strike master

Favorite chain pickerel lures

53 posts in this topic

Not about numbers but the largest FIVE Chain Pickerel as well as LMB of my life have all come while muskie fishing over the last 8 years.  Everyone may not agree but big baits equal big fish IMO.  I've got 7 pickerel between 24" and 27" all on 8"-10" muskie baits over the last 3-4 years.  Just caught this one on a 10" twitch/jerk bait on Tuesday. Not sure how this guy was going to digest this...Hungry buggers :p

And of course all of these are caught in cold water 35-45 degree water surface temps. 

IMG_2617.jpg

IMG_2615.jpg

Edited by Mike D

Bobby Garland scent wigglr and Lake Fork Baby shad in one of the chartreuse colors.

I fish them on a 1/16th oz jig head.

During winter months i love to fish for crappie and panfish, it is not uncommon to have a bycatch of pickerel. I have found that these particular plastics seem to attract them WAY more than my other crappie shads and grubs. The past few years i have started to target pickerel specifically and have found that, in my waters, also out produce spoons, spinners and larger soft plastics.

MikeD-I'm in the philly burbs too. Any wadeable waters around to find these guys? I haven't done a ton of freshwater. Fishing locally butbwould love to target them in the colder months. Would really like to toss flies  for them.

On 11/24/2018 at 8:32 AM, Mike D said:

Not about numbers but the largest FIVE Chain Pickerel as well as LMB of my life have all come while muskie fishing over the last 8 years.  Everyone may not agree but big baits equal big fish IMO.  I've got 7 pickerel between 24" and 27" all on 8"-10" muskie baits over the last 3-4 years.  Just caught this one on a 10" twitch/jerk bait on Tuesday. Not sure how this guy was going to digest this...Hungry buggers :p

And of course all of these are caught in cold water 35-45 degree water surface temps. 

IMG_2617.jpg

IMG_2615.jpg

Great yellow perch imitation. I'm sure the big pickerel make yellow perch a big part of their diet.

On 11/29/2018 at 11:45 PM, laxcoach1 said:

MikeD-I'm in the philly burbs too. Any wadeable waters around to find these guys? I haven't done a ton of freshwater. Fishing locally butbwould love to target them in the colder months. Would really like to toss flies  for them.

I’m in south jersey about  half an hour from Philadelphia. There’s a few places around here with loads of pickerel if you don’t mind the drive

I've caught them on a bunch of baits.  Be it live or artificial.  I've found them down fairly deep trolling for trout. Aggressive buggers that are fun to catch when they get 24"+.  I've caught 2 right around 28".  One hit a muskie bucktail in 15-20mph winds and the other swallowed a shiner outside a weed bed.  The weed bed fish was more fun on regular tackle.