EricDice

Mackerel pattern for stripers in NJ?

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I have read that the mackerel pattern kills some bass up in the CCC at certain times. My question is, does anyone use a mack pattern successfully (for stripers) from shore in NJ? I haven’t seen baitfish that look like this in my experiences but then there’s a lot I haven’t seen so that’s why I’m asking you!

I cant remember if I bought this one or it was a gift from the wife & kids. It’s a rapala x rap in the size above a standard SP minnow. I was thinking about spray painting it something solid in a light or dark color but I’ll wait to see what you guys think. Thanks!

1B1FFC00-AE71-4D10-9B7D-0C4607A457D9.jpeg

Posted (edited) · Report post

i use the blue and green mack sp in nj and i have used mack colored pencils. I also like to use a beach master mack  jr A40.

Edited by crazybellringer

Some black stripes on the back of a plug aren't going to make it any more or less effective if the fish are there and on the feed. Had a 30 fish night a few falls ago on a mackerel color bomber, it was late November and there were no mackerel in sight.

When picking a plug, first thing I take into consideration is presentation.  Can I present this plug properly in these conditions?  Take the plugs that won't swim correctly out of the equation.

Next is profile.  Which plug "matches the hatch"?  This isn't always pertinent, as I've caught fish on large profile plugs when only rain bait is around, but it's worth taking it into consideration.

Last is color.  Maybe I'll go bright if water clarity is an issue.  Maybe I'll go dark on super dark nights. 

No hard set rules, as sometimes the general rules of thumb get thrown completely out the window and you catch fish on a totally dark night with a large bright orange plug when the fish are on rainbait.  Good luck figuring out an exact rule of thumb for every situation.  

Long story short, that mack pattern will work just fine!