Rate this topic

Chipnice

I know people use them but you have to keep in mind that the tippet is the first thing to get trashed during the day with wind knots, abrasions and kinks and have to be replaced sometimes two or more times in one day and the tipet is still the same length when you started. It;s not just about the tippet getting short.

I guess I'm sill old fashioned and take pride in making good knots. It's the little things like knots that I enjoy doing, not giving it up.

Edited by bonefishdick

The Tug Is The Drug

P1060161avrs.JPG.4cfec72f29b8d59afe85d0e7a9d85266.JPG

I use the 50lb tactical anglers clip when I am in searching mode with fly rod and I don't know what fish are keyed in on.  I am fishing a sinking line and I change my fly pattern every 5 minutes.  The patterns are very different profiles: Bunker, large eel, mullet, and small baitfish.  I have found they have zero negative impact on the fly's action because they act just like a loop knot.  It takes me about 30 seconds or less to change flies so if you are going to change flies frequently I think this is good way to go.  I also generally only use them when fishing in deeper in the water column.  If you are trying to keep flies near the surface and they are small flies then these clips become a major problem as they will add weight and sink the fly.  When searching near the surface I started using Steve's three fly pretied leader rig.  This lets me fish three flies at a time instead of changing flies regularly.  I don't like multiple flies with heavy sink tips near bottom it always seems to lead to lots of snags.

On 11/14/2018 at 8:33 AM, ccb said:

Don't like them. 

If I am fishing with lighter line 10-15lbs I prefer to just tie non-slip loop knots and cut back my leader, but since I am usually using 30lb leader which is much more of pain to tie knots with I prefer attaching the clip with a Palomar knot to the leader and changing flies on the clip.  I can definitely understand why people would not like using the clips and for light line 15lbs or less I think you are better off just using knots.  I recently had to switch to the 125lb clips when using 7/0 hooks because of the hook wire thickness I needed a bigger clip.  So 20-25lb line (hook size 6/0 or smaller) use the 50lb clip and 30-40lb line use the 125lb clip (hook size 7/0 or bigger).  If you are fishing shallow clear water in daylight I would not use the clips at all and would use the non slip loop knot to make sure presentation looks as natural as possible.  I should clarify that I am not using any tapered leader just 30-40 inches of straight mono or fluorocarbon material directly off fly line/sink tip as the leader and I am fishing in the dark almost exclusively.

Tactical Anglers Power Clips

Edited by The Graveyard Shift

On 11/14/2018 at 6:59 AM, The Graveyard Shift said:

I use the 50lb tactical anglers clip when I am in searching mode with fly rod and I don't know what fish are keyed in on.  I am fishing a sinking line and I change my fly pattern every 5 minutes.  The patterns are very different profiles: Bunker, large eel, mullet, and small baitfish.  I have found they have zero negative impact on the fly's action because they act just like a loop knot.  It takes me about 30 seconds or less to change flies so if you are going to change flies frequently I think this is good way to go.  I also generally only use them when fishing in deeper in the water column.  If you are trying to keep flies near the surface and they are small flies then these clips become a major problem as they will add weight and sink the fly.  When searching near the surface I started using Steve's three fly pretied leader rig.  This lets me fish three flies at a time instead of changing flies regularly.  I don't like multiple flies with heavy sink tips near bottom it always seems to lead to lots of snags.

Thanks for this explanation - I am persuaded to experiment with this tactic.  Though usually my search mode for stripers is focused on changing location rather than type of fly.

13 hours ago, pkw1689 said:

Thanks for this explanation - I am persuaded to experiment with this tactic.  Though usually my search mode for stripers is focused on changing location rather than type of fly.

I move spots frequently too typically 30 mins or less per area.  Not needing to retie allows me to fish several different flies at each location.  Some periods of the year I am not certain as to what bait they are feeding on particularly when fishing inlets or at the Canal so I like to present different options at multiple depths.  I can use a heavy sink tip and change from a fast sinking fly to a slow sinking to a suspending and end with a floating fly.  I find its harder to get down than stay high so this is my new way to adjust depth.  An XL double barrel slider head fly will keep my S6 line within 3 feet of water surface on a moderate retrieve in current.  Its a lot faster to use a fully integrated sinking line and adjust depth of fly by changing fly pattern quickly using the clip than using a multi-tip line and changing out sinking tips  I am constantly making minor depth adjustments while fishing and since I fish in short 2-3 hour windows I am trying to maximize how quickly I can change presentation.  If I am not getting deep enough I will add an additional sink tip to the full sinking head and because I am using loop to loop and the clip I just un clip fly and can very quickly unloop everything and reconnect loop to loop as the clip will pass through a small loop easily.

The other way I change presentation is I also like to use flies of similar sink rates and switch been size profiles go from a long sandeel to a mullet to a bunker profile before adjusting depth I am fishing at.  I catch most fish near the bottom, but I always try middle and upper third of water column too.  This year I did very little topwater fishing, but I am changing that this year so will keep a spare spool in sling pack with a floating line if I want to switch to a near surface or surface presentation.