mrl

Gun control question

Rate this topic

276 posts in this topic

Serious question here- I'd prefer that trolls stick to another thread.

OK- let's say for the moment that the only reason that mass shooting happen is because of mentally ill/deranged/whatever people who are doing the shooting. 

Given that, along with the extreme difficult in declaring someone mentally ill, particularly when they aren't actively looking for treatment, would you be in favor of one of the "red flag" laws that temporarily remove guns from people judged to be at risk to themselves or others?

If not, 2 follow-up questions

1) why not?

2) what's *your* suggestion for keeping guns out of the hands of those who shouldn't have them?

Serious reply.  I don't have an issue with red flag laws in theory, although there is a risk of them being abused. .  Bigger issue, is from what I'm seeing they don't work/aren't enforced. Why not?  Last 2 notable mass shootings were both mentally ill people in red flag law states .  if I read it correctly, the guy in California shot into the wall of his mother's home in april, barricaded himself inside, and mental health and police and family didn't initiate  red flag?

2) Enforce the laws already on the books.  Most of the "mass shootings"(bloomberg's list) are crime related, not mental illness. many of the preps have extensive criminal records

Edited by jkrock

1 NO

2)There are laws in place currently, we need no more, we need corrupt police to enforce current law.

3)If there is a nutballl in your family, take responsibility for the situation yourself.  That would be best.

19 mins ago, mrl said:

Serious question here- I'd prefer that trolls stick to another thread.

OK- let's say for the moment that the only reason that mass shooting happen is because of mentally ill/deranged/whatever people who are doing the shooting. 

Given that, along with the extreme difficult in declaring someone mentally ill, particularly when they aren't actively looking for treatment, would you be in favor of one of the "red flag" laws that temporarily remove guns from people judged to be at risk to themselves or others?

If not, 2 follow-up questions

1) why not?

2) what's *your* suggestion for keeping guns out of the hands of those who shouldn't have them?

How about some regular drug screening for those who want firearms ?

lol

11 mins ago, JohnP said:

How about some regular drug screening for those who want firearms ?

lol

Who pays for that. (/insert random lol here)

2 mins ago, saltydawg said:

I can’t believe how flippant so many people are when it comes to denying other people their rights

could you imagine if our government decided people who were mentally ill could not vote

Red flag law, such as the one passed in MA are a huge overreach, which now puts the onus on the accused to prove innocence all on the simple word of whomever threw the flag on them. It's bull**** and dangerous. 

It's why we can't trust or work with the Left.

Red Flag laws will not stand the scrutiny of the SC. They are a Civil Rights Violation. 

In time someone  with standing and convictions will take it all the way to the SC and that someone will be victorious. 

Give it time.... 

Edited by J