D1fishr

Hunting GPS

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

Self explanatory title- looking for a supplement to a map, 3 compasses, and 22 years experience. I just want something to fall back on, and also to mark points such as vehicle location, cabin location.  I'm a no frills low tech person. I hunt with an old Jennings bow, and 12g and .30-06 pumps.   Would I be happy with a Garmin Etrex 10? 

44 mins ago, Eagles Dare said:

HuntStand on your smartphone. I've got an old Magellan SportTrak GPS that sits at home ever since I installed that app. 

How does it do in areas with no cell service ?

1 hour ago, DMacLeod said:

It caches the maps so it'll work without cell service. You do have to go to the map of your area first when you've got service. Not sure how large an area it will cache for offline use. Probably not the best if you're hunting all over Maine in the same week.

8 hours ago, DMacLeod said:

Trying to get away from this. Phones are a crapshoot up there.  Thanks fellas!

10 hours ago, Eagles Dare said:

HuntStand on your smartphone. I've got an old Magellan SportTrak GPS that sits at home ever since I installed that app. 

I'm just not that comfortable with the phone.   I carry weatherproof maps from  MyTopo along with several compasses.  The GPS would serve as a secondary to mark waypoints. 

A stand alone GPS is a worthy investment, Over the past 17 years I have had 3.  They have gotten much better, but also more complicated. My current unit,  a Garmin Alpha has more stuff than I know what to do with. 

My advice get a unit that easily allows you to set and find again, "Truck" that's  likely 90% of what most of us need. Everything else is gravy or clutter depending on your enthusiasm for such things. Rechargeable units are nice if they include a car charger.

:v:

Edited by gadwall8

3 hours ago, D1fishr said:

I'm just not that comfortable with the phone.   I carry weatherproof maps from  MyTopo along with several compasses.  The GPS would serve as a secondary to mark waypoints. 

It's good to have redundancy. I always carry a compass as well. Never know when the phone might crap out. I do carry an extra battery pack for it. And most of the places I hunt I've been to 1000 times, but it's still very possible to get turned around in the dark or a snowstorm. 

10 hours ago, gadwall8 said:

A stand alone GPS is a worthy investment, Over the past 17 years I have had 3.  They have gotten much better, but also more complicated. My current unit,  a Garmin Alpha has more stuff than I know what to do with. 

My advice get a unit that easily allows you to set and find again, "Truck" that's  likely 90% of what most of us need. Everything else is gravy or clutter depending on your enthusiasm for such things. Rechargeable units are nice if they include a car charger.

:v:

That's about all I use mine for.  Truck, sometimes stand or scrape.   

I carry a compass as well.   Just in case

On November 13, 2018 at 8:22 AM, Eagles Dare said:

It's good to have redundancy. I always carry a compass as well. Never know when the phone might crap out. I do carry an extra battery pack for it. And most of the places I hunt I've been to 1000 times, but it's still very possible to get turned around in the dark or a snowstorm. 

I agree. I never count on the phone when I venture. Pack smart but light, and prepare for "it" to happen!  "It" will break, fail, burn out, become worthless, etc when you need it the most. 

On X hunts is awesome, you pay yearly for the state you want, but it also gives you plot lines for the area and who is the owner of record, comes in handy when there is a dispute that may be on private property, or allows you to contact said owner.   you can plot tracks, waypoints and cache maps for off line use.  

On 11/12/2018 at 6:20 PM, DMacLeod said:

Garmin etrex, works great and less than 100 bucks.

thats the ticket, I turn it on at the truck and add a mark, turn it off and if needed turn it on heading back