Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gilbey

Car Batteries

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

I'm having some trouble finding a replacement battery for my car. It's not the most common model, so I have had to call 4 different dealerships to find the exact battery I need. The guy at my local auto parts store who is always super helpful told me I really should get the exact battery rather than an off brand replacement. It seems crazy.

I understand the basics of volts and amps. But how on earth can car batteries vary so much and be so specific to a vehicle? Is this real stuff? Or is it a car manufacturer playing games? 

What gives??

Alan 

Are you sure that you have a battery issue? alternator or battery cable problem? corrosion at the battery post?

As long as the new battery meets the CCA cold cranking amps required by your car you should be good to go.

I would recommend Interstate batteries.

Car and truck designs have really limited the amount of "real estate" for batteries might be part of the problem, but you should be able to order just about anything now a days from places like Pepboys, maybe sears etc

Did your parts guy offer any explanation?   I buy same group  and never had problems although my parts guy told me to boost the amps from 650 (original) to 850 for F150 which was good 

Car is a 2015.5 Volvo V60 R Type.

The local parts guy suggested if I wanted to buy a replacement battery from him he would sell me one in the same group as suggested above. I do like this guy. He's always upfront and honest and freely offers guidance and advice. 

I am more grousing here than looking for a solution. I found the battery and will go pick it up at lunch today. I was more looking for validation......are car batteries that different? Can they be that specific to the exact vehicle? Or is it just car manufacturer shenanigans?  

Looks vehicle specific to me to be honest. Battery requirements go beyond group and size which I haven’t had to deal with yet.  Vented outside the vehicle was a clue that I don’t know squat about it.  

Yeah, I changed a battery in an audi this year and it was in a little housing underneath the spare tire in the trunk. The replacement need to fit in there to get it all back together. 

I will say though it was the cleanest battery change I ever did.

It is specific. Volvos use a group 48 battery (Euro). I'd go with highest CCA they have to offer. I have a 5 year old Optima. By mistake I've left the interior lights on over night many times and starts without any hesitation, even in the winter.

Edited by illrepute
grammar

Post styles, orientation of posts, case dimensions are pretty much grouped. Your just making sure it drops in like the old one. I try to use johnson controls. I would use the local parts guy not the dealer.

My last 2009 Santa Fa 3.3 eng  it needed a battery called  Aut- Zone store, were l worked we had an account with them, called them they delivered, it was the  wrong battery  they say its right according to the book turns out book is wrong, he gave me the his battery Dimension, not close

+ terminals in wrong place,

Today this is the way l buy a battery's, l cut out the guy behind the counter, measure the one l have make sure terminals are in the right place pick the CCA  l need and your done.

12 hours ago, illrepute said:

It is specific. Volvos use a group 48 battery (Euro). I'd go with highest CCA they have to offer. I have a 5 year old Optima. By mistake I've left the interior lights on over night many times and starts without any hesitation, even in the winter.

CCA for battery I saw for this car was 850, more than original for a Ford 5.4.   Apparently with all the technology for stop/ start etc it needs serious juice

New battery is installed. My wallet is considerably lighter :o . But all is well. I did go with the factory battery. The car is still under warranty, and my biggest concern was if I put an aftermarket battery in the car it might void some of the coverage. Anyway, at least I can park at the airport this weekend and be reasonably sure the car will start after sitting for 5 days. 

On 11/14/2018 at 11:53 AM, Gilbey said:

New battery is installed. My wallet is considerably lighter :o . But all is well. I did go with the factory battery. The car is still under warranty, and my biggest concern was if I put an aftermarket battery in the car it might void some of the coverage. Anyway, at least I can park at the airport this weekend and be reasonably sure the car will start after sitting for 5 days. 

Just for giggles, how much lighter, more than $225?