fdhog

What Do You Spool Your Reels With

Rate this topic

58 posts in this topic

On 11/16/2018 at 10:02 AM, Sudsy said:

Is it the exact same as the old stuff, or a little bit different ?

Best open beach long casting braid I ever used (not that I've used a lot of different brands)

On 11/16/2018 at 11:17 AM, Mr. Bigdeal said:

Good stuff and the coating stays on unlike the original...............it was brought back by request. Just a darker charcoal / black color like fireline, not the aqua marine like my old Ande Braid.

So it turns out the new stuff is different. It's marketed as Ande Spectra braid now

This is from an article in Feb 2016 in Sportfishing mag

Ande says its new Braid is a unique formulation that’s neither Spectra nor Dyneema. It’s an eight-strand, graphite-colored line that comes in pound-tests from 20 to 150. The 20-pound-test braid diameter equals that of 4-pound-test mono. Ande says Braid creates very little guide noise and is colorfast. Available in 300-, 600- and 3,000-meter spools, the line costs $39.99 to $300.

Slammer 3 4500: Power Pro 30 lb

VSX200: Power pro 50 lb.  This is my eeling around rocks/bridges set up but it admittedly gets used on the open beach.  Overkill, I know.

Is that Ande stuff really that good?  Kind of want to give it a whirl

My son was asking what he could get me for Christmas (I'm hard to buy for) 

Asked for a 600 yard spool of it, so I'll be giving it a go in the spring

20# fireline on my Spinfishers & "Penn Staals", JigMasters and squidders have various size Ande, the Fuego LT recently purchased will have  15# PP Spectra vermilion red

On 11/29/2018 at 0:45 PM, Sheisty said:

20# fireline on my Spinfishers & "Penn Staals", JigMasters and squidders have various size Ande, the Fuego LT recently purchased will have  15# PP Spectra vermilion red

That Ande would be Ande mono on the coventionals ?

On 12/1/2018 at 6:39 PM, whistlefish said:

That Ande would be Ande mono on the coventionals ?

Correct. Ande mono on the convetionals, 15# spectra braid on the bait caster, and 20# original fireline braid on all of the old school 7 series spinning reels.

1 hour ago, Sheisty said:

Correct. Ande mono on the convetionals, 15# spectra braid on the bait caster, and 20# original fireline braid on all of the old school 7 series spinning reels.

I really like the 10 & 14 lbs fireline and fireline crystal. I haven’t tried 20.

Sheisty, 

It’s not too wiry? Does it break in and get more manageable? I don’t have a 7 series Penn but I have an older spinfisher V 6500 BLS. It doesn’t lay line the best - kind of hourglass shaped. I’m using 14 on there and I was thinking of using 20 if And when the 14 dies out. 

1 hour ago, EricDice said:

I really like the 10 & 14 lbs fireline and fireline crystal. I haven’t tried 20.

Sheisty, 

It’s not too wiry? Does it break in and get more manageable? I don’t have a 7 series Penn but I have an older spinfisher V 6500 BLS. It doesn’t lay line the best - kind of hourglass shaped. I’m using 14 on there and I was thinking of using 20 if And when the 14 dies out. 

Very manageable and most commonly suggested line for old penn spinners. When you have line lay issues, the line usually is not the issue, the teflon washer the spool sits on is usually the culprit.

I’m putting suffix 832 on everything. I’ve tried many braids and prefer 832 esp on newer stuff. From steelhead to striper. I do fish mono on the centerpin tho

On 11/13/2018 at 3:04 PM, fdhog said:

What do you use on your plugging reels? Weight/Color and brand. 

All 30# Suffix 832 Lime Green except VSX 200 with 40# on my 10.5 stick

Super slick 8 #30 aqua 11ft odm nex1 4-8oz

PP Green 20lb-50lb depending on the reel and what I'm doing (Freshwater panfish up to Stripers and Blues).

Fluorocarbon leader on each one.

Been using the same braid on my reels for years with no breaks.

On 11/13/2018 at 7:03 PM, Sudsy said:

I spool them with the wife

5beb663f9b1c6_WifeLinespooler.jpeg.9244fc79cb662438fa39fdc3a13d3f5d.jpeg

Last time I asked my wife to help do anything with my fishing gear, her reponse was "Don't you have a girlfriend for this s@*t??"