Deep Hole

Help with jigging Rod for Canal

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Good Morning,

Happy Veterans Day. I’d like to see if I could get some suggestions for a jigging rod for the Canal. I currently using a Shimano Tiralejo 11’ 2-6 oz. and a BG 500 with Super Pro 40LB. and 20 lb leaders. I’m looking for more distance and more feel on the bottom. I'm getting long in the tooth and need help with distance compared to many guys I watch. If you're not losing jigs your not fishing them correctly. I must be jigging correctly.

I’m also looking for Knockoffs for SP Minnows large.

Thanks for your help.

John

Is "20 lb. leaders" a typo? Isn't that a bit light?  I might use that on an open sand beach, but the canal?

A high-end blank might add a little distance, but I respectfully suggest a casting lesson with Ron Arra would be a better investment. 

Well whats your price range? Canal jigging is a bit different than plugging. Distance shouldn't be your primary concern, rather the ability to handle heavy jigs and work them off the bottom. A reasonably priced rod is the 11' TFO, rated 3-8 oz. Its very fast action which makes for a good jigging stick.

My favorite jigging stick would be the ODM Jigster. Its a great all around canal rod and will handle any jig you care to throw, though it will definitly come with a much higher price tag.

I'll agree with Brian, the Tiralejo is a pretty solid casting rod within its weight range. You could be loosing casting distance because of A) poor form or B) your throwing jigs outside of the rods sweet spot for weight.

40# line is fine for the ditch, 20# leaders are light. I like to have at least 40# leaders at the ditch. I run a 50# main line and 40# leader on all my jigging setups. If I do get hung up my leaders will break before my main line, saving the braid.

That rod is more than capable of casting very far distances and any rod that would be more suited for jigging (stiffer tip) would almost guarantee shorter casts.  

I would suggest working on your casting technique, and going lower on the braid pound test.  That will likely improve your distance more than any rod upgrade would, imo. 

Also, 20lb leaders are much too light duty.  40lb at a minimum for jigging, imo. 

I will also add that if you're losing jigs often, you are likely throwing too heavy of a weight.  You shouldn't be losing them all the time to be jigging correctly.  

hi buddy, there is a up and coming "Jigging Rod" guys are using, at Canal, is the BLACK-HOLE Cape Cod Surf 2 Heavy 3-10oz. rod, this rod comes in either 10 or 11ft. , these rods are made for jigging, not really as a " all around canal rod ", as the B.H. rod, is not soft in the tip section, casting jigs is one thing, but to my way of thinking, the rods ability to lift, hold and allow the jig to flutter back down are a more important consideration, ,,,than casting, a shorter rod say 10ft. is more preferred, cause when fighting of a larger striper,when jigging, fish could get better leverage, with longer rod.....

Thanks to all of you for your replies. That was a mis print, I've been usinging 40 pound Seaguar Blue for leaders. The Shimano Tiralejo feel like 4 and 5 oz jigs or Buck heads is just to much for this Rod. I use mostley 4/5 OZ. jigs and buck heads and sometimes a 3 OZ. As an example the Al Gag's 4 oz heads with soft tail is acually abour 5.5 oz. I'm thinking this is the very top end for this rod and outside it's sweet zone????

For jigging, most fish aren't in the middle. Save your money, throw 3-4oz jigs closer to shore, drift them farther down by feeding line, and catch more fish. My advice would be to focus on 1-2 spots next season for jigging and learn them very very well. You will learn the bottom, won't lose jigs, and will catch plenty of fish.

That Shimano should be able to handle it, and I personally don't mind a mod/fast rod for jigging. Caught as many fish on an old Star Paraflex 1-5 as I did on an FSC Predator and ODM Jigster. Fish don't care about the speed of the blank or distance casted.

I agree with Clint regarding where the fish seem to be.  I am more a novice at the canal but almost all my jigged fish came towards the end of a drift, meaning closer to shore.  I use a 10' Tica Dolphin for jigging and it made pretty quick work of a 43" bass this year.  

Lots of great tips about how distance really is overrated (unless fish are breaking on top way out in the middle), learning spots, ect. 

I don't catch many fish but have tried quite a few rods out (most <$150 - $250 retail). Here are my dumb questions first since you mentioned you have a tough time feeling the bottom and getting distance.

1. Are you casting 15 to 30 degrees up-current? I'd assume so but you definitely want the jig to be near the bottom by about the time it is straight in front of you.
2. Try a few different style heads, I feel they all have different feels from savage/al gags/joe bags to generics.
3. Do you typically carry a couple rods or just one? I find that my jigging rod I hate trying to plug with and my plugging rod would not come close to the weights I jig with.

4. What's your estimate on how far a good cast goes for you? I'd say if you are hitting anywhere from ~75 yards yards up to 1/2 the distance of a normal section of the canal, you are doing pretty well. As others have mentioned, plenty of times the fish are sitting only 25-50 yards from shore.  

Remember, longer casts = more potential for others to tangle with you especially when its shoulder to shoulder. 

I'd say "upgrade" the rod as your last option.  If you are intent on buying, try to get to a casting event (especially if held at the canal) to try some out in person. 

No such thing as a perfect rod (at least from my preferences and the low to mid priced rods I have tried).

Would be interested to hear other's opinions, but to me, you can go more sensitive (i.e. lighter rated rod) or higher lure weight, if you go with a lighter rod, you may have some difficulty if you hook into a cow in heavy current. Go with a heavier jig, and you probably are going to wind up losing more jigs and more wear and tear on your arms/shoulders. Example is my favorite jigging rod is a TFO 10'6" 2-6, can cast down to 1.5-2 oz and up to 4 oz head plus a body (5.5 oz), but I guarantee that on plus tides with big fish, I definitely wish it had a bit more backbone. I have a Star VPR 11' 3-8, and while it isn't as sensitive especially around the 2/3/4 oz range, I have much more confidence in its large fish fighting ability. Definitely take into consideration warranty and customer service as well. 

Try some different heads and jig bodies, savage/joe baggs is more aerodynamic and will go farther than gags or can drop faster, but each profile has times when they work much better than others. Don't be afraid to try different depths as well, although the big girls spend a ton of time on the bottom, plenty of other times have found the fish higher up in the middle of the column. 

Good luck with your decision and keep using the resources here, lots of guys with a ton of knowledge and experience with what has worked for them and I know I've learned a ton. 

Thanks so much. I have tried the Jigs you mentioned. Hey, it's all good. I've been having a great time down there at the canal. I've read so much about the local jerks that think they own the canal. I haven't found that at all. Probably because I'm getting long in the tooth and they don't think I'm much competition, or maybe it's the purple heart plates. Whatever, 99 percent of the people I have met have been very nice and informative as well. If I'm within 25 yards of anyone I ask them if I'm invading their space and I try to fish ti fish with the utmost respect to others. But I guess everyone has their fishing secrets about the canal. No one has been giving up any of their secret jigging spots and that's understandable as well. 

I have found a lot of interesting information here as well. You have an interesting username. There has to be a good story there. I'm already looking forward to next spring.

Thanks

Edited by Johhygolf