strike master

Favorite chain pickerel lures

45 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

With the cold weather settling  here in NJ, the pickerel are getting active, big ones too. For me when i'm fishing a bigger lake and need to 

cover lots of water I like to throw a Johnson Silver minnow with a curly tail grub attached. For smaller bodies of water I like to throw a

zoom super fluke rigged weightless. I also got my eyes on a lure called the krocodile spoon but i'm not sure what size I should get.

Bundling up and wading through shallow weeds for these toothy critters helps get rid of the cabin fever.

Edited by strike master

Fluke! Also small chatterbaits with a curly tail trailer. Inline spinnerbaits in appropriate sizes are another good option. 

If youre really hard up for a slime dart, go buy a few expensive jerkbaits. The more expensive, the better. Pickerel love them....

Anything with a single hook. Hard enough to get a handle on them without a faceful of hooks. Here’s one from a few weeks ago. Sunfish swim bait. This guy could use a couple solid meals. I’d also add that, like perch, big pics prefer cool water. If you are getting hammer handles, go deeper. 

BAD4B569-ED2F-44A8-82B7-83FBA8F881A4.jpeg

1 min ago, richs said:

Anything with a single hook. Hard enough to get a handle on them without a faceful of hooks. Here’s one from a few weeks ago. Sunfish swim bait. This guy could use a couple solid meals. I’d also add that, like perch, big pics prefer cool water. If you are getting hammer handles, go deeper. 

BAD4B569-ED2F-44A8-82B7-83FBA8F881A4.jpeg

Nice fish, I only use lures with single hooks as well for these fish besides rooster tails, I crush the barbs on the hooks for a quick release.

These fish are aggressive but fragile at the same time. I try to wet my hands before handling them or just unhook

them in the water. 

Favorite lure from pickerel point of view: shinny expensive Japanese lures, tungsten weight, etc.  Especially effective are discontinued or limited edition lures.

Favorite lure from my point of view: chartreuse spinner bait and buzzbait. Single hook with a built in handle.

5 hours ago, hobobob said:

Favorite lure from pickerel point of view: shinny expensive Japanese lures, tungsten weight, etc.  Especially effective are discontinued or limited edition lures.

Favorite lure from my point of view: chartreuse spinner bait and buzzbait. Single hook with a built in handle.

Yup, I was going to post exactly that.  Whatever lure you don’t want to loss, whether it’s some fancy $25 Megabass lure or just one you don’t want to loose.  That’s the one that’ll be the most attractive to them.

For me my go to two are the Kroc (gold or silver depending on the weather), and a Black Fury (Mepps) if you can still find them.  Second to those are Yamamoto worms either purple or baby bass colors.  My 2 cents.

On 11/12/2018 at 10:42 PM, strike master said:

With the cold weather settling  here in NJ, the pickerel are getting active, big ones too. For me when i'm fishing a bigger lake and need to 

cover lots of water I like to throw a Johnson Silver minnow with a curly tail grub attached. For smaller bodies of water I like to throw a

zoom super fluke rigged weightless. I also got my eyes on a lure called the krocodile spoon but i'm not sure what size I should get.

Bundling up and wading through shallow weeds for these toothy critters helps get rid of the cabin fever.

I don’t target them,but every time I catch one while bass fishing I have a spinnerbait tied on.