Anyone doing anything with squid from shore this year? How long does the Fall run usually last? Planning on checking out this fishery (squidery?) next week. Any input appreciated!

Is one thing I been saying I’m gonna get into for years and never have .. I know my wife would more then happy if I came home with a few dozen fresh squid .. curious myself about what , when , where people having luck 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Now is the time, though I'm afraid this cold snap might shut it down completely.  I've had them through Thanksgiving on a mild year.

Monday night I had 7 nice ones before the rain started.  Last night nada with the wind and the cold.

Check your local piers and docks.  If the squid are in, there will be groups of Koreans with generators and spotlights.  That's where you want to be.

Edited by derangler

57 mins ago, derangler said:

Check your local piers and docks.  If the squid are in, there will be groups of Koreans with generators and spotlights.  That's where you want to be.

I'm not local to any docks or piers, but I have some idea where the "hotspots" are. I wonder if the Koreans will let a Chinese brother edge in on their light? Aniyosayo, can I jig in your light beam? Lol...

Will report back if I make the trek. Thanks!

I can add 2 things here

#1 - it has been very slow, the water went from too warm 2 weeks ago, to too cold this week

#2 - I tried to "mooch" off other peoples' lights and given the fishing is slow THEY DID take issue.  I suppose if the fishing was phenomenal they would not care. Not that I minded, I tried to be nice about it...but in the end, I'm considerably more physically intimidating than all of them together.. Worst case scenario,  I just yell "Look Godzilla" then when everyone turns I cast next to the light.  :howdy:

1 hour ago, baldadonis2002 said:

I tried to be nice about it...but in the end, I'm considerably more physically intimidating than all of them together.. Worst case scenario,  I just yell "Look Godzilla" then when everyone turns I cast next to the light.  :howdy:

AMEN Brother.  

Go up to the North shore to one of the main drinking towns located in a bay..

There will be a ton of generators running lights, Honda odyssey minivans and shouting. 

24 mins ago, GarbageFish said:

AMEN Brother.  

Go up to the North shore to one of the main drinking towns located in a bay..

There will be a ton of generators running lights, Honda odyssey minivans and shouting. 

Lol, I might do that. Final question: any favorable tide to squiding? 

Bring a few bottle of soju and you'll make some new friends. ebay and amazon has cheap submersible led light if you can't mooch off someone else's light. 

Buddha.. the answer is no -  you just need a moving tide  (obviously not dead low)

IMHO if its 32 degrees out... your not catching them .... so if your thinking to go tonight... opt for the hot cocoa and NETFLIX instead

4 mins ago, baldadonis2002 said:

Buddha.. the answer is no -  you just need a moving tide  (obviously not dead low)

IMHO if its 32 degrees out... your not catching them .... so if your thinking to go tonight... opt for the hot cocoa and NETFLIX instead

Thanks for the tip! Can't get out there til next week...I just need a couple for a cooking video lol. 

I'm just like you...  3 maybe 4 and I split ...  a little fresh fried diavlo and I'm good

Sadly I've seen the "regulars" bag 50+  and keep dropping right back down well into the night

No concept or care about a sustainable fishery... not even a fleeting thought of conservation.

I see the same crew.. man, woman, child 20 deep using ANYTHING, a walmart rod, a spider man rod.. anything ALL IN during the herring run.

Its a very simple premise ... KILL AND EAT EVERYTHING

You want to die laughing .. ask them if they have a Saltwater Registration Card... ask,  I dare ya!

Sadly, it's all too common. And personal conservation is very much a "western" concept...one that took 20 years for me to hammer into my uncle's head. But now he gets it; many never do. Of course I've seen people of all backgrounds do heinous things to our resources...

I also plan on going for herring this year, but again, just keeping a few for the table. They really ought to slap bag limits on EVERYTHING. 

What about flashy squid lures? I'd like to try some squidding too. Maybe we could link up and try for the first time lol. I'd have to do some research on this spot light/generator stuff. I've seen car batteries powering up green underwater LED for the herring run in the past. Same concept?