FlatWing

When considering purchase of a used Van Staal....

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

I recently observed used VS sales in which false claims of USA manufacture were made, vis-à-vis the Serial Numbers are higher than 7000.  I will say no more, I simply hate to see my fellow SOLer's exploited, so I am attaching a link to the thread I previously started on the same subject...

5 hours ago, FlatWing said:

I recently observed used VS sales in which false claims of USA manufacture were made, vis-à-vis the Serial Numbers are higher than 7000.  I will say no more, I simply hate to see my fellow SOLer's exploited, so I am attaching a link to the thread I previously started on the same subject...

I am not sure your serial # information is accurate. I have a 85×× serial number that I still have the receipt from when I bought it new in 2005. That reel was advertised as made in USA. When did they start producing parts in China? That would probably answer the question. The later models from China are specifically marked on the box and the reel.

Rather than the answer coming from me, please read the imbedded post, which quotes Capt. Craig Cantelamo's e-mail to me of 9/7/2018.  Prior to receiving this e-mail, I thought I owned 6 made in the USA VS's, as only my VS150B of serial number 19XXX says Made in China on the box.  Come to find out that, to again quote from Craig's e-mail: "All reels that are SN#7000 or above are made in China or had all the parts made in our plant in China."  

Edited by FlatWing

11 hours ago, FlatWing said:

Rather than the answer coming from me, please read the imbedded post, which quotes Capt. Craig Cantelamo's e-mail to me of 9/7/2018.  Prior to receiving this e-mail, I thought I owned 6 made in the USA VS's, as only my VS150B of serial number 19XXX says Made in China on the box.  Come to find out that, to again quote from Craig's e-mail: "All reels that are SN#7000 or above are made in China or had all the parts made in our plant in China."  

Yeah I read the email. So, who is really doing the exploiting here? The BST sellers who may not be aware that the reels not marked made in China, were not made or fully made in USA as advertised and marketed...or Van Staal who may have sold some of the reels under false pretenses while parts were being machined in China. That's why I asked when they started producing parts in China, I wonder if Capt. Craig can answer that question?

11 hours ago, FlatWing said:

Copy and paste Craig's e-mail here

I think you got that quote wrong. Reels under SN 7000 series were made in US and covered under the lifetime warranty if it was serviced every year. 

Not sure of the transition to Chinese manufacturing, but think it was in the high teens. 

7 hours ago, patabate said:

I think you got that quote wrong. Reels under SN 7000 series were made in US and covered under the lifetime warranty if it was serviced every year. 

Not sure of the transition to Chinese manufacturing, but think it was in the high teens. 

Exactly! It was those reels the company offered a exchange for a new reel to eliminate the life time warranty on the reel.

I have VS 200 that was purchased right around the time when VS made the transition to being made in China. Most tackle stores at the time where sold out when I tried to purchase mine. I found a tackle store west of the shore area that still had one in stock,(EFINGER) no longer open.

Lou T

Edited by Lou T

I have two VS, American made reels, one VS 200  S/N# (14XXX), and one VS 250 S/N# (9XXX)

Lou T

I have a VS 150 G serial number 12,xxx.box and paper work, lists that it was made in tulsa, OK.

no stamp on the reel foot of “Made in China”.

I have a couple reels made in China as well and can not tell the difference in the quality of the reel. If anything the China made reel is as smooth if not smoother!

Last winter I tested out a rod that had a new VSX275 on it. That reel was smooth as butter from what I'm use to from Van Staal.

Hope this helps @FlatWing can not see the point your trying to make.

Lou T

Edited by Lou T

13 hours ago, Lou T said:

Copy and paste Craig's e-mail here

As requested, with my personal data redacted by x's - carryover from my DoN PII training.  By the way, I am not trying to make any point, nor do I have some sort of agenda -  read my OP again, including the imbedded one in which I state that I have both USA made, USA assembled and China made VS's, and could not be happier with any of them.  I was simply sharing info I received in writing from the person at Van Staal who has been there the longest, as I see this question come up over and again.

Sent: Friday, September 7, 2018 9:43 AM
To: Flatwing@xxxx.com
Cc: Mona Scott <mscott@zebco.com>
Subject: RE: Spacer between side plate bearing and main gear on VS

Xxxx,

Thank you for the email and for being a loyal Van Staal customer.  Let me answer your question in order:

Please order spacer washers from Saltwaters Tackle in West Islip and any other seals you may need for either your VS or VR reels.  Saltwaters Tackle:  939 Montauk Hwy, West Islip, NY  11795, 631-5399422

All reels that are SN#7000 or above are made in China or had all the parts made in our plant in China.

Remember, you lose your limited lifetime warranty if you don’t have our Authorized Service and Warranty Center at Saltwaters Tackle service the reels within a calendar year.  We’ll still service the reel after that but you need to pay for parts.

Also the VR200 is self serviceable and you can get all the seals and parts you need directly from Saltwaters Tackle.

Hope I answered all of your questions,

Craig Cantelmo

Van Staal