Mummichog

Shot the New Rifle

Rate this topic

81 posts in this topic

Took the new Savage Axis in 7mm-08 to the range today and ran a box of factory ammo through it.  Remington Corelokt 140 grains.  Sighted in at 50 yards and then at 100.  1 hole group at 50 and about 1.25 or 1.5 inches at 100.  I will hand load 140 grain Barnes Triple Shocks this week and see how I can group them.  Love the little gun.  Light, handy and mild recoil.  The 3 shots that are on top of each other are the 3 round group.  Also shot a few at an 8 inch gong.  

Also put about 40 rounds through the 6.5 Creedmoor.  Banging the gong at 200 yards.

6139494C-A03B-45F1-8284-9181E7F1C82B.jpeg

A5EA1568-C47C-4CD7-B4DB-0C1BCDE8B68A.MOV

4 mins ago, sevenxseventy01 said:

Uhmn, how interesting. What do you gone use that rifle for? Elephants are not legal game in the USA. 

I suppose you have an issue with this too? :dismay:

13 mins ago, sevenxseventy01 said:

Uhmn, how interesting. What do you gone use that rifle for? Elephants are not legal game in the USA. 

It is a 7mm-08. Better for kangaroo.

15 mins ago, sevenxseventy01 said:

Considering the only elephants one can find in the US are in zoos, I’d think it’s safe to say not. 

21 mins ago, Mummichog said:

Took the new Savage Axis in 7mm-08 to the range today and ran a box of factory ammo through it.  Remington Corelokt 140 grains.  Sighted in at 50 yards and then at 100.  1 hole group at 50 and about 1.25 or 1.5 inches at 100.  I will hand load 140 grain Barnes Triple Shocks this week and see how I can group them.  Love the little gun.  Light, handy and mild recoil.  The 3 shots that are on top of each other are the 3 round group.  Also shot a few at an 8 inch gong.  

Also put about 40 rounds through the 6.5 Creedmoor.  Banging the gong at 200 yards.

6139494C-A03B-45F1-8284-9181E7F1C82B.jpeg

A5EA1568-C47C-4CD7-B4DB-0C1BCDE8B68A.MOV

Open sights or did you put optics on it? I’ve always read that rifle is a great choice especially having a reasonable price tag 

Edited by chessie_yaker

14 mins ago, sevenxseventy01 said:

Elephants?  7mm-08?  Are you certain you are thinking of the right round?  7mm-08 is a classic whitetail round.

2 mins ago, Mummichog said:

Elephants?  7mm-08?  Are you certain you are thinking of the right round?  7mm-08 is a classic whitetail round.

I'm pretty sure 7numbers has issues with any firearms. 

Of course i have an issue with rifles and this country being an armed camp.

Mummichog, as an ex lethal hunter, i feel really bad for the animals i killed....

Listen, i get more pleasure observing them and their behavior than i ever did by hunting them down and killing them.

As you get older, you will learn stuff.

:howdy:

1 min ago, sevenxseventy01 said:

Of course i have an issue with rifles and this country being an armed camp.

Mummichog, as an ex lethal hunter, i feel really bad for the animals i killed....

Listen, i get more pleasure observing them and their behavior than i ever did by hunting them down and killing them.

As you get older, you will learn stuff.

:howdy:

Is there any hunting that isn’t lethal and successful