Southcoastphil

(PIN) We need your help for the 2018 SOL Christmas Family Auction!

Rate this topic

48 posts in this topic

You all rocked it in 2017, so we're asking for your support to help more deserving families this year.

Last year we helped four deserving families (our modest goal was one family, which we clearly exceeded) to have unexpectedly GREAT Christmas mornings thanks to the support from all of you in the SOL community in terms of both donations and bidding.

Every cent we raised went directly to these families, thanks to the hundreds of hours of behind the scenes work donated by our members. In addition to gifts of toys and clothing for children suffering from cancer and other serious illnesses, we paid off some overdue utilities bills and brought food and grocery store gift cards, all of which were delivered in person by our SOL Santas.  

One of my fellow SOL Elves just informed me that “One of last year's families reached out to me today thanking SOL again for all that was done and to report that Sammy just had more scans done and as of right now is cancer free.”

(Kinda makes getting skunked seem not all that important, doesn’t it?)

WHAT (can you donate?):
We welcome donations of anything related to fishing for any saltwater or freshwater species, hunting-related equipment and more:

• Plugs, jigs, tins, and other lures 
  • Flies for all types of saltwater and freshwater uses
  • Books on topics that included Striped Bass Fishing (with plugs, live bait and flies), Salt- and Fresh-water fishing of all kinds, Anthologies related to fishing and hunting, and even game and fish cookbooks
  • Guided trips for various species 
  • Lessons of various types (I know that I can use some surf-casting lessons!)
  • Rods, reels and line of all types
  • Knives for fishing, hunting or cooking
  • Tools like pliers, headlights/flashlights, hook disgorgers, etc.

HOW (it works):
Here’s how you donate, and what happens next:

• Donors send photos and descriptions of the items that they donate to the following folks via PM (If you’ll kindly put “SOL CFA Donation” at the beginning of your subject line, we will appreciate it):
    • Southcoastphil
    • MikeMc
    • mrs biggene
  • We will post your lot in the SOL Christmas Family Auction forum for bidding.  (We post lots with low initial minimum bids to allow more folks to participate, so it’s not a reflection of the value of what you’ve donated.  If past auctions are any indication, prices get bid up very quickly!)
  • Once the winning bidder has paid for the lot, we will notify you of the winner’s name and address, for you to ship directly to the winner.
    • Most donors ship their donations at their expense, but we can reimburse you via PayPal for shipping fees if needed.
  • Cash donations can be made via PayPal to:  donations@stripersonline.com 

WHO (we're helping this year):

Hard-working folks who can’t catch a break.

Based on your past support, we plan to help TWO families this year.  (And more, if you’ll help us to do so.)  

In no particular order, we’ve identified two families who clearly fit:

An SOL Elf (Hey, Elves don’t just work in November and December!) recently “…gifted a power bill payment to turn the power back on for one of the hardest working guys I know so that his kids weren't without power... “

He works 15-hour days.  He's always looking for a night job or side work (he is a mechanic) while trying to work hard to better himself.  Recently got his captain's license and is literally gray haired at 30 trying to work enough to stay afloat.  Solid guy. Would give you the shirt off his back.  His wife works while the kids are in school. They have four young kids.  He's stressing about the holidays hard. 

And he's a fisherman.   

The other is a family of 5:  Mom and Dad with 3 children in 2nd and 3rd grade.  They presently live in a one room motel with two beds.  A few locals have stepped up to the plate to provide an air mattress and bedding so they take turns sleeping on the floor.  We've collected donations to provide laundry mat provisions and supermarket cards.  We have also given clothes and Uber gift cards since they do not have transportation.  They live in the motel where dad can catch a ride to work.  Food stamps run out in the third week of the month so a few local elves have been providing breakfast, snacks and dinners.  They are trying to get an apartment or other better housing. I think they are family that is trying and just can't catch a break.  I do know that the three kiddos are sweet and appreciative of every little thing.  

In keeping with this year’s theme we’ve identified other families who are going through rough times but getting up every day and giving it their best shots.  (Whether we can help them or not is up to you.)

I would like to donate two (2) schools of 10 each teasers. I will post pics in the next day or so. Thank you for the privilege of being able to help!

49 mins ago, mtl50 said:

I would like to donate two (2) schools of 10 each teasers. I will post pics in the next day or so. Thank you for the privilege of being able to help!

Thank you very much, from all of us.

I look forward to your PM.

3 mins ago, VanStaalSteve said:

Phil, I’ll donate six , 9” black Slug-gos that I rigged with two 7/0 Gamakastu Octopus hooks and weighted with four Lunker city insert weights (3/32 oz.). 

Steve, that's more than I could have hoped for from you.

MANY THANKS from all of us.

(Note to bidders:  These won't go quietly.  Jus' sayin')

10 mins ago, Southcoastphil said:

Steve, that's more than I could have hoped for from you.

MANY THANKS from all of us.

(Note to bidders:  These won't go quietly.  Jus' sayin')

My pleasure Phil

Love the Christmas auctions! I picked up some killer plugs here last year. This year I'd like to add to the auctions. Earlier this year I started tying my own bucktails, dressed siwash hooks, and flags. Hopefully I'll have some time to put a lot together and get them on here.

5 mins ago, chitala383 said:

Love the Christmas auctions! I picked up some killer plugs here last year. This year I'd like to add to the auctions. Earlier this year I started tying my own bucktails, dressed siwash hooks, and flags. Hopefully I'll have some time to put a lot together and get them on here.

That's great!  Thanks from all of us for helping out.

(I need some flags!) 

Here's a link to FAQs:

I have a Browning 5 wgt.Fly Rod , brand new with hard tube case, ex, cond.  worth about $65-70 , great starter rod.  Is this worthy  for auction ?

Proly cost me $25-30 just to ship LOL !! its  all good though.

Hey Steve.

Good to hear from you mate!

Yes it ABSOLUTELY is!  And you bring up a great point.

Most potential donors don't realize that we can readily limit a given auction to what I will call "Local meet-up only within X miles of <city name>" or something similar to that, which you, the donor, get to define.

Case in point:

Last year one of my friends donated a killer rod with a fin-nor reel.  (I'm still ticked at myself for not winning that bid!) 

The winner was not from the immediate Cape area, so I met up with him at a Ditch Trolls breakfast (four months later!) to bring it to him.

We are open to any ideas that you have, so feel free to call me to discuss, OK?

21 mins ago, Southcoastphil said:

We are open to any ideas that you have, so feel free to call me to discuss, OK?

So what I'm thinking is this, I have that Browning 5 wgt. fly rod with hard tube case and sock , total worth proly $90-100. If some one is interested lets let the bid start at $20 I'll pay for direct shipping to that person so the auction doesn't lose a dime.  Unfortunately the rod is in storage across county from me. I can proly pick it up this weekend.