biggstriper

Deer Steaks

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

I usually do it on the grill. Grill must be HOT. I coat it with olive oil then sprinkle seasonings. The meat is super lean and dries out easily. The olive oil adds fat, flavor, moisture, and helps the seasonings to stick to it. I like eating it right off the grill with a fork. That's when it's juiciest and the best. 

Backstraps & tenderloins are probably my favorite cuts. 

I don't do steaks. I cut my deer into roasts,  For a perfect edge to edge medium rare-  3lb roast at 275 to 120 degrees internal temperature, rest for 45 minutes, rub with butter, season, return to a 450 oven for 15 minutes or internal temp 130 degrees, rest 20 min, carve, amaze your friends and family ;)

:v:

most people that say venison is tough/gamey are usually over-cooking. 

lots of mythology about venison abounds and it is quite unfortunate.

My favorite is "don't cook venison bone-in because it will taste gamey".

I usually take a whole leg or shoulder and slow roast (low and slow)  in white-wine garlic and shallots with root veggies.

Backstraps are usually lightly seasoned in salt and pepper or lightly marinated in Worcestershire .

Hot grill or frying pan and just sear both sides.

I've been lucky since may hunters I know will call me with shoulders or ribs that for some bizarre reason they won't eat.

I prefer quarters and ribs to backstraps these days. Same with wild hog.

Straps and loins medium rare. Heart sliced down and cooked  in a red hot cast iron skillet... while my buddies fight over the liver.  All the following go to the processor for baloney and meat sticks- Neck meat in a ziploc bag, front and rear quarters whole.

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 8:36 AM, gadwall8 said:

I don't do steaks. I cut my deer into roasts,  For a perfect edge to edge medium rare-  3lb roast at 275 to 120 degrees internal temperature, rest for 45 minutes, rub with butter, season, return to a 450 oven for 15 minutes or internal temp 130 degrees, rest 20 min, carve, amaze your friends and family ;)

How long do you cook it the first part of the cooking?

1 hour ago, biggstriper said:

How long do you cook it the first part of the cooking?

Maybe 45-60 minutes. You need a good digital thermometer, always go by temperature-not time.

I just fixed my oven. The control board went out and I got a new one online. I think I'll relay this info to my sister who has a bigger household. I don't think she knows how to cook deer steaks or roasts.