r111

Top 2 cold weather items you swear by

28 posts in this topic

1. This item, scarfy-looking doodad, covers your heck/chin area, a godsend. Thermal spun acrylic knit & fleece lining. $10 on amazon for entire combo. Search for "2-Pieces Mens Beanie Hat Scarf Set ".

2. Thermal top & bottom. These wick moisture away, a giant plus. Costco sells these for about $7 per. Amazon etc

With all the great inventions of late, it seems that common wool gloves are still the ticket for thy hands. Stick a pack of heating pads into each.

Could be a great fishing day, but you get cold and it ceases being fun in a hurry. 

dedw.jpg

Mysterioso base layer tops and bottom.

Stohlquist bunny suit.

(base layers to be worn under semi dry suit)

For paddlers, 'pogie' hand sleeves that velcro on the paddle are priceless. They keep you far warmer than gloves, at least when your hands are in them. You can also use them with gloves, but I like having a bare hand on the paddle. I have a perfectly usable neoprene pair from Seals that are decades old. A 3mm neoprene dive beanie is very nice too, if there's a fair bit of spray it keeps your head dry.

P1000164.jpg

2 hours ago, saltfisherman said:

Moving to Florida and oh ya 2nd one, moving to Florida. 

I'll take the NJ winter over the FL summer. Can't take that.

18 mins ago, gellfex said:

I'll take the NJ winter over the FL summer. Can't take that.

Gell, it’s hard to believe but you do used to it. First year was tough. Yes, I do sweat 3 times by 9am most mornings working outside. The worst is the hardhats while I’m the sun. You do purposely learn to move slower. Lots of water, never drank so much as I do now these days. 

When everything is said and done I do miss NJ in so many ways. Striper and blues on the fly. The fluke fishing is my favorite and that is the hardest of them all to not catch. But, I am out fishing every week and these days given present conditions of the water a little less. 

Hunting, damn I miss deer hunting. I did come back up last year and bow hunt. I’ll be back up again next year for few weeks. So I’m getting my fix that way. I’m not hunting here. 

47 mins ago, saltfisherman said:

Gell, it’s hard to believe but you do used to it. First year was tough. Yes, I do sweat 3 times by 9am most mornings working outside. The worst is the hardhats while I’m the sun. You do purposely learn to move slower. Lots of water, never drank so much as I do now these days. 

When everything is said and done I do miss NJ in so many ways. Striper and blues on the fly. The fluke fishing is my favorite and that is the hardest of them all to not catch. But, I am out fishing every week and these days given present conditions of the water a little less. 

Hunting, damn I miss deer hunting. I did come back up last year and bow hunt. I’ll be back up again next year for few weeks. So I’m getting my fix that way. I’m not hunting here. 

I'd literally be dead. Dehydration triggers my diverticulitis via, umm, stoppage. I stayed up all night manning the pumps during Irene and dehydrated, had a bad bout. I keep a liter bottle on my night table and drink every time I wake. Fishing is tough, it's easy to forget to drink out there on the water in the wind.

Can't you hunt down there? I though there was deer, especially in the norther part of the state. Or is there too many native rednecks competing for the game? I bought a bow when I was 21, but never got to hunt, and now I'd not be allowed to cook it, the house is kosher (I'm not).  A new indoor bow range did open up here in JC, I might go.

Gell, there is certainly hunting here I just don’t hunt here as of yet. With that said some day I’ll hunt pigs. Definitely more of a private land style places here. The public land is available, just like up north well stepped. Honestly hunting and cold go together very well, here the heat I’m not a fan of to hunt in. I’d swear the deer will cook as you are dragging it. 

My wife and i are joining a indoor range this next weekend and besides the handgun idea of shooting, I’ll be able to shoot rifles up to 308 and shotguns with slugs. So I’ll hunt paper. I have a 243 that I’m itching to shoot, haven’t even mounted the scope yet. 

5 mins ago, saltfisherman said:

I have a 243 that I’m itching to shoot, haven’t even mounted the scope yet. 

Aaaaahhhh ... my first rifle at 14 was a BRNO .243, loved that thing, got my first buck on it as well.