D_L

Suggestion for Mounting Dive Knife

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

Looking to mount an old Tekna Dive Knife to an Ultimate Surf Belt.  Would prefer to mount it vertically. Running a flatlander Blitz bag on the belt.  I've looked at the Surf Belt Pic thread. Any suggestions appreciated. 

TIA D_L

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

You said you want to mount vertically, as in straight up and down? Then a really dumb question, does the blitz belt fit through that large belt loop? 

I have similar setup and did not like how much play there was once the knife sheath was threaded on to the belt. Wobbled from Sid to side and slipped up and down.

I took two long black zip ties and attached them together to make one long tie. I then wrappped them around the belt and top and bottom of sheath's mount loop and pulled tight. This reduced the belt loop opening and locked the sheath in place. Downside is, sheath won’t kove without cutting zip ties. 

I could have used one long long zip tie but the long ones I had were too think and did not bend at angles easily. Better to use two thinner ones, and take advantage of the two right angles that would be formed where they were attached. 

I say necker.

I have a few spyderco caspian salt knives that I run some chord through some spear gun sling rubber (so the chord doen't pull my hair out.)

I don't know how many years i've been doin it that way...But I prefer it over a belt mount....plus side...I don't have to worry about stabbing a hole in my waders.....Just my nick :)

52 mins ago, tomkaz said:

You said you want to mount vertically, as in straight up and down? Then a really dumb question, does the blitz belt fit through that large belt loop? 

I have similar setup and did not like how much play there was once the knife sheath was threaded on to the belt. Wobbled from Sid to side and slipped up and down.

I took two long black zip ties and attached them together to make one long tie. I then wrappped them around the belt and top and bottom of sheath's mount loop and pulled tight. This reduced the belt loop opening and locked the sheath in place. Downside is, sheath won’t kove without cutting zip ties. 

I could have used one long long zip tie but the long ones I had were too think and did not bend at angles easily. Better to use two thinner ones, and take advantage of the two right angles that would be formed where they were attached. 

Yeah mount it straight up and down. The belt won't fit through the loop. A zip tie could work. But wouldn't that be mounting it horizontally?

8 hours ago, D_L said:

Yeah mount it straight up and down. The belt won't fit through the loop. A zip tie could work. But wouldn't that be mounting it horizontally?

No, vertical. Difficult to explain. From outside of belt, you see two zip tie pieces, one horizontal across the top and one horizontal across the bottom. They crisscross in the back making an X pattern. You can play with similar arrangement, maybe using two wraps of ties, one inside the sheath’s loop and one over the front of it. 

Alternatively, do X patterns on both sides with the second set of ties. 

22 mins ago, tomkaz said:

No, vertical. Difficult to explain. From outside of belt, you see two zip tie pieces, one horizontal across the top and one horizontal across the bottom. They crisscross in the back making an X pattern. You can play with similar arrangement, maybe using two wraps of ties, one inside the sheath’s loop and one over the front of it. 

Alternatively, do X patterns on both sides with the second set of ties. 

Ok Got it. Thanks

1 hour ago, derangler said:

As mentioned, two zip ties crossed in an X will keep it in one spot.

Yeah I try that tonight.  Thanks

Zip ties as I described above. Rock solid, except can’t be moved along belt without snipping ties first. 

2AAC8CAC-34CF-4EDB-95D1-2AFBA323B6C6.jpeg.b724563b93c01f0316b0424b213efdb8.jpeg

4A3E10DE-934F-43DB-B267-935272EF56F5.jpeg.93a7bc319d72ae504e7abee28c298e31.jpeg

I made a loop out of kydex and riveted that to the back of the dive knife sheath. The knife now hangs from my surf belt as any sheath knife would.