R.R. Bridge Fisher

Ithaca deerslayer

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Took my 12 gauge pump out for some shots to test the scope.

I had 2 shells get jammed and when i took them out they looked like this. I bought this gun new and never had any issues in over 20 years.

Any ideas?

I cleaned and lubed and it cycles fine but now in the back of my mind its got this issue....

Plus it smells for deer season    :banghd:

20181112_182046.jpg

Is that the same ammo you usually shoot? I've heard of people having similar issues with cheap steel shells, but those look like brass?

I've got 2 model 37's. Only issue I've ever had is if you don't fully eject the shell it's possible to jam it up with a new one coming out of the magazine. 

1 hour ago, Eagles Dare said:

Is that the same ammo you usually shoot? I've heard of people having similar issues with cheap steel shells, but those look like brass?

I've got 2 model 37's. Only issue I've ever had is if you don't fully eject the shell it's possible to jam it up with a new one coming out of the magazine. 

Same ammo,model 87 deerslayer

57 mins ago, Bass Ackwards said:

Were those shells jamming the gun before being fired or after, those shells don't look shot?

Before fired,jammed on the way in the chamber

I'm no expert but it sounds to me like it's the ammo and not the gun. Just a guess on my part without knowing really much, I think your ammo may have been exposed to moisture and swelled . Again it's just a guess on my part.

2 mins ago, Bass Ackwards said:

I'm no expert but it sounds to me like it's the ammo and not the gun. Just a guess on my part without knowing really much, I think your ammo may have been exposed to moisture and swelled . Again it's just a guess on my part.

It is old

On 11/12/2018 at 8:07 PM, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

It is old

It's not the ammo. That was caused by something that contacted the rim of the brass on that shell. It most likely happened when the shell was moving forward during the loading process. Check your feed ramp. Also look around that area for a snag. 

2 hours ago, night owl said:

It's not the ammo. That was caused by something that contacted the rim of the brass on that shell. It most likely happened when the shell was moving forward during the loading process. Check your feed ramp. Also look around that area for a snag. 

I inspected and cleaned. I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.

I will cycle some ammo thru again to test this out.

Thanks

The ammo seems to cycle in and out fine. I will still take it to get it stripped down and an ultrasonic cleaning after the season.maybe some trigger work too.

What should i do with those 2 shells that the brass got damaged ?

On November 18, 2018 at 9:45 PM, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

The ammo seems to cycle in and out fine. I will still take it to get it stripped down and an ultrasonic cleaning after the season.maybe some trigger work too.

What should i do with those 2 shells that the brass got damaged ?

Garbage!  I wouldn't risk shooting them, especially out of your Ithaca. 

2 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I would not shoot them but not sure how to scrap them safely. 

Take a sharp knife and cut into the shell where the shot is. Shot will go all over so make sure you have something under it to collect it. Then pull what's left of the plastic wad out and the powder will be behind it, just pour it out. Powder does NOT explode, it just burns so if you want put small amounts in an ashtray and ignite. I did that once in college in speech class giving a talk on reloading, that got peoples attention.:D

7 hours ago, Bass Ackwards said:

Take a sharp knife and cut into the shell where the shot is. Shot will go all over so make sure you have something under it to collect it. Then pull what's left of the plastic wad out and the powder will be behind it, just pour it out. Powder does NOT explode, it just burns so if you want put small amounts in an ashtray and ignite. I did that once in college in speech class giving a talk on reloading, that got peoples attention.:D

I was thinking of doing that but was unsure. I will dispose of these Two rounds.