Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
biggstriper

Hunt Reports

Rate this topic

43 posts in this topic

Post yer hunts here!

Tonight it was very cold (teens) and there was a strong NW wind so I hesitated for a bit but decided to go out anyway. 

I get to a spot where I should see at least one meat doe. I take along the 6.5 Creedmoor to break it in with a deer. Everything's going nicely (or so I thought) and as I get ready to take the gun out of the case I realize I didn't bring any ammo...

I decided to sit in the spot anyway to see what would happen (maybe I'd see a monster buck and then I would really kick myself). I take the route in a cornfield where any deer in the wood line would see me and sure enough I see a white tail bobbing off back into the woods. I take a seat with my back to the brush line. Right after sundown a doe and her fawn come walking out right where I'd get a perfect shot. 

I'll be back there tomorrow night (I'm on a mission).

Got back to the spot late. As soon as I got settled a nice doe comes out with 2 fawns on top of a saddle across and to the side of the field. I should've let them go down to the field without moving but I looked at them through the scope. She saw me move and went down the other side of the saddle. Nothing else showed up but a small fawn was running around real fast going in and out of the woods. Maybe it was looking for its mother. The other deer were still on the other side of the saddle when I left. 

Looking forward to tomorrow night.

Took my nephew to the spot tonight. He's a freakin' airhead and slams the truck door when we get there. I yell at his stupid a$$. 

We sit out for an hour but I think the wind was coming from behind us a little too much. It might've been his clothes that probably were washed in regular detergent so I'm going to make him wear some of my stuff tomorrow night. 

Sat 7 hours on Monday, passed up a shot at a doe.  I sat for 4 hours yesterday AM  Nada.  Sat for 4 again this AM.  Still bow season only here.  Spike buck walked past about 40 yards away in the thick stuff,.  Never offered a shot.

On 11/13/2018 at 9:52 PM, biggstriper said:

Got back to the spot late. As soon as I got settled a nice doe comes out with 2 fawns on top of a saddle across and to the side of the field. I should've let them go down to the field without moving but I looked at them through the scope. She saw me move and went down the other side of the saddle. Nothing else showed up but a small fawn was running around real fast going in and out of the woods. Maybe it was looking for its mother. The other deer were still on the other side of the saddle when I left. 

Looking forward to tomorrow night.

Went to take the trash out last night. I heard a doe or fawn bleating loudly. 

I will check my cams this weekend. 

Maybe young are being pushed out?

1 hour ago, Kml said:

Nice work Gad.

Does your dog like fetching them birds.

She's 50/50 on woodcock a little better each trip.... a kinder, gentler, yet formal, force fetch training will begin after the season- I'd like to run her in NAVHDA's Utility test next year.

:v:

4 mins ago, gadwall8 said:

She's 50/50 on woodcock a little better each trip.... a kinder, gentler, yet formal, force fetch training will begin after the season- I'd like to run her in NAVHDA's Utility test next year.

Have you ever run her in a Natural Ability test?

I got up at 4:30 this AM to go sit in a tree for a few hours before work.  2 inches of slush, heavy rain, and sustained winds of 44MPH with gusts to 54 made the cool side of the pillow seem like the smart decision, so I didn't go today.

44 mins ago, Bass Ackwards said:

That's really good considering she isn't a Shorthair. :lg_smile:

Only ONE Braque d'Auvergne has ever taken on the Utility test. My friend in Quebec and his bitch earned a Prize 1 this year after some bad luck last year. I think he's going to the Invitational next year.

47 mins ago, gadwall8 said:

Only ONE Braque d'Auvergne has ever taken on the Utility test. My friend in Quebec and his bitch earned a Prize 1 this year after some bad luck last year. I think he's going to the Invitational next year.

A dog that can qualify in the International is a hell of a dog. As you know I despise NAVHDA the orginization but believe whole heartidly with the idea and principles of NAVHDA.