fdhog

What Do You Spool Your Reels With

Rate this topic

58 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Always heard spiderwire was considered a premium line, so I'm a little surprised to see everyone on the board using PP. They both cost ~$25 (stealth vs spectra) for 300yd/20lb. Any reason everyone is using PP over spiderwire?

Edited by kyleeng

3 hours ago, Sheisty said:

It's cheap and it works. I picked up j braid, for my slammer 3 just to check out the line, and the color.

Are you answering my question or someone else's? On amazon, they're the same price.

20 hours ago, kyleeng said:

Any reason everyone is using PP over spiderwire?

I think it's trash and refuse to buy another spool of the garbage

2 spools of mystery break offs - I'm done with the stuff

Lots of better choices out there, not worth saving $2 or $3 a spool to risk another spool of PP with those weak little flat spots in the line.

I'm with sudsy pp let me down more than once wont go back. I've been using spiderwire invisibraid with no issues for a few years on several reels.

11 hours ago, kyleeng said:

Are you answering my question or someone else's? On amazon, they're the same price.

Not so much amazon or online, but it's almost guaranteed most shops carry pp in bulk spools, if you ask for braid it's what you will get, besides buying smaller sizes from off the shelf. Suffix 832 is said to be good, every time I've touched it, a zillion wind knots.

The three things you should never skimp on are hooks, swivels and line.

They're not that expensive, why use anything but the best ?

2 hours ago, Sudsy said:

The three things you should never skimp on are hooks, swivels and line.

They're not that expensive, why use anything but the best ?

Kast King is like half the price.

Not really convinced on much here, especially after that document.

What I am still interested about is the affect that COLOR of line has. Everyone knows fish can see braid. I've tried braid when trout fishing and it never works, it spooks em. But what about fish like fluke and stripers who are predators? Do they care about line color? Should we have different rods with different colors?

I sat there one day on a boat with my brother who caught nothing all day. He takes my backup rod with yellow KK braid, immediately starts to catch. Coincidence? Did the line matter? I'm not sure!

i buy the 1500yd china spools from fleabay. I've been using it for 5+ years with out any issues. It seems a little thicker than the real PP but it is strong.  I've had my Spheros 18000 spooled with the 100lb for years and have caught dozens of sharks and rays up to 10' without any failure.  It is not nearly as smooth as the other brands but to each their own!

On 1/18/2019 at 2:46 PM, Pad_Crasher said:

Not really convinced on much here, especially after that document.

What I am still interested about is the affect that COLOR of line has. Everyone knows fish can see braid. I've tried braid when trout fishing and it never works, it spooks em. But what about fish like fluke and stripers who are predators? Do they care about line color? Should we have different rods with different colors?

I sat there one day on a boat with my brother who caught nothing all day. He takes my backup rod with yellow KK braid, immediately starts to catch. Coincidence? Did the line matter? I'm not sure!

1. Thinner line by definition must be less visible due to less surface area to deflect/reflect or block light. Fireline Crystal would seem to me to be nearly invisible to fish in the lower pound test varieties, like 6 & 8lbs. 
  2. There are multiple purposes to using a leader, but visibility would seem to be an important one. 
  3. Finally, braid in any color doesn’t seem to stop people from catching fish. Superlines have been around for decades and catch rates most likely haven’t changed for the worse or people would stop using them. If anything, I’d bet good money that rates have increased. Besides, mono has always come in different colors too. 
  4. IMHO, choose a color that you can see even at night so you can judge things like distance, sink rate, where your offering ended up, sweep or current speed. Also, I used to use a swivel. Used to reel it through the tip guide at night. Took a marker, darker than the color of the braid, made a few dots spaced out starting a few feet above the swivel so I knew that I was reaching the end of the line. Doing this requires a lighter color braided line in order for the marks to be visible. For that reason, I used to use the bright yellow and chartreuse colored lines regularly