Billybob

Tails & lies & 57 y.o. tanks

Rate this topic

49 posts in this topic

Vinny, my FIL has an old oil tank at his house. We know it's old because the sludge blinds the filter pretty quickly and it's really rusty.

We knew we had to get a new one, but were kinda hoping that we could wait until Will converted to gas.

How old could that tank be, Vinny says it's the original and the house was built in early 60's - can that be true?

It's not leaking, yet - but we really got to get to it.

Well, last week he got a drop - 150 gals.

Still not leaking, but you could see the wetness on the outside of the tank, kinda weeping if you will.

We better get to this, huh?

1 min ago, Billybob said:

Vinny, my FIL has an old oil tank at his house. We know it's old because the sludge blinds the filter pretty quickly and it's really rusty.

We knew we had to get a new one, but were kinda hoping that we could wait until Will converted to gas.

How old could that tank be, Vinny says it's the original and the house was built in early 60's - can that be true?

Still not leaking, but you could see the wetness on the outside of the tank, kinda weeping if you will.

Get on it ASAP. If he's converting to gas, you can usually sell the oil to the guy pumping it out and removing the tank. I've also seen people offering the oil for sale on craigslist (not sure on the legalities of that). If you're just replacing the tank, the oil can be filtered and pumped into the new tank. Been there and done it before. 

4 mins ago, Billybob said:

Either get to it, or buy a pallet or two of Oil Dry.

I'm assuming it's above-ground, yes? 

How long has it been since they were allowed to put oil tanks in the ground? Is that pre-WWII? Or more recent? 

Mitigation is cheaper than a tank....keep her rolling.

I removed an in-ground tank from my old house that was 60+ years old.  Nervous as all hell, guys doing the job said I'll be fine b/c of big pines around the tank keeping things dry.  I was lucky.

It's a 275 in the garage of his ranch style home - and yup circa 1961, right on the tag - amazing a tank would last that long.

So I tell Greg, we gotta do this, and do it now or we'll have a real mess if it lets go.

They got a 330 at his shop that is a year old, and they converted to gas that he could get on the cheap, but it has 60 gals in it, that's probably 750 lbs, and it's piped in, so moving it full, or draining it would be a pia.

We could get a new one from the supply house for $600, and they will drop it in the driveway, all we gotta do is hook it up and transfer the oil into it.

Or, we could go Craigslist - that could also be a pia.

I say go new - I'll pay for it - what do you think, Greg?  

Get rid of it ASAP, you do not want to deal with an oil spill of 150 gal or anything over about 10, gal, no joke, this happened to us in a house, state person,insurance, etc, goes on and on, insurance covered most of it but no guarantee there either unless special coverage

6 mins ago, makorider said:

Mitigation is cheaper than a tank....keep her rolling.

I removed an in-ground tank from my old house that was 60+ years old.  Nervous as all hell, guys doing the job said I'll be fine b/c of big pines around the tank keeping things dry.  I was lucky.

I removed a big inground from my yard many years ago too, dug it up by hand and pulled it out with an engine hoist.

Cut it up with a sawzall so nobody would know. 

3 mins ago, Billybob said:

Ummm....is 'Greg' in the room with us right now? Can you see him? :scared:

4 mins ago, Billybob said:

$600, and pump the oil out of the old tank?

That's a no-brainer, ain't it?

3 mins ago, Billybob said:

I removed a big inground from my yard many years ago too, dug it up by hand and pulled it out with an engine hoist.

Cut it up with a sawzall so nobody would know. 

Once it's cut up and cleaned out, it can be disposed of at a metal recycling facility. That's what was done with mine.