surf rod thickness comparison

Rate this topic

ksong

On 11/18/2018 at 4:36 PM, Tagman said:

PM returned. Thx

Looked at the new 10'6" 3/4-4 tonight and it has a very nice build quality and felt powerful for the rating. Didn't fish it, just put a bend in it. Caught a few fish on my buddies custom 9'6 Striper Series tonight as well, and love that rod. My builder has had issues but have both Striper Series blanks ready to be built as soon as he can. For what I do I don't trust St. Croix surf rods although I personally never broke one fishing friends just seen alot of issues, but really like what I have seen from the rods in use in my area from BH. Only one that broke was left in the rod holder and driven into the garage door, so don't recommend doing that, but after seeing several big fish flipped and ackward bends put on rods, can say that they are very durable. Definitely worth fishing one to gather your own opinion. 

6 hours ago, dennysnook said:

Looked at the new 10'6" 3/4-4 tonight and it has a very nice build quality and felt powerful for the rating. Didn't fish it, just put a bend in it. Caught a few fish on my buddies custom 9'6 Striper Series tonight as well, and love that rod. My builder has had issues but have both Striper Series blanks ready to be built as soon as he can. For what I do I don't trust St. Croix surf rods although I personally never broke one fishing friends just seen alot of issues, but really like what I have seen from the rods in use in my area from BH. Only one that broke was left in the rod holder and driven into the garage door, so don't recommend doing that, but after seeing several big fish flipped and ackward bends put on rods, can say that they are very durable. Definitely worth fishing one to gather your own opinion. 

Statistics, of course youre going to see more defects on a brand that has been out for decades producing thousands more than BH compared to one that has been out for 5 years and custom builds.

1 hour ago, Ravens52988 said:

Statistics, of course youre going to see more defects on a brand that has been out for decades producing thousands more than BH compared to one that has been out for 5 years and custom builds.

I own 5 different Legends for years and never experienced a single rod issue, and I fish them hard. 

I stopped listening to friends of friends....

BH may or may not be the toughest and thinnest rod on the face of the earth but I am looking in a rod for other qualities...such as sensitivity, recovery, castin, service, components etc

I don’t write BH down on any of these features as I have no clue and I am also not interested in other people views.

Edited by levari

1 hour ago, Ravens52988 said:

That is true. But you remember thousands and thousands of Black Hole rods have been used in Korea and overseas in 30 years.  

The thin diameter rods can not be as strong as regular diameter rods. We will make sure those thin rods are strong enough for untended fish like striper or drum by testing hard  

1 hour ago, ksong said:

That is true. But you remember thousands and thousands of Black Hole rods have been used in Korea and overseas in 30 years.  

The thin diameter rods can not be as strong as regular diameter rods. We will make sure those thin rods are strong enough for untended fish like striper or drum by testing hard  

Exactly, overseas, id like to get ahold of those percentages as to how many bought versus how many defects and see if theyre still the same as the newer rods

1 hour ago, levari said:

I own 5 different Legends for years and never experienced a single rod issue, and I fish them hard. 

I stopped listening to friends of friends....

BH may or may not be the toughest and thinnest rod on the face of the earth but I am looking in a rod for other qualities...such as sensitivity, recovery, castin, service, components etc

I don’t write BH down on any of these features as I have no clue and I am also not interested in other people views.

So youre looking for what any smart rod buyer looks for in a rod?

1 hour ago, ksong said:

Perhaps you should run a comparison tests against the Century rods and see if your thin rods are as strong as the Century thin rods. What’s the point comparing the thickness and bypassing all the other more important features.

Edited by levari

3 hours ago, levari said:

Perhaps you should run a comparison tests against the Century rods and see if your thin rods are as strong as the Century thin rods. What’s the point comparing the thickness and bypassing all the other more important features.

My bet ($$$) would be on Century ....... any takers?

J:wag:n

6 hours ago, Ravens52988 said:

Statistically almost everyone I know that owned a mojo surf had reel seat spinning issues, seen two break, one high sticking and one flipping a fish too big for the rod and heard of many others I didn't witness. My roomate broke 3 himself and claims two weren't his fault or stressed the rod highly. Not fond of the guide layout either. Watched 3 avids blow up at the ferrule next to me, one guy falling into me from the pressure release and 2 break while casting. Same with the legends, new and old. Alot is user error but have seen many cases where it is rod error. Enough to deter a life long St. Croix fan away from anything suited for my fishing. Regardless of the warranty, I don't trust the rods because the percentage of breakage to ownership isn't even in the realm of what I have seen with Black Hole especially when I thought that rod should of broke. When I flip fish with my buddies Legend I feel the rod stressing and don't trust it. Not the case with my friends 9'6 I used last night. In Levari's case he feels strongly about his legends capabilities. Only way you are going to know is to get out and form your own opinion. In my case I put more trust in BH than I do St. Croix. It is way beyond a numbers game

15 hours ago, Fishy4335 said:

Black hole vs century graphene!!! I will be watching.... high sticking 20 lbrs.. wall smacking, machine testing break strength... and of course the famous water gallon jug test!

But we already know that they are both very good rods. What will any of this prove? That one is "better" than anouther, or the "best" rod on the market? You can run these test but in the end everyone will have their own preferences and the "best" rod will always be subjective. Don't get me wrong, I own and enjoy fishing high end gear but I'd rather be out actually fishing than debating who has the best rod.

Chasing false echoes

Send lawyers, guns, and money - Zevon

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - Thompson 

DITCH TROLL 333

1 min ago, Sandbar1 said:

But we already know that they are both very good rods. What will any of this prove? That one is "better" than anouther, or the "best" rod on the market? You can run these test but in the end everyone will have their own preferences and the "best" rod will always be subjective. Don't get me wrong, I own and enjoy fishing high end gear but I'd rather be out actually fishing than debating who has the best rod.

Good point. It is subjective

2 hours ago, Sandbar1 said:

I agree with you.  We don't compete with other brands rods. We just want to introduce  the quality rods with our own ideas and technology we have.

10 hours ago, Sandbar1 said:

Are you going fishing tonight, tomorrow?

The question is  really are these rods comparable ? If the quality of these rods is the same then I rather spend $200 on BH and not $600 or $700 on the Century rod.

Edited by levari