Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianBM

"7" outboard engines

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

HCByachts has a new supersized CC, a 65' hull. The site shows five, count'em, five of the 7 OBs across the transom.

 

Has anyone got any experience of those engines?  I think they're marinized Cadillac powerheads. I suspect they have a short service life, and are mainly of interest to the go-fast-any-any-price crowd. 

 

But, I'm curious.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never understood the appeal of the big CC's. I haven't fished offshore in years, but if I'm heading to blue water I want twin screw diesels and a bridge. I can't imagine fighting big tuna or billfish with outboards.

This would be my choice for 65' class

Scarborough

scarborough-boatworks-cracker-8.jpg.d982c9449e2cb9769e0cd26aaa241593.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tons of info on the Hull Truth site about the 7's.  Head over there and do some searching.

 

Yes, a GM Caddy engine.  

 

Around $80,000 each.  Maybe more.

 

Volvo owns 7 now.    Hmm.   

 

For the Dubai crowd!   I cannot imagine having 5 of the heavy 7's hanging off a transom.

 

For that amount of $$, I agree with slow roller.   Give me a real boat with diesel inboards.    A clean transom is the cat's meow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 mins ago, slowroller said:

I've never understood the appeal of the big CC's. I haven't fished offshore in years, but if I'm heading to blue water I want twin screw diesels and a bridge. I can't imagine fighting big tuna or billfish with outboards.

This would be my choice for 65' class

Scarborough

scarborough-boatworks-cracker-8.jpg.d982c9449e2cb9769e0cd26aaa241593.jpg

 

have you been on many big cc's?

 

cheaper initial pruchase price, cheaper to maintain, faster, easier to operate, I can go on and on. 

those big sportfishes are beautiful dont get me wrong, but give me one of the new 37'+ center consoles all day long. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 mins ago, slowroller said:

I've never understood the appeal of the big CC's. I haven't fished offshore in years, but if I'm heading to blue water I want twin screw diesels and a bridge. I can't imagine fighting big tuna or billfish with outboards.

This would be my choice for 65' class

Scarborough

scarborough-boatworks-cracker-8.jpg.d982c9449e2cb9769e0cd26aaa241593.jpg

 

very nice?  Have to sell a lot of Tuna to pay for that boat?  Catch a lot,  just for the monthly payment.    I think you need to win the lottery?

My sons friend would go to the bank in an old 23 CC Mako?  And would catch them.

Edited by ccb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ccb said:

very nice?  Have to sell a lot of Tuna to pay for that boat?  Catch a lot,  just for the monthly payment.    I think you need to win the lottery?

exactly. for the hardcore fisherman i think most will say keep the sportfish and give them a 37'+ boat all day every day. I went 25 miles out on a swordfish charter in honest 6ft seas with occasional 8's and we did it on a center console catamaran. We wouldve cancelled if we did that trip in a mono hull sportfisher

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MikedNJ said:

have you been on many big cc's?

 

cheaper initial pruchase price, cheaper to maintain, faster, easier to operate, I can go on and on. 

those big sportfishes are beautiful dont get me wrong, but give me one of the new 37'+ center consoles all day long. 

Totally get those points, I retired from the offshore game years ago, so haven't been on the newer cc's. I think 35' and under they make sense, but at 60'+  money isn't going to be an issue for that buyer, so might as well go for comfort and diesel displacement. Those boats will still run 40 knots. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 mins ago, slowroller said:

Totally get those points, I retired from the offshore game years ago, so haven't been on the newer cc's. I think 35' and under they make sense, but at 60'+  money isn't going to be an issue for that buyer, so might as well go for comfort and diesel displacement. Those boats will still run 40 knots. 

There’s not to many 60+ CC. Give me a 34 regulator or 37 freeman 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MikedNJ said:

There’s not to many 60+ CC. Give me a 34 regulator or 37 freeman 

Both of those hulls are pretty gorgeous fishing machines, no doubt about that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The best argument for a huge CC, assuming you're actually buying it to fish, is the ability to go forward and cast. Plenty of space for a bow live well; plenty of space to walk a fish around the boat and, if the the helmsman is paying attention, keeping it out of the screws. 

 

How many people would go fast 80+ offshore to cast to fish? How many people want to go to Bermuda or the Dry Tortugas and cast?  Not too many. 

 

I will admit I like the idea of a 65' CC better, if it has inboards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm with Mike I would take a big center console over a sportfish without a doubt. CC's are much more fishable and I believe more versatile. Yellowfin would be my first choice followed by Contender.

 

As for the Seven's, I'm sure they are a great motor but I would stick with a more mainstream manufacturer in a smaller HP rating.

 

Unfortunately, I will never have to make these choices. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are several manufacturers that have big CC's with cuddys forward of the console. With 7's in the market I believe that is why Yamaha came out with their 425 hp V8's. As many as you want at $44,000 ea.

yam v8s.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/13/2018 at 4:22 PM, MikedNJ said:

There’s not to many 60+ CC. Give me a 34 regulator or 37 freeman 

Man, I have been searching.  Both of these are on the list.  Have to take a ride in a 35' Contender and a 36 Yellowfin first though.  They are my pipe dreams.  If either of the ones you mention are better the YF or Contender, then it's back to the drawing board....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.